Attorney honored for heroism during the Vietnam War

Old August 14th 03, 02:50 AM
Otis Willie

Default Attorney honored for heroism during the Vietnam War

Attorney honored for heroism during the Vietnam War

(EXCERPT) Florida litigator Thomas K. Equels, an Army aviator who was
honored seven times for heroism during the Vietnam War, has been
inducted into the Distinguished Flying Cross Society, an elite society
comprised exclusively of war heroes who received the highest honor for
military flying.

During the course of his service in Vietnam, Equels, managing director
of the law firm Holtzman Equels, was awarded two Distinguished Flying
Crosses, the Purple Heart, the Bronze Star, 15 air medals and the
Vietnam Cross of Gallantry.

Equels will be inducted into the Distinguished Flying Cross Society
during an annual ceremony in San Diego this fall. According to Stanley
B. Grey, president of the southeast Florida chapter, the military has
only awarded a select few with the cross since its introduction in
1926.

Equels' first Distinguished Flying Cross was awarded for a successful
rescue mission during the fir...

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully reproducing
copyrighted material. In abidance with our laws this report
cannot be provided in its entirety. However, you can read it
in full today, 13 Aug 2003, at the following URL. (COMBINE
the following lines into your web browser.) The
subject/content of this report is not necessarily the
viewpoint of the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

http://orlando.bizjournals.com/orlan...1/daily28.html

---------------------------
Otis Willie
Associate Librarian
The American War Library
http://www.americanwarlibrary.com
Old August 14th 03, 03:17 PM
Ed Rasimus

Otis Willie wrote:

Attorney honored for heroism during the Vietnam War

(EXCERPT) Florida litigator Thomas K. Equels, an Army aviator who was
honored seven times for heroism during the Vietnam War, has been
inducted into the Distinguished Flying Cross Society, an elite society
comprised exclusively of war heroes who received the highest honor for
military flying.

Without demeaning the accomplishments of Mr. Equels, it should be
noted that the DFC is number four in the ranking of decorations for
heroism that can be awarded for flying--and that it is an award of the
USA.

For Americans, the sequence is Medal of Honor, Service Cross (Air
Force Cross/Navy Cross/Distinguished Service Cross), Silver Star, and
then the DFC.

Makes one wonder how a self-respecting Army aviator sank so low as to
become a lawyer. ;-)

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (ret)
***"When Thunder Rolled:
*** An F-105 Pilot Over N. Vietnam"
*** from Smithsonian Books
ISBN: 1588341038
Old August 14th 03, 04:07 PM
Les Matheson

It also should be noted that the DFCS is open to anyone who has earned a DFC
and PAYS THE DUES. I could join, but haven't. I wouldn't consider it a
singular recognition, if I did join. More like joining the American Legion
or the VFW.

--
Les
F-4C(WW),D,E,G(WW)/AC-130A/MC-130E EWO (ret)

Old August 14th 03, 05:06 PM
Ed Rasimus

Ed Rasimus wrote:

For Americans, the sequence is Medal of Honor, Service Cross (Air
Force Cross/Navy Cross/Distinguished Service Cross), Silver Star, and
then the DFC.

Is there a database or something on the web of USAF fighter pilots who
earned each of those medals? I'd be interested in learning more about
what the chest full of ribbons on my dad's uniform all meant.

Ribbons are worn in order of precedence, from top down and from
wearer's right to left in each row--so whatever is on top of your
dad's array is the highest decoration received.

For USAF types, here's a link:
http://www.af.mil/news/airman/0101/medals.html

There is a database online for MOH winners, listing lots of details
and citations for all the awards. Pretty impressive reading:
http://www.cmohs.org/

There's a list of AF Cross recipients at
http://www.legionofvalor.com/query_l...ch=Air%20Force
but I will certify that it is incomplete. Two AFC recipients that I
know personally are not listed: Karl Richter (F-105) and Richard Nagel
(C-123). There are probably others.

