WWW II Plane

Old July 15th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John Carrier

Default Climbing on board a fighter

"Clark" wrote in message
"John Carrier" wrote in
:

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 18:33:46 -0700, "Mike Kanze"
wrote:

That sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

That's nothing compared to the procedure that Vigie (RA-5C) crews had
to follow at non-Vigie ladder equipped bases:

1. Butt on one of the horizontal stabilizers.
2. Swing legs onto horizontal stabilizer.
3. Stand up carefully, to maintain balance. (Best not attempted when
still a bit W0X0F from the night before).
4. Work your way forward along the turtleback, pilot first.
5. Pilot works way around rear cockpit, enters forward cockpit, closes
canopy.
6. RAN enters rear cockpit, etc.

I'm reciting this from having observed a Vigie crew do this at the East
Overshoe AFB transient line while I was in Base Ops munching on a
one-handed culinary delight and refiguring our DD-175. Damndest thing I
saw that day.

Vigie folks, please step in and correct this if I remembered it wrong.

As an operator of a similarly sized single-seat, single-engine
aircraft, it reminds me of the drag chute installation process for the
F-105.

We'd carry an extra drag chute on cross-country flights stuffed into
the gun drum bay. If the base didn't have a replacement chute for us
or maintenance people qualified to repack, the aircrew was responsible
for installing the spare prior to flight.

The chute compartment was at the rear base of the vertical fin, atop
the engine tail cone. You had to muscle the chute and yourself onto
the slab, then climb up onto the tail cone, being careful not to step
on the speed-brake petals. Then stuff the chute in and close the
door--this was accomplished by climbing onto the door and jumping up
and down on it until it latched. To aid in this process there was a
hand hold slot in the rudder to stick your fingers into for balance.

Fun increased geometrically if it was rainy, snowy or cold.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"

F-4 was similar w/o the spare chute. A decidedly unfun task to stuff
the chute soooo ...
We tried to avoid chute-braked landings. Touchdown on the numbers at
significantly slower than optimum AOA and good ROD. Worked pretty good
for normal days. Then there was this time at Buckley, 5K altitude but
on a 14K long runway. No problem with good technique, eh? Well, a bit
of a tailwind changed that. Used 13,990' of that runway. No hot
brakes!?!

R / John

Maybe, just maybe the real problem was that Buckley only has an 11,000 ft
runway when you were expecting 14? Hey, what's 3K amongst friends?

Ahhhh!!! I suspect my problem is poor memory now vice expecting more
concrete then. That was a long time ago and I often display symptoms of
onset Alzheimers. In any case, I used just about all the runway had to
give.

R / John

Old July 17th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
R. Scott

Fun increased geometrically if it was rainy, snowy or cold.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com

As a CrewChief/EWOP in EA-3Bs I used to complain about packing and
you two gents adventures I feel better.

Rick
FMR USN A/C
Old July 18th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
J.McEachen

There is the old VAH-5 "Skywarrior" story of the 3/crewman who forgot to
bring a spare drag chute on an RON (c. 1961.) They landed at their
destination in the rain so he took the chute, dried it out as best he
could, and repacked it before leaving the next day. Needless to say, on
landing back at NAS Sanford, FL, the next day, when the pilot pulled the
switch for the drag chute it fell out of its rear compartment and
bounced all the way down runway 9 (10,000' available for landing.) This
was written up on a naval aviation board years ago and I think is in one
of the A3D/A-3 monographs. I do remember that the tower got a good laugh
seeing the rather large package bouncing down the runway on the long
tether. Temps at 40k were not unknown to us, we used to make "cross
country navigational" hops to NAS Brunswick, ME, radio our order in to
ops, then a local lobster truck would bring the lobster packs to the
flight line. We'd load them on the bomb bay rack, climb to 40k or so,
they'd be blast frozen on arrival back at Sanford.
To keep on the subject, the A-3 was probably the only jet in which the
crew used the same 'ladder' to exit the a/c in an emergency as to enter it!
Joel McEachen VAH-5

Old July 19th 07, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Dave[_6_]

"J.McEachen" wrote in
et:

R. Scott wrote:
Fun increased geometrically if it was rainy, snowy or cold.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)

As a CrewChief/EWOP in EA-3Bs I used to complain about packing and
you two gents adventures I feel better.

Rick
FMR USN A/C

I used to work at OMD in B'wick ('70 - '73), and helped many an aircrew
load lobsters, into everything from a C-118 with no seats, to an A-37
Tweet.

Dave in San Diego
Old July 19th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Ed Rasimus[_1_]

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 05:38:57 GMT, Dave wrote:

I used to work at OMD in B'wick ('70 - '73), and helped many an aircrew
load lobsters, into everything from a C-118 with no seats, to an A-37
Tweet.

