Practical Wave Flying - Revised Edition

Old September 30th 15, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Practical Wave Flying - Revised Edition

I'm reading 'Practical Wave Flying - Revised Edition' by Mark Palmer Copyright 1989 That's 26 years old.

Is there anything considered out-of-date or outright wrong in this book? Are there new areas of relevant knowledge that are not touched upon by this book?

This is supplemental reading. (I'm not trying to teach myself how to fly wave without practical training.)
Old September 30th 15, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 10:36:04 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
I'm reading 'Practical Wave Flying - Revised Edition' by Mark Palmer Copyright 1989 That's 26 years old.

Is there anything considered out-of-date or outright wrong in this book? Are there new areas of relevant knowledge that are not touched upon by this book?

This is supplemental reading. (I'm not trying to teach myself how to fly wave without practical training.)

Good Morning,
Thanks for your post. Mark Palmer's book has been updated several times - I am the editor and publisher of the more recent editions under the banner of the 'Gliding Mentor' series of books. The most recent edition is copyright 2013.

If you like, send me an email with your email address and I will send you a .pdf file of several pages of the 2013 edition, which will give you an idea of the many illustrations and such that have been added over the years.

Also, another book in the Gliding Mentor series - 'Riding On Air: Ridge, Wave, And Convergence Lift' by meteorologist and triple diamond glider pilot Rolf Hertenstein is very much worth a look, IMHO!

Safe Soaring,
Bob Wander

soarbooksATatATaol.com

replace ATatAT with the usual at sign for your reply.
Old September 30th 15, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Does the book feature an updated picture of Alice in more modern flying
apparel? :-)

--
Dan, 5J

Old October 1st 15, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Dunno if it's in the book, but a huge boon to finding and staying in wave here on the east coast (where it can be fairly weak and not clearly marked by clouds) is use of your moving map breadcrumbs. I zoom my ClearNav way in (not the finest scale but close) and use it to augment the more traditional Mark 1 Eyeball techniques.
Old October 27th 15, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Palmer

Dan,

I tried to get Alice to pose in her 'Battlestar Galactica' suit, but alas it was not to be.

Papa3, Bob has done an admirable job of editing PWF, but it's not up to date on modern avionics and electronics. Indeed, I think it was only in the 2nd or 3rd edition that I mentioned transponders. PWF was originally written back in the steam gauge era; I think the most modern thing at the time was the Palm Pilot.

If I ever get back into soaring (ever hopeful)I'd love to bring PWF up to date as far as electronics go. Of course, given the rate of change, by the time the book is out things will have evolved again.

Still, I think the basic weather and flying techniques are still valid.

Thanks,

Mark Palmer
Old October 29th 15, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Christopher Giacomo

+1 for the Bob Wander Series...
Hands-down the most helpful guides to wave, convergence, and ridges. Between the two listed, they cover everything from flying techniques to in-depth theory of calculating wave position and frequency to all the physiology. One of the best purchases I've made in soaring.