There's a list of AFC recipients from the Vietnam War in one of the
appendices of "Stolen Valor"--an excellent book that uncovers a lot of
the "wannabes" impersonating as something they aren't.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (ret)
***"When Thunder Rolled:
*** An F-105 Pilot Over N. Vietnam"
*** from Smithsonian Books
ISBN: 1588341038
Old August 14th 03, 07:41 PM

Ed Rasimus wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I've tried searching the links you provided above and
found nothing, so maybe you could explain what "Oak Leaf Cluster"
and "first thru tenth to the Oak Leaf Cluster" means in the excerpt
below?

"The award was won in an Oct. 5, 1966, rescue operation in which
Captain Marron was responsible for the rescue of two McDonnell
F-4C Phantom crew members shot down over North Vietnam.
Next, Captain Marron recieved the first Oak Leaf Cluster to the
DFC for heroism in connection with a Dec. 5, 1966, action. The
citation read: On that date while engaged in a search and rescue
mission for a downed RF-101 pilot, Captain Marron attacked and
destroyed a heavy automatic weapons position that was firing at
close range on his leader. Without hesitation and at great personal
risk, Captain Marron rolled in on the deadly fire in a successful
effort to both draw fire to himself and ultimately to completely
destroy the hostile gun position. His courage and timely
decision undeoubtedly saved the life of his leader. Finally, Captain
Marron was awarded the first through tenth Oak Leaf Cluster to the
Air Medal."

-Mike Marron
Old August 14th 03, 07:54 PM

"Les Matheson" wrote:

Well, first off more than fighter pilots earned the medal. I was an EWO.

Pardon me, Sir. I realize that and was primarily asking about my Dad
(who was a fighter pilot).

Secondly, I think that is the purpose of the DFCS, to track the award of the
medal, because there probably isn't any complete database.

Interesting. One would think there would be a complete database, no?

-Mike Marron
Old August 14th 03, 11:59 PM

Ed Rasimus wrote:
wrote:

Thanks. I've tried searching the links you provided above and
found nothing, so maybe you could explain what "Oak Leaf Cluster"
and "first thru tenth to the Oak Leaf Cluster" means in the excerpt
below?

An Oak Leaf Cluster is a second (or more) award of the same
decoration. Rather than wear multiples of the ribbon, you display the
basic (original) ribbon with a bronze OLC. Multiple OLC's are worn
with multiples of five being a single silver OLC, depicting five
bronze or single OLCs.

"The award was won in an Oct. 5, 1966, rescue operation in which
Captain Marron was responsible for the rescue of two McDonnell
F-4C Phantom crew members shot down over North Vietnam.

Small world, isn't it. That rescue is described in Chapter 16 of my
book, "Pilots Flying Fighters". The F-4C was Tempest 3 and the crew
were Capt. W. R. Andrews and 1st Lt. E. W. Garland. They were shot
down in Route Pack V, between the Black and Red Rivers. Andrews was
KIA and Garland was recovered. The Jolly Green pilot received the Air
Force Cross for the action. I was overhead, capping in a 105.

Next, Captain Marron recieved the first Oak Leaf Cluster to the
DFC for heroism in connection with a Dec. 5, 1966, action. The
citation read: On that date while engaged in a search and rescue
mission for a downed RF-101 pilot, Captain Marron attacked and
destroyed a heavy automatic weapons position that was firing at
close range on his leader. Without hesitation and at great personal
risk, Captain Marron rolled in on the deadly fire in a successful
effort to both draw fire to himself and ultimately to completely
destroy the hostile gun position. His courage and timely
decision undeoubtedly saved the life of his leader. Finally, Captain
Marron was awarded the first through tenth Oak Leaf Cluster to the
Air Medal."

The first OLC to his DFC was the second award to him of the
Distinguished Flying Cross. The Air Medal was usually awarded for
"sustained operations" meaning mission count. North Vietnam missions
got an air medal for every ten. First through tenth OLC means he would
wear two silver OLC's on his basic Air Medal ribbon.

Pearls like this response of yours makes it all worthwhile and is why
I've remained on this NG (mostly lurking) for all these years. I am
going to re-read (no, strike that...I'm going to STUDY) Chapter 16 in
your book tonight.

Thank you, Major Rasimus.

-Mike Marron