"Enhanced Security" at various airports....

Old August 13th 03, 12:36 AM
Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo

Default "Enhanced Security" at various airports....

Recently I've had to make various trips down south [commercial] due to
my father's health. As he's 88 even a simple cold can and often does
turn into pneumonia, the bane of senior aged folks. And rather quickly.

Anyway, in my area, so-termed "enhanced security" is in effect. I
mention this because various of my weekends are spent with GA types and
machines therein and it's interesting to learn how many of the GA
fraternity have not been on the commercial scene [read: sitting behind
the 'office'] in quite a few moons!

Be prepared! As some already know, you MUST produce a valid [read: non
expired ---check!] photo ID which MUST be 'government entity' issued ---
photo ID drivers license OK. Or you don't fly! Period.

This last trip, 3 weeks ago, I was relieved by the GSA [Government
Security Administration] uniformed security folks [I could claim it upon
my return however] of my still kicking around circa "Class of '68-'70"
US Army Zippo lighter [Inscribed: MACVSOG...don't ask! Check the
website.... ] not due to any known no smoking regs or matters, no-no,
but rather the alleged potential of the passenger to use a lighter and
go bananas forthwith and suddenly begin setting fire to seats! Ohhh
yes...this is a but a taste of "enhanced security measures."

Do NOT lock your check-in baggage! Do NOT or else the locks can and WILL
be broken if your baggage is randomly picked for a look inside. When I
arrived in Florida, I noted a thin plastic seal where the two zippers
come together on the outside of the bag. Upon opening the bag, I was
greeted with a GSA printed flyer that said my baggage was selected for a
random inspection [Note: I did not have the bag locked] but the flyer
continued to say, "If locks had to be forced open to inspect your bag,
we [*GSA] " ... regret any inconvenience to you but GSA will not be
responsible for any damage therein." Note that well the next time you
fly commercial and also have any check-in at the counter baggage. Secure
the bag but don't lock it! The GSA website has the rules on their
website! Worth a look!

Lady in front of me had one of those day-of-the-week plastic drug
containers but did not have her Rx [or copy of same] with her so that
the meds could be identified. She was taken to a room and I don't know
what happen from there! In effect, while a good many of the GA brethren
are generally free from any Rx meds for obvious FAA mandated reasons,
folks you travel with may have meds they require for any number of
things so make sure you have a copy of the Rx to show what those meds
are or, better still, use the Rx bottle they came in! Again, this is
"enhanced security."

Finally...in the Philly hub...guy presented his photo drivers license ID
but it was expired. Bizzzzz! He argued the point rather vociferously to
the tune of 'what the $$#$ difference does that make..you can see it's
me...and assorted other comments...but the next thing I observed was a
veritable small army of ARMED folks making with the "This way, Sir..."
strong-arm thing. I didn't see the guy subsequent to his voiced
displeasure.

Lately...and this very recently in the news, they are thinking of
prohibiting all cell phones in the cabin [the 'reasoning' [!] behind
this one escapes me] but will allow same to be transported in the
check-in baggage. This one, so I understand, is pending approval.

Totally different ball game these days when you go [or have to] go
commercial.

Doc Tony

BTW..anyone in the group who is commercial connected for their
livlihood...WHY is it that all manner of deals can be found if one does
the round-trip [R/T] fare thing but the fare on the same plane and same
airline can almost TRIPLE in cost if you fly only one way? Sometimes,
when family emergencies strike and you have to get there FAST, hey,
commercial jet travel is the only way to go [unless of course you have
your own Citation or whatever --and-- the ticket/ratings to go with it]
but a one way trip is sometimes necessary and prudent because one just
doesn't know the extent of 'time' the emergency can last and so a R/T
ticket may have to be wasted. Yet one way fares are often prohibitive! Why?

My R/T from NY to FLA was a decent $458 [NOT waiting the usual 14 days
for the discount fare] BUT a 'one way' on the same plane and same
airline and same destination was a mind boggling $688! Why such a wide
disparity in fares between R/T tickets and a one way ticket?

