Why We Lost The Vietnam War

Old February 8th 04, 09:49 PM
Spiv

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

In 1940 you are probably correct. However food production was far

higher
in
subsequent years.

But never reached anything approaching self sufficiency.

Once again sigh, the U boats were suppressed so no need to concentrate on
high yields.

Old February 8th 04, 09:55 PM
Brett

"Spiv" wrote:
"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"Spiv" wrote in message

It didn't need to be in 1945, as it imported food from its North

American
colony, Canada,

Canada was an independent nation
by then which declared war independently
on Germany.

Not so.

Yes they did, and one Commonwealth of Nations country even chose to not to
declare war on Germany in 1939.

Old February 8th 04, 10:03 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Spiv" wrote in message

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"Spiv" wrote in message

1951 I think you will find all rationing was abandoned.

From
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/books/bookfaq12.htm

Clothes were de-rationed in March 1949; bread in July 1948 (this was

only
rationed on the 21 July 1946); jam in December 1948; petrol in May 1950;

tea
in October 1952; sweets in February 1953; eggs in March 1953; cream in

April
1953; sugar in September 1953; butter, cheese, margarine and cooking

fats
in
May 1954; and finally meat in June 1954.

Most rationing, about 90% plus was gone by 1951.

Your unwillingness to admit an error is to your discredit

Keith

Old February 8th 04, 10:10 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Spiv" wrote in message

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

They did know how and went near to doing it, but the battle of the
Atlantic was won, so cheap and plentiful grain could be brought from
its colony, Canada, and the USA.

Canada was a British colony during WWII?

Yes. Independence in 1948, for most of Canada and Newfoundland in 1959.
The Canadian constitution was given back in 1982.

From
http://www.solon.org/Constitutions/C...stminster.html

An Act to give effect to certain resolutions passed by Imperial Conferences
held in the years 1926 and 1930.
[11th December, 1931]

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ENACTED by the King's Most Excellent Majesty, by and
with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and
Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the
same, as follows:--

1. In this Act the expression "Dominion" means any of the following
Dominions, that is to say, the Dominion of Canada, the Commonwealth of
Australia, the Dominion of New Zealand, the Union of South Africa, the Irish
Free State and Newfoundland.

2. (1) The Colonial Laws Validity Act, 1865, shall not apply to any law made
after the commencement of this Act by the Parliament of a Dominion.
(2) No law and no provision of any law made after the commencement of this
Act by the Parliament of a Dominion shall be void or inoperative on the
ground that it is repugnant to the law of England, or to the provisions of
any existing or future Act of Parliament of the United Kingdom, or to any
order, rule, or regulation made under any such Act, and the powers of the
Parliament of a Dominion shall include the power to repeal or amend any such
Act, order, rule or regulation in so far as the same is part of the law of
the Dominion.

3. It is hereby declared and enacted that the Parliament of a Dominion has
full power to make laws having extra-territorial operation.

4. No Act of Parliament of the United Kingdom passed after the commencement
of this Act shall extend or be deemed to extend, to a Dominion as part of
the law of that Dominion, unless it is expressly declared in that Act that
that Dominion has requested, and consented to, the enactment thereof.

etc

11. Notwithstanding anything in the Interpretation Act, 1889, the expression
"Colony" shall not, in any Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom
passed after the commencement of this Act, include a Dominion or any
Province or State forming part of a Dominion.

Canada , Australia and New Zealand became self ruling nations in 1931
and most definitely ceased to be colonies on that date.

Old February 8th 04, 10:21 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Spiv" wrote in message

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"Spiv" wrote in message

Nonsense. Britain invented globalisation in the 1700s.

Dont be silly,

They did.

See "Empire" by Niall Ferguson.

I have,

Did you read it?

Indeed and I note you snipped and avoided answering
the obvious prior example of globalisation.

It can feed itself. Much of the UK is national park. That can be

used
if
needed for crop growing.

You thrice dammed idiot.
National Parks in the UK ARE open for
farming,

Not all of it birdbrain.

Name ONE National Park in the UK where
agriculture is banned, take your time.

It didn't need to be in 1945, as it imported food from its North

American
colony, Canada,

Canada was an independent nation
by then which declared war independently
on Germany.

Not so. Independence in 1948, 1959

Statute of Westminster 1931
11. Notwithstanding anything in the Interpretation Act, 1889, the expression
"Colony" shall not, in any Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom
passed after the commencement of this Act, include a Dominion or any
Province or State forming part of a Dominion.

by then with the U boat problem suppressed.

Which was just as well else we would have starved

No. Not staved at all. Tight, but not starved.