Dave in San Diego

While I was serving in purgatory (Willie Air Patch flogging a T-37
with UPT students--a reward for my F-105 tour), we often would take a
Tweet on a Friday afternoon out-and-back to Navy North Island.

Hop on the ferry (AKA "nickel-snatcher") because this was before the
Coronado Bridge and hit the fish market. Pack up some fresh seafood in
a styrofoam box with dry ice and RTB to Willie in time for a nice
evening fish-fry and drink-a-thon.

Junior guy got to ride in the right seat with the box on his lap.

Old July 19th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Mike Kanze

Default Replenishment Runs [was: Climbing on board a fighter]

"Coors runs" to NAS Meridian, MS from more blessed points west were comme il faut during the late 1960s - early 1970s before Coors achieved national distribution. Pretty standard drill - cross-county a T-2 from NMM to NAS Dallas, Buckley ANGB, or any other Coors-infested part of the west, buy your stock (no more than ~3 cases - the limit in the T-2 nose void), and wing your way back to The Heart Of The New South.

Normal return was ~0300 Monday. You always gave a strato-chilled six-pack to the duty line crew (for later, off-duty consumption).

Many folks will never appreciate how welcome this beverage was in a land of "county-option" liquor consumption and the likes of the much-despised Pearl beer brand.

--
Mike Kanze

Republican Sen. John McCain berated fellow lawmakers for "spending money like a drunken sailor." But one of his constituents took offense at this comparison, saying, "As a former drunken sailor, I take offense at being compared to Congress!"

Old July 20th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Dave[_6_]

Ed Rasimus wrote in
:

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 05:38:57 GMT, Dave wrote:

I used to work at OMD in B'wick ('70 - '73), and helped many an aircrew
load lobsters, into everything from a C-118 with no seats, to an A-37
Tweet.

Dave in San Diego

While I was serving in purgatory (Willie Air Patch flogging a T-37
with UPT students--a reward for my F-105 tour), we often would take a
Tweet on a Friday afternoon out-and-back to Navy North Island.

Hop on the ferry (AKA "nickel-snatcher") because this was before the
Coronado Bridge and hit the fish market. Pack up some fresh seafood in
a styrofoam box with dry ice and RTB to Willie in time for a nice
evening fish-fry and drink-a-thon.

Junior guy got to ride in the right seat with the box on his lap.

Oh, this was a single pilot. We put lobsters in the gun tub, individually
bagged, to let them fit better, and then we filled a nylon laundry bag as
full as we could, and strapped it into the right seat so as not to
interfere with flight controls, and he was off into the wild blue.

BTW, what/where's Willie Air Patch? That's a new one on me.

Dave in San Diego
Old July 20th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Mike Kanze wrote:
"Coors runs" to NAS Meridian, MS from more blessed points west were comme il faut during the late 1960s - early 1970s before Coors achieved national distribution. Pretty standard drill - cross-county a T-2 from NMM to NAS Dallas, Buckley ANGB, or any other Coors-infested part of the west, buy your stock (no more than ~3 cases - the limit in the T-2 nose void), and wing your way back to The Heart Of The New South.

Normal return was ~0300 Monday. You always gave a strato-chilled six-pack to the duty line crew (for later, off-duty consumption).

Many folks will never appreciate how welcome this beverage was in a land of "county-option" liquor consumption and the likes of the much-despised Pearl beer brand.

Dave MacCallister, CO of the old 142nd ftr sqd Delaware ANG was from the
MacCallister Catering family in Springfield Pa. They made what was
considered probably the best Snapper Soup in the entire world. Dave used
to fill the ammo cans of his F86H "Cindy Lind" with the soup and deliver
it all over the United States.
MAN, that was GOOD soup!!!!
:-)
Dudley Henriques
Old July 20th 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Tex Houston

"Dave" wrote in message
BTW, what/where's Willie Air Patch? That's a new one on me.

Dave in San Diego.

Williams Air Force Base now operating as civil Williams Gateway Airport in a
Phoenix suburb.

Tex

Old July 20th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Ed Rasimus[_1_]

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 23:48:07 GMT, Dave wrote:

BTW, what/where's Willie Air Patch? That's a new one on me.

Dave in San Diego

As Tex noted, Willie was Williams AFB. Technically listed as Chandler
AZ, but actually about 15 miles straight East of Chandler. Did host
CHD TACAN.

Originally a fighter base in WW II and Korea with F-86s. Later became
a Training Command base for Undergraduate Pilot Training. First base
to use the T-38. Also hosted a tenant TAC squadron flying the F-5 for
OT&E and Foreign Military Sales training.

Unceremoniously shut down during a BRAC exercise in the late
'80s--early '90s.