Old August 13th 03, 01:03 AM
BTIZ

I believe you mean TSA.. not GSA

Lady in front of me had one of those day-of-the-week plastic drug
containers but did not have her Rx [or copy of same] with her so that
the meds could be identified. She was taken to a room and I don't know
what happen from there! In effect, while a good many of the GA brethren
are generally free from any Rx meds for obvious FAA mandated reasons,
folks you travel with may have meds they require for any number of
things so make sure you have a copy of the Rx to show what those meds
are or, better still, use the Rx bottle they came in! Again, this is
"enhanced security."

This has always been true..

Finally...in the Philly hub...guy presented his photo drivers license ID
but it was expired. Bizzzzz! He argued the point rather vociferously to
the tune of 'what the $$#$ difference does that make..you can see it's
me...and assorted other comments...but the next thing I observed was a
veritable small army of ARMED folks making with the "This way, Sir..."
strong-arm thing. I didn't see the guy subsequent to his voiced
displeasure.

The rules do say "valid" ID.. an expired ID is not "Valid".. ask the next
cop that pulls you over and writes a ticket for an "expired" license, along
with the ticket for the reason he pulled you over.

Lately...and this very recently in the news, they are thinking of
prohibiting all cell phones in the cabin [the 'reasoning' [!] behind
this one escapes me] but will allow same to be transported in the
check-in baggage. This one, so I understand, is pending approval.

The questions on "cell phones" is because one of the recent terrorist
bombings in the "middle east"?? could have been IRAQ... was denoted by
calling the cell phone.. when it rang... KABoom!!

BT

Old August 13th 03, 01:25 AM
Ron McKinnon

"BTIZ" wrote in message
The rules do say "valid" ID.. an expired ID is not "Valid".. ask the next
cop that pulls you over and writes a ticket for an "expired" license,

along
with the ticket for the reason he pulled you over.

Interesting. This comes from the licence-as-id situation. The
licence may have expired and be therefore not usable for driving,
which is what the grant of license is about in the first place. But
does this necessarily mean the validity as identification should expire
also? If it was ever valid as a licence, it was not forged, and was
issued by a suitably-official source - if it ever identified the holder
it
would seem to still do so. This is not to say that you'd ever get
a security guy to buy it. You'd need a court case or two to establish
the point.

Old August 13th 03, 01:33 AM
Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo

BTIZ wrote:
I believe you mean TSA.. not GSA

Correct, BT, "TSA", I stand duly corrected on that one.

Point of the piece however was not an exercise in grousing but rather to
alert folks who have to go the commercial route that things are
different now. Since 9-11.

So too, and here we may have some disagreement, while I'm among the
first to recognize the critical need for airport security, it's also
true that there 'is' this tendency for the government to become
overzealous in their efforts a la the previous national 55MPH speed
limit which was supposed to be the alleged panacea for all manner of
motoring ailments and conservation efforts. So too, and in any agency
and any level, certain folks get a bit carried away with their
authority, as self-interpreted of course, and assume the demeanor of an
ad hoc Führer. It happens. But then that's the trade-off.

On the other hand, I have some difficulty with folks who say that the
tragedy of 9-11 had 'no effect' [!] on our way of doing business or
living the American dream. It's a whole new world and I can only hope
that we're not reduced to the 'stare' so to speak as if to say 'is
he/she or isn't he/she' one of 'them' ...whoever 'them' happens to be at
the moment.

Doc Tony

Old August 13th 03, 01:33 AM
Greg Burkhart

"Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo" wrote in message
This last trip, 3 weeks ago, I was relieved by the GSA [Government
Security Administration] uniformed security folks [I could claim it upon
my return however] of my still kicking around circa "Class of '68-'70"
US Army Zippo lighter [Inscribed: MACVSOG...don't ask! Check the
website.... ] not due to any known no smoking regs or matters, no-no,
but rather the alleged potential of the passenger to use a lighter and
go bananas forthwith and suddenly begin setting fire to seats! Ohhh
yes...this is a but a taste of "enhanced security measures."

