Discussion on dealing with future ADIZ Incursions by light A/C

Old May 12th 05, 05:20 PM
Hank Rausch

Default Discussion on dealing with future ADIZ Incursions by light A/C

I would like to start a thread on what I see as the most pertinent
take-away from yesterday's incursion: How can the current responses be
modified to make the response more relevant to the threat, when the
inevitable occurs again and a pilot gets lost? Assuming pilots won't
get lost in the future doesn't seem very realistic (how many of us can
say that we were never lost?). And there seems to be general consensus
that the images on CNN of F-16's cavorting while the Cessna put-putted
its merry way, interspersed with shots of people fleeing the Capitol,
were faintly ridiculous and put the US in a bad light. So what's the
solution? CNN showed a red-green laser system they want to use to
signal pilots, but it's not clear how this would have addressed the
most recent incursion.

One of the issues is that there is no easy way to distinguish a 1200
sqawk from an L-4 (no, or minimum, threat) from the same squawk from a
G-4, which I think all of can agree could do significant damage.
Consequently, we adopt a one-resposne fits all policy to any incursion.
Are there any technological tricks which would help tailor the response
to the type of ariplane involved?

Hank Rausch
N8806T

Old May 12th 05, 05:32 PM
Larry Dighera

On 12 May 2005 09:20:01 -0700, "Hank Rausch"
wrote in
.com::

How can the current responses be
modified to make the response more relevant to the threat, when the
inevitable occurs again and a pilot gets lost?

Your premise for your proposed discussion presupposes that an ADIZ or
Prohibited Area are effective security measures. Until that is proven
true, talk of responses to incursions into them is moot, IMHO.

Old May 12th 05, 05:45 PM
Hank Rausch

Good possible topic for another thread, but in light of what happened
yesterday, do you realistically see the ADIZ going away any time soon?
There was a fellow on the tube last night talking about expanding to
100nm.

Old May 12th 05, 06:05 PM
Jay Honeck

I would like to start a thread on what I see as the most pertinent
take-away from yesterday's incursion: How can the current responses be
modified to make the response more relevant to the threat, when the
inevitable occurs again and a pilot gets lost? Assuming pilots won't
get lost in the future doesn't seem very realistic

You've already lost the argument by pre-supposing that pilots will continue
to be idiots.

CNN showed a red-green laser system they want to use to
signal pilots, but it's not clear how this would have addressed the
most recent incursion.

Anyone stupid enough to fly over Washington, D.C.'s most sensitive areas
would probably wonder what all the pretty lights were for...

No, the solution was EDUCATION of pilots, BY PILOTS. Peer pressure can be a
wonderfully effective thing, and we should be doing our best to either
educate or eliminate "pilots" such as these.

Unfortunately, I fear that the time for education may have passed us by, and
the Feds will be forced to assume that we are all morons.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 12th 05, 06:39 PM
Chris Colohan

"Jay Honeck" writes:
Anyone stupid enough to fly over Washington, D.C.'s most sensitive areas
would probably wonder what all the pretty lights were for...

No, the solution was EDUCATION of pilots, BY PILOTS. Peer pressure can be a
wonderfully effective thing, and we should be doing our best to either
educate or eliminate "pilots" such as these.

Another potential solution: charge pilots for the intercept. No
punishment, merely pass on the costs: bill stupid pilots for the cost
of the controller's time, blackhawk air & pilot time, and F16 air &
pilot time.

Perhaps the threat of receiving a $10,000 or more bill (not a fine,
merely a bill) will make folks more aware.

Chris
--
Chris Colohan Email: PGP: finger
Web:
Old May 12th 05, 07:16 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Hank Rausch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Good possible topic for another thread, but in light of what happened
yesterday, do you realistically see the ADIZ going away any time soon?
There was a fellow on the tube last night talking about expanding to
100nm.

I can tell you one thing for sure, and the equation doesn't require a bomb
to go off either.
You can take it to the bank that the government has considered the sheer
propaganda value to the terrorist movement of a single aircraft, GA or
otherwise, managing to slip through these restricted areas and crash as a
simple suicide into ANY valuable American target. The effect of this
happening would be like an adrenalin shot for the terrorist world.
The government absolutely can NOT allow this to happen and will most likely
take every conceivable precaution to prevent just such an occurrence from
taking place.
I'm afraid it's not going to be a very "happy time" for General Aviation as
these threat options are considered and acted upon.
Personally, I think what's out there now is just the tip of a very big
"government control"iceberg.
Dudley Henriques

Old May 12th 05, 07:22 PM
Andrew Gideon

Chris Colohan wrote:

Perhaps the threat of receiving a $10,000 or more bill (not a fine,
merely a bill) will make folks more aware.

Some pilots with more money than sense might do this deliberately to get a
chance to fly formation with F-16s.

Come to think of it, forget I wrote "than sense"; it sounds like a fun way
to spend an extra $10,000 one might have sitting around.

- Andrew

Old May 12th 05, 07:51 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 12 May 2005 18:16:37 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
dhenriques@noware .net wrote in
et::

Personally, I think what's out there now is just the tip of a very big
"government control"iceberg.

I think you're correct. The government is running scared of a
potential domestic insurrection as a result of population growth, and
taking this opportunity to put into place the (il)legal basis for
responding to any hint of it.

Old May 12th 05, 09:27 PM
Peter Duniho

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
[...]
Come to think of it, forget I wrote "than sense"; it sounds like a fun way
to spend an extra $10,000 one might have sitting around.

lol...

Why wait for the fine? Right now, you can get the formation flight at no
cost whatsoever!

Old May 13th 05, 01:14 AM
Blueskies

"Dudley Henriques" dhenriques@noware .net wrote in message nk.net...

[...]

No, if an aircraft managed to crash in to something, then the folks in gov'ment would spin it into some deranged
individual acting alone or similar; they would be absolutely sure to make it a non-terrorist event...