Alien training rule

Old July 12th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

Default Alien training rule

The AOPA "Guide to TSA's Alien Flight Training/Citizenship Validation
Rule" http://www.aopa.org/tsa_rule/ says that validation is required for
training for "recreational pilot, sport pilot, or private pilot
certificate; multiengine rating; or instrument training". If I've got an
PP-ASEL-IA, does going for my ASES (float rating) constitute going for
another private pilot certificate, or is it just an add-on to my existing
certificate?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Today is a good day. Not because anything wonderful is happening, so
Old July 12th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Paul Tomblin wrote:
The AOPA "Guide to TSA's Alien Flight Training/Citizenship Validation
Rule" http://www.aopa.org/tsa_rule/ says that validation is required for
training for "recreational pilot, sport pilot, or private pilot
certificate; multiengine rating; or instrument training". If I've got an
PP-ASEL-IA, does going for my ASES (float rating) constitute going for
another private pilot certificate, or is it just an add-on to my existing
certificate?

Are you an alien student? Do you have a TSA online account? For a U.S.
citizen its the same for any checkride, you need your passport
(sometimes B-certificates is accepted by the examiner) and ID.
If you are an alien student I believe you do not need TSA clearance.
However, if you go for your multi rating you'll need to go through the
processes.

-Robert, CFII (land and sea), TSA certified alien flight training
provider.

Old July 12th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Paul Tomblin wrote:
The AOPA "Guide to TSA's Alien Flight Training/Citizenship Validation
Rule" http://www.aopa.org/tsa_rule/ says that validation is required for
training for "recreational pilot, sport pilot, or private pilot
certificate; multiengine rating; or instrument training". If I've got an
PP-ASEL-IA, does going for my ASES (float rating) constitute going for
another private pilot certificate, or is it just an add-on to my existing
certificate?

My FSDO says yes, it's another rating. Then again, they might not know
what they're talking about.
Old July 13th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Robert M. Gary" said:
Paul Tomblin wrote:
certificate; multiengine rating; or instrument training". If I've got an
PP-ASEL-IA, does going for my ASES (float rating) constitute going for
another private pilot certificate, or is it just an add-on to my existing
certificate?

Are you an alien student? Do you have a TSA online account? For a U.S.

Well, I'm a resident alien. And I got my pilot certificate and instrument
rating long before these stupid rules came along, so I don't have a TSA
online account.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
If God had intended man to fly he would have given him enough money for a
Old July 13th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BTIZ

Paul... I believe the answer is... you are adding to what you do not already
have.. so it would require the TSA registration... if you are getting
"currency" training or qualification as in a flight review, or a check out
at a new FBO to rent an ASEL.. then you do not need to do the TSA dance.
BT

Old July 13th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

BTIZ wrote:
Paul... I believe the answer is... you are adding to what you do not already
have.. so it would require the TSA registration... if you are getting
"currency" training or qualification as in a flight review, or a check out
at a new FBO to rent an ASEL.. then you do not need to do the TSA dance.
BT

Ugh, tell that to one flight school I tried to get checked out at. They
argued and argued that I needed to prove citizenship in order to get a
checkout from them. I finally decided that the $15 savings wasn't worth
it, and walked out.
Old July 13th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tuite

Couple years ago, a buddy of mine, a Canadian landed immigrant had to
jump through the hoops. He had a US airline transport rating, but in
helicopters and a canadian fixed wing rating. He wanted to buy into
the club and fly its pipers.

He had to go through the TSA stuff AND take post-solo PPL training.
What was particularly wacky was that he had to do all the solo hours
as well. Why? Because while he had hundreds of fixed-wing hours in
his Canadian logbooks, he'd generally flown with friends, and he'd
always noted their names in the remarks column. FSDO said those hours
didn't count because he wasn't SOLO.

Also, it was hard fo find a freelance instructor who wanted the grief
of making sure he'd crossed his Ts and dotted his Is.

Makes buying stamps at an Italian Post Office seem like childs' play.

Don
Old July 13th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Don Tuite wrote:
Couple years ago, a buddy of mine, a Canadian landed immigrant had to
jump through the hoops. He had a US airline transport rating, but in
helicopters and a canadian fixed wing rating. He wanted to buy into
the club and fly its pipers.

He had to go through the TSA stuff AND take post-solo PPL training.
What was particularly wacky was that he had to do all the solo hours
as well. Why? Because while he had hundreds of fixed-wing hours in
his Canadian logbooks, he'd generally flown with friends, and he'd
always noted their names in the remarks column. FSDO said those hours
didn't count because he wasn't SOLO.

That doesn't make my sense, if he had an FAA ATP. What kind of club
doesn't accept an ATP? Mine did.
Old July 13th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Emily wrote:
BTIZ wrote:
Paul... I believe the answer is... you are adding to what you do not already
have.. so it would require the TSA registration... if you are getting
"currency" training or qualification as in a flight review, or a check out
at a new FBO to rent an ASEL.. then you do not need to do the TSA dance.
BT

Ugh, tell that to one flight school I tried to get checked out at. They
argued and argued that I needed to prove citizenship in order to get a
checkout from them. I finally decided that the $15 savings wasn't worth
it, and walked out.

Proving citizenship and having to get TSA approval are two very, very
different things.

-Robert

Old July 13th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Emily wrote:
BTIZ wrote:
Paul... I believe the answer is... you are adding to what you do not already
have.. so it would require the TSA registration... if you are getting
"currency" training or qualification as in a flight review, or a check out
at a new FBO to rent an ASEL.. then you do not need to do the TSA dance.
BT

Ugh, tell that to one flight school I tried to get checked out at. They
argued and argued that I needed to prove citizenship in order to get a
checkout from them. I finally decided that the $15 savings wasn't worth
it, and walked out.

Proving citizenship and having to get TSA approval are two very, very
different things.

-Robert

You don't have to prove citizenship unless you're getting a new rating.