I have found the few times that I have flown on the airlines recently that
security is inconsistant. Sometimes they wouldn't take a second look at my
Zippo and other times told me to leave it behind or put it in my checked
baggage. Matches were OK to take...

Totally different ball game these days when you go [or have to] go
commercial.

The 'local' airport which has 3 or 4 airline fights per day installed may
new security features in the terminal. The thing is you can walk over to the
FBO 50 feet away to get onto the same ramp. A lot of the security at most
airports is so Joe Q Public thinks there is 'some' security.

[...]

The times that I flew one-way, I usually bought the round trip ticket for
cheaper and didn't use the return ticket. One time I wanted to buy a 1-way
ticket between Fort Dodge (FOD) to Mason City(MCW) but the $400+ cost for
the 52km trip was out of my budget. A round trip ticket between FOD and MSP
with a stop at MCW (each way) was 'only' $200+. Decided to drive instead...

--
According to the good folks at NASA, Mars will be closer to Earth than at
any other time in the last 50,000 years this coming August 27'th...

Plan on going outside that night and waving...
Hey, it's only neighborly, right?

Old August 13th 03, 02:38 AM
Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo

Peter Duniho wrote:
"Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo" wrote in message

Point of the piece however was not an exercise in grousing but rather to
alert folks who have to go the commercial route that things are
different now.

Really? Do tell.

I did, Peter!

I wouldn't have guessed it.

Slow under-study?

Amazing what one can learn
with the Usenet.

Which de facto explains why you've come back!

Ta-Dum. ;-) [*Now Peter...I'm diligently trusting in your neurons
making the requisite synaptic leaps 'before' one of them gets mis-fired
and does a short final, as it were, and whispers to your auditory
channels, to wit, 'Hey! The Doc may not be kidding, man!' ....

Nahhhh. I wouldn't take this approach if I had you pegged for a yoyo.
But this you know.

That done, what....

Seriously though, don't get me wrong.

I know your stuff, Peter, be assured....besides, if the crowd gets ugly
in the RAS av group, hey, you know how that can go!

I love your rambling posts...you're
the only hard-to-read Usenet poster

Cu Less movement of the lips...more concentration! ;-)

Don Parker: "Hahahahhahahahaha!"

Al Denelsbeck: "Shhhh! Go back to shaving, man!" [from the 'Flight of
the Phoenix' bit... ] Nice group that...like your buddy 'X' [you know
who]...passed-on some years ago however and is 'still' waiting to be
informed of his demise despite your best efforts of such PIREP
advisories. But then, Peter, 'De mortuis nil nisi bonum', yes?

I bother to read through, just because
it's fun to do so, and there's almost always something of interest in there.

That was the wind-up...and now for the 'pitch' ....

But really, did we really need to be told that traveling by commercial
airline is different since 9/11?

YOU read it!

Is that really supposed to be some sort of
breaking news? Who's out there claiming that 9/11 has had no effect on life
in America? I know I wish it hadn't -- after all, most of the changes play
right into the terrorists' hands

The operative word, of course, being 'changes' and I would agree!

-- but I've yet to meet a person who
actually thinks it hadn't.

Just curious...

Well, that of course depends on just who you meet and talk to and I'm
not at al being facetious. Remember Peter, there were some who
vociferously felt that the Iraq thing was the 'only way' to go...I did
not...nor did various others. But that's another story and perhaps
stemming from my years as a member of the 'Green Machine' and wondering,
AFTER I saw the Wall in DC, and also remembering my homecoming BTW when
RVN ribbons and CIB's were targets for eggs and insults, what the hell
was it all for! Then we move up to Mr. Bush Jr. and his publicly telling
the UN it lacks a spine while launching his war based on more hype
rather than fact. Interesting how it became a 20/20 hindsight thing
'after' the fact and THEN come those voiced reservations previously not
to be heard.

Back to aviation, well, I believe the tragedy of 9-11 made a tremendous
difference in this nation but I've also met folks who do tend to
minimize its effect perhaps because they may not be directly effected by
same or their life centers around the armchair. Or the talk show
circuit. You know as well as I do Peter that it's a mixed bag out there
and I daresay that there are even a few floating around who would
comment 9-WHO? That happens too.

