FENAB

Old November 29th 04, 02:37 AM

Default FENAB

Could someone please tell me the definition of a FENAB? Thanks, Iıve had a
devil of a time trying to find it so this is my last resort.

Old November 29th 04, 03:14 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

Your acronym is incorrect. Itıs spelled FNAEB‹Fleet Naval Aviator
Evaluation Board. Itıs only pronounced ³fenab.² Itıs what they do to
aviators who break a jet or do bad things in the airplane.

--Woody

Old November 30th 04, 02:56 PM
Bob McKellar

What type of "OOPS" could cause loss of wings?

A momentary lapse of attention, i.e. gear up landing?

A coordination error during a complex task, i.e midair collission during
combat training or refueling?

Does it have to be a gross lack of judgment and/or failure to follow
procedures?

I await TINS-tinged examples!

Bob McKellar

Old November 30th 04, 07:02 PM

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:56:27 -0500, "Bob McKellar"
wrote:

What type of "OOPS" could cause loss of wings?

Coming back with pine branches in the wingtip of your Stoof will do
the job.

Running out of fuel in a T44A will not.

An unsuccessful "thumping" in T2 will; a downwind take-off in TA4 on a
wet runway resulting in a water induced flameout and subsequent
traumatic amputation of the tail section (caused by taking a chain
gear backwards) will not. (Note that in the TA4 example the fact that
the pilot was the COS might have some bearing on the issue.)

A momentary lapse of attention, i.e. gear up landing?

A coordination error during a complex task, i.e midair collission during
combat training or refueling?

Does it have to be a gross lack of judgment and/or failure to follow
procedures?

I await TINS-tinged examples!

Most of the time its a mishap with high "reckless disregard for the
taxpayers' property" factor.

Bill Kambic
Old December 1st 04, 03:52 AM
Elmshoot

What type of "OOPS" could cause loss of wings?

Plumber on the ball.

Shooting a test Harpoon into an Indian freighter.

Thumping another airplane and hitting them resulting in loss of both planes.

Having the COS in your right seat and doing a roll for a Tacan penetration.

Sparky
Old December 1st 04, 06:06 PM
Pechs1

Bill- A momentary lapse of attention, i.e. gear up landing? BRBR

Not always...;-o
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old December 1st 04, 07:56 PM
Jim Carriere

Bob McKellar wrote:
What type of "OOPS" could cause loss of wings?

I think my newsserver may have missed one of the posts in this
thread, but I should clarify that a FNAEB does always have to result
in the loss of one's wings, although it is usually a strong
possibility. Occasionally the subject of the board is exonerated.

Another thing, it is pretty much the worst thing that can happen to
an aviator's career.

I've also seen a couple of these boards for much lesser things
(examples- generally poor performance in the cockpit, and a very
minor mishap where a pilot was partly to blame).

As others have eluded to already, sometimes politics, uh,
"discretion" may be occasionally involved in the process.