FS X

Old August 11th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
nathantw

Default FS X

Just played the demo a little and so far I'm not impressed. I've downloaded
quite a bit of things for FS9 so I guess I'm jaded. So far FS X doesn't do
it for me. Maybe the real version will be better?

Old August 11th 06, 08:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Kevin Reilly

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 nathantw wrote:

Just played the demo a little and so far I'm not impressed. I've downloaded
quite a bit of things for FS9 so I guess I'm jaded. So far FS X doesn't do
it for me. Maybe the real version will be better?

It's hard for me to judge from that demo. My PC is clearly not fully up
to the task (time for that two-yearly upgrade) so it stuttered quite
badly and pop-up was rife, but what I saw was promising. Brightly lit
Caribbean scenarios aren't really my thing -- give me snowy mountains or
a rain-soaked night-time cityscape any day -- but the water and
reflection effects looked really good even on my archaic 9700Pro. I bet
it looks gorgeous on the latest hardware.

The problem with FS is that by the time each new version arrives, the
hardcore simmers have upgraded and tweaked and personalised the previous
version with so many third-party modifications that it many ways the new
version can feel like a step backwards even with all the latest
technical improvements. Once FSX has been out for a few months and the
community has had a chance to adapt the best third-party programs to its
strengths, I'm sure it'll seem much more impressive.

--
Kev
"Escalators would help on steep uphill sections."