Air Canada L-1011

Old December 20th 08, 02:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_3_] Canuck[_3_] is offline
Banned

Default Air Canada L-1011

Another great aircraft that was fantastic to fly on. Too bad most of them
aren't in service any longer. Air Canada retired the type long ago.

Nick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L1011.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	31314
Old December 20th 08, 02:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Laurie & Jacques

In my own opinion, one of the best aircaraft ever made, along with the C130.
(both models)

Jacques

-----------------
-----------------
Old December 20th 08, 04:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_3_] Canuck[_3_] is offline
Banned

"Laurie & Jacques" wrote in message
In my own opinion, one of the best aircaraft ever made, along with the
C130. (both models)

Jacques

I really loved it. My most memorable flight on an Air Canada L-1011 was
coming back from London (Heathrow) to Winnipeg. In those days, if you asked
nicely, they would let you go up and visit the cockpit and have a look
around. The crew were very nice to me and let me sit in the jump seat
through the approach and landing into Winnipeg. The conditions were quite
rough. Strong winds and lots of snow...as near to a blizzard as can be. It
was fantastic to see the runway lights just appear out of the gloom. It was
the strangest trip. I left Zagreb in a blizzard, arrived in London where it
was relatively warm and quite humid, and then arrived in a blizzard again.
It was fantastic to be back in Canada. I wish I'd gotten some pictures of
the magnificent sky over Greenland. It was quite amazing. Although I'd been
back and forth over Greenland several times, I'd never seen anything quite
like this. It was twilight and bitterly cold and lots of ice crystals in the
clouds below. The Sun's rays produced a spectacular prismatic effect in the
clouds. Absolutely unforgettable and I wish I had some way to film it. The
very cheap camera I had and the film I had in it just did not do it justice.

Lockheed makes great aircraft. I love everything they have ever made. Some
of my other favourites are the F-104, the SR-71, the U-2 and of course the
new F-22. I have yet to see a F-22 in person but look forward to it. The
video that has made its way around the Internet is quite spectacular. It is
an amazing aircraft and I wish Canada had bought it instead of the F-35. I
guess it came down to money.

Nick

Old December 20th 08, 07:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Nick Hunt

Agreed! I've always liked the Tristar, probably because it was the first
aircraft I'd ever flown on. I went from Gatwick to Palma, Majorca in 1982 on
a L-1011 which was operated by British Airtours. Being only 7 years old at
the time (and fascinated) they let me into the cockpit. Marvellous!!!!

Old December 21st 08, 12:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Laurie & Jacques

I actually never have flown on the 10-11. Here are some reasons why I liked
it.

I worked for Air Canada out of Dorval (Now Pierre Elliot Trudeau
International Airport) and Mirabel International; as ground crew, baggage
"hustler", etc

The concept of that aircraft, in my view, was "quick turnaround". What I
mean is this. Everything was containerized: baggage, freight, food, etc.
We had at least three crews of 4 doing the loading/unloading. Two fuel
tenders, one lavatory (sewage) truck and one fresh water truck. The
turnaround time for us was at least 45 minutes. Fuel and all included.

At midships, and in just in front of the wing root, you had a full size
service door for the galley access where the food service truck would line
itself and open the door and deliver/remove all the food carts/ovens. In
other words, one service stop instead of using two to three doors to do the
same job for, let's say a 747. You see, the galley was located under the
main passenger floor at about the mid section of the aircraft. It had two
service elevators in order to send and receive the containers. Utterly
fascinating! Oh, BTW, you still had a "bulk cargo" area aft of the rear
main cargo door for loose mail bags, oversize cargo, baggage, etc. It
really was a delight to work with this aircraft.

Just aft of the galley, you had the electronics bay in which you had to go
through an access door through the galley, if you had to service any "black
box" that might have been deficient (unlike the 747 which was forward of the
front cargo compartment and under the first class floor).

I also had an opportunity to work on the C5, DC 3, DC 10, HS 747, Boeing
747, 737, 707 and a host of others. The 10-11 will remain by far the most
well built and most gorgeous (lack of a better term), and cleanest designed
aircraft that I have eve seen. And remember this: only one ever crashed.
That was in Florida, I believe in the 70s. As compared to the DC-10s. They
had a variety of problems for "pranging".

I am not sure who made the engines, but I think, and correct me if I am
wrong, were Rolls Royce. At least for Air Canada, at any rate. Quality
stuff, in my mind.

Jacques

-----------------
-----------------
Old December 21st 08, 12:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Laurie & Jacques

You are right! $$ rules! Canada, I believe has only two to three
operational squadrons of CF-18s. Another for Training new pilots. the rest
are spar parts, or if you wish, spares. Just the same, they will be buying
new planes. They have to. No way getting around it.

Jacques

Old December 21st 08, 04:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew Chaplin

"Canuck" wrote in message

[...]

Don't bet on it. They are likely counting on keeping CF-188s flying until the
Canadian version of the F-35 is available. I don't think they have to buy
anything but spares, just as they did with the Starfighter.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Old December 21st 08, 04:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_3_] Canuck[_3_] is offline
Banned

"Laurie & Jacques" wrote in message
You are right! $$ rules! Canada, I believe has only two to three
operational squadrons of CF-18s. Another for Training new pilots. the
rest are spar parts, or if you wish, spares. Just the same, they will be
buying new planes. They have to. No way getting around it.

Jacques

Isn't that stupid? We mothball our best aircraft and cut flying time and
training time. I hope they don't do the same thing with the F-35 once it
gets here.

Nick

Old December 21st 08, 01:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew Chaplin

"Nick Hunt" wrote in message
"Laurie & Jacques" wrote in message

snip
I am not sure who made the engines, but I think, and correct me if I am
wrong, were Rolls Royce. At least for Air Canada, at any rate. Quality
stuff, in my mind.

Yep, Rolls-Royce RB211's

IIRC, development of those engines was what brought RR to bankruptcy in the
'70s.

Canada One Maple1 Aviation Photos 2 August 22nd 07 04:10 PM
F4U Sun n Fun 070417 1011.JPG [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 April 21st 07 03:20 PM
GPS Use In Canada rps Instrument Flight Rules 1 March 29th 06 08:17 PM
Canada WX-BRIEF? Robert M. Gary Piloting 7 June 17th 04 07:47 AM
John Lear - a L-1011 Captain was on Art Bell last night Americas Patriot Piloting 25 November 26th 03 02:09 PM