I like your stuff, Peter, because you say what you feel and are rather a
lone wolf as I am. But then perhaps we both subscribe to old Abe who had
it right..you know...'you can please some of the folks some of the time
but never all of the folks all of the time.' But then, when I write,
although I use a very colloquial style in usenet that de facto places
requisite blinders on our friends Messrs. Strunk and White, hey, it
causes its share of responses [or whatever] and I find that interesting.

As for scribbling for coin of the realm, ahhh, well, that's a bit
different but then usenet is for relaxing. Like flying. If one can
afford it. I know a few of the brethren who would not dare to mention
their monikers sans the N-numbers and rating yet the plane hasn't moved
from the tie-down in months or they are sunshine pilots while others,
hey, it's their profession. Like I said, mixed bag. But that's good!

Doc Tony

Pete

Old August 13th 03, 02:47 AM
Tune2828

yup -- there is absolutely zero continuity between airports, and even single
agents

before you needed the boarding pass to go to the gate i'd routinely print an
itinerary from an airline web site, and confidently present it with my license
- so i could meet my mom at the plane or see someone off. not once did they
check to see it was a PAID itinerary, or ask why i didn't even have a small
carry on with me.

from my experience the TSA agents are exactly like an airline gate agent, or
bank teller, from the aspect how thorough they are depends on their mood at the
time.

if i need a fee reversed in my checking account and told no, i just call again
and another agent might do it.

some airports need tickets and i.d. to get to gates, other just tickets.

i have more hassle at grand rapids, michigan visiting family, then denver or
los angeles. probably less people pass thru, hence more scrutiny for each one.
but again no consistency.
Old August 13th 03, 02:51 AM
Ted Huffmire

"Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo" wrote:

In effect, while a good many of the GA brethren
are generally free from any Rx meds for obvious FAA mandated reasons,
folks you travel with may have meds they require for any number of
things so make sure you have a copy of the Rx to show what those meds
are or, better still, use the Rx bottle they came in! Again, this is
"enhanced security."

Yeah, the FAA is pretty meat headed about
prescriptions. They would rather pilots
not take their meds or lie about it
-- doesn't make sense.
If a 70 year old grandmother can land a
Cessna, what's the problem with someone
taking lipitor or nexium or prozac?
There are pilots with missing eyes and
limbs for gosh sakes. How many accidents
do we know for sure have been caused by banned
meds or by medical problems at all?
What do you think about this, doctor?

The issue about passengers on part 121
flights carrying medicine goes to the issue
of air travel privacy. Do we turn the
security checkpoint into a one stop shopping
police check point to look for deadbeat dads
and other societal miscreants?

Ted
Old August 13th 03, 03:01 AM
Tune2828

Do we turn the security checkpoint into a one stop shopping police check point
to look for deadbeat dads and other societal miscreants?

http://www.timesreporter.com/left.php?ID=21297&r=4

article on new passenger background checks.
Old August 13th 03, 03:58 AM
Newps

Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo wrote:

On the other hand, I have some difficulty with folks who say that the
tragedy of 9-11 had 'no effect' [!] on our way of doing business or
living the American dream. It's a whole new world and I can only hope
that we're not reduced to the 'stare' so to speak as if to say 'is
he/she or isn't he/she' one of 'them' ...whoever 'them' happens to be at
the moment.

Hardly anything has changed. I can now check in on the internet before
I go to the airport, thus bypassing the front desk. Or I can go to
curbside check in at those airports that have those, again bypassing the
front desk. Then I go stand in the security line. It has been my
experience that it takes the same amount of time now as it always did.
Obviously this can be different at each airport. Although now I take
everything out of my pockets and my watch off as the detectors are set
much tighter. I have always carried my drivers license with me so that
was a nonfactor. It doesn't take any longer to fly anywhere today than
it ever did, and it takes less time than the summer of 2000, remember
all the delays that summer?