Winston Spencer Churchill disagrees

"If Germany had prevented merchant ships from carrying food, raw materials,
troops and their equipment from North America to Britain, the outcome of
World War Two could have been radically different. Britain might have been
starved into submission"

Keitth

Old February 8th 04, 10:22 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Brett" wrote in message

Canada was an independent nation
by then which declared war independently
on Germany.

Not so.

Yes they did, and one Commonwealth of Nations country even chose to not to
declare war on Germany in 1939.

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/departm...tDocumentId=18

Whereas by and with the advice of Our Privy Council for Canada We have
signified Our Approval for the issue of a Proclamation in the Canada Gazette
declaring that a State of War with the German Reich exists and has existed
in Our Dominion of Canada as and from the tenth day of September, 1939

At our Government House, in Our City of Ottawa, this tenth day of September,
in the year of Our Lord one thousand nine hundred and thirty-nine and in the
Third year of Our Reign.

By Command,

W. L. Mackenzie King,
Prime Minister of Canada.

Keith

Old February 8th 04, 10:25 PM
Brett

"Keith Willshaw" wrote:
"Brett" wrote in message

[...]

But will he know which one didn't declare war?

Old February 8th 04, 10:57 PM
D. Patterson

"Spiv" wrote in message

"D. Patterson" wrote in message

"Spiv" wrote in message

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Spiv" wrote in message

More arms were needed than what we could make. Duh!

Yes, the UK could not arm or feed itself during WWII.

It could feed itself, but it took until 1943 until UK industry

outperformed
Germany. Today, with modern farming techniques, the UK can easily

feed
itself, and others. At one point it produced more food than Canada,

and
more than Australia. We pay farmers not to produce now.

Britain produced only 30% of its food going into the war. It never

remotely
approached 100% and badly damaged its soil fertility for decades to come

in
the efforts to increase the food production.

Nonsense. Britain invented globalisation in the 1700s.

No, it did not. It used armed forces to keep globalization from occurring by
making it unlawful to construct manufacturies or sell raw materials to
anyone but Britain.

The UK has
consistently imported produce and products that are cheaper than the home
market.

Yes, by prohibiting the manufacturies in its captive colonies.

When it comes down to it, it can feed itself. In 1939 it was not
ready,still importing vast qualitioes of food from the empire and others.

Yes, by importing 70% of its food in 1939 and 49% of its food in 1945.
Britain was incapable of feeding itself in the Second World War.

By
1945 internal food production was way ahead of 1939.

Food production increased by 70% from 30% self-sufficiency in 1939 to about
51% self-sufficiency in 1945. Britain remained incapable of feeding itself
in the second World War.

Old February 8th 04, 11:03 PM
D. Patterson

"Spiv" wrote in message

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Spiv" wrote in message

Nonsense. Britain invented globalisation in the 1700s. The UK has
consistently imported produce and products that are cheaper than the
home market. When it comes down to it, it can feed itself. In 1939
it was not ready,still importing vast qualitioes of food from the

empire
and others. By 1945 internal food production was way ahead of 1939.

In other words, the UK could not arm or feed itself during WWII.

You must learn to focus and at least attempt to get a point. The UK by

1945
could feed itself if it wanted too.

Britain wanted to feed itself in 1939, 1945, 1949, 1955 and failed to do so
even in 1972, when Britain was stil only 70% self-sufficient in food
production.

Once the battle of the Atlantic was won
importing huge quantities of food from the USA and Canada was no longer a
problem.

which still meant that Britian was not self-sufficient in food production.

Later in the war the UK could arm itself with no problems, but in
the early part of the war, when Britain was fighting on many fronts by
herself, she could not arm herself against a country that had begun arming
itself for 10 years before the war, even with British industry running

flat
out.

The U.K was never self-sufficient in the ability to arm itself at any time
in the Second World War or after the Second World War. Britian also started
arming itself for war ten years before the war. nonetheless, Britian was
incapable of becoming self-sufficient in arming itself for war.

Old February 8th 04, 11:16 PM
D. Patterson

"Spiv" wrote in message

You must learn to focus and at least attempt to get a point.

You must learn that your point is not valid.

The UK by 1945 could feed itself if it wanted too.

The war ended in 1945.

That is amazing.

For you, it should be expected LOL.

Once the battle of the Atlantic was won
importing huge quantities of food from the USA and Canada was
no longer a problem.

But still a necessity as the UK could not arm or feed itself during the

war.

No, yet again you fail. When importing large qualities of grain, etc from
north America, It meant the UK could concentrate on war production.

Yes, importing 49% to 70% of the food consumed by Britain was certainly
going to help British war production by keeping the failure of British food
production from starving the British workers and their families to death.

Simple
when you know how.

Yes, simple minded lies from a simple minded Spiv.