Combo Deals -- Do they work?

Old September 27th 05, 10:48 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...

On the other hand, that income enabled us to add a new workout room and
an in-house massage therapist -- so I guess it's all good. But I'd
personally rather do more pilot-oriented stuff.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

The new slogan... "After a Happy Landing a Happy Ending"

Old September 28th 05, 12:36 AM
George Patterson

Bob Noel wrote:

Next time, use the income to add a room that is only available to pilots.
No exceptions, no excuses. Pilots only. (maybe two rooms, one
smoking, one non-smoking)

Now, there's an idea! I still fondly remember the guy at RDU throwing me the
keys to a pilot's cubby when all the hotels were full and the dew point spread
was about 4 degrees and closing.

It doesn't have to be very big to be useful, Jay. The one I used was about twice
the size of the bed. No windows (deliberately), and a shared bathroom.

George Patterson
Old September 28th 05, 02:48 PM
Jay Honeck

It doesn't have to be very big to be useful, Jay. The one I used was about
twice the size of the bed. No windows (deliberately), and a shared
bathroom.

The airport already has stuff like that. (And, in a real pinch, we've also
got a dorm that usually has an empty bed to use. I've opened that up on
football weekends a few times.)

Mary and I are more into the "lounge in a hot tub while your young, nubile
companion feeds you grapes"-style of lodging...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 28th 05, 02:50 PM
Jay Honeck

This past summer we had 16 weddings at
the inn (well, the weddings were at the church, but you know what I
mean),

a reception?

No, we don't have a banquet hall -- yet.

These were wedding parties who held their reception at a nearby banquet hall
(within walking distance) and then were able to toddle (crawl?) back to
their suites *after* the reception. They often take every available suite
for the groomsmen, brides maids, etc.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 28th 05, 08:13 PM
Bob Noel

In article Vax_e.372071$x96.365596@attbi_s72,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Mary and I are more into the "lounge in a hot tub while your young, nubile
companion feeds you grapes"-style of lodging...

Well, my young nubile companions better be feeding *me* grapes, not you.

:-)

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old September 28th 05, 09:27 PM
Margy

Jay Honeck wrote:
Jay, one good thing you can do to help your Inn is to add more
information about the local area and link to various activities.

How's this, from our website:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/links1.htm

Or are you looking for other stuff?

(PS add more hot tubs!

Good God, man, I've already got 15 hot tub suites! How many can one
guy use????

Do you have one outside by the pool?

Margy
:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 28th 05, 09:43 PM
Margy

Jay Honeck wrote:
A thought...what about adding your own opinions of some places you, your
wife, and your kids like to go to?

How's this, from the site:

http://alexisparkinn.com/recent_events.htm

This page started off being just events held at the inn, but has evolved
into events we've been to near and around the inn, too. It's not quite
what you asked for, but it contains many of the same types of things!

Missing the point Jay, I just looked at the "Pleasure" page and from it
I see there is NOTHING to do in Iowa city. If I hunt some to the
upcoming events, then I find a link and I'll be damned there are museums
in Iowa City!!!

How about a "What to do in Iowa City" page with standing features, like
rainforests :-), museums, etc.

Margy (BTW how about a weekend combo with a balloon ride, theater
tickets, champagne dinners ...

Margy
Old September 28th 05, 09:49 PM
Margy

As a matter of fact Jay you might want to personally write each and
every type society and offer to host their next national convention.
The Navioneers spend a week every July somewhere in the US. You have to
assure a good place to race, easy access to the airport (done!), decent
places to eat (not a problem) a fly-away destination (Ammana Colonies)
and places for the spouses to go if they want. Easy access to rent a
cars or the lack of need for rent a cars a plus. What you really need
is a dinner on field and/or clean out that big room for catered affairs!
When you send out your info make sure you describe number and types of
rooms. Some folks may have to share with their friends to get everyone in.

Margy

Marco Leon wrote:
You'd probably have a better chance to get this off the ground with owners
that are a bit let's say..."fanatical" about their aircraft type. That
article had Navion owners but others may include owners of Grumman
Tiger/Cheetah/Travelers, warbird-types (L-19s come to mind), Commanders,
Ercoupes, and Bellanca Vikings. In other words, close communities of
relatively uncommon or rare types. Call some of the clubs or associations of
these birds and run the idea by them. Who knows, they may even have one of
these "parties" as a regular occurrence and are looking for a change of
venue.

Actually, you should call these clubs anyway and work out any type of
get-together. You know, offer a reduced rate and stuff as an incentive.

Marco Leon

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Just read an article in the current issue of Private Pilot about a

"annual

inspection parties." Take a look at it.

Cool idea!

I wonder how many people would actually be able to take a week off work to
get their hands dirty, though?

I do an "owner assisted" annual every year (and really enjoy it) -- but

I'm

only able to steal a day or two -- and not the entire day, usually -- to

do

it. And I've got about as flexible a schedule as you can imagine.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

http://www.usenet.com

Old September 29th 05, 03:29 AM
tony roberts

Mary and I are more into the "lounge in a hot tub while your young, nubile
companion feeds you grapes"-style of lodging...

So is the young, nubile companion a part of the package?
Come on Jay - do we have to think of everything?

I would lose the annual idea - unless you're planning on free
accommodation for everyone who is grounded - could look bad.

My suggestion is to have several packages - but do keep some of them
aviation. For example - stay in the hotel and obtain a flight rating -
or a flight review. Also throw in a sightseeing flight - you were going
anyway right? Any aviation museums nearby? Could you get an
interesting aviation speaker to come to the hotel? Or an aviation
author? Or a manufacturer's rep (Garmin GPS seminar for example)

HTH

Tony
--
If at first you don't succeed - DON'T Skydive!

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
VFR OTT
Night
Cessna 172H C-GICE
Old September 29th 05, 04:45 AM
Jay Honeck

As a matter of fact Jay you might want to personally write each and every
type society and offer to host their next national convention.

Thanks for the suggestions, Margy. We have bombed out with the bigger
groups (Cherokee Pilots Association, for example) simply because we're too
small, at just 27 rentable suites. True, there are 44 bedrooms in those
suites, but we're usually about 50% full even on bad days, so in reality
there's only about 12 - 15 suites available, total.

The Navioneers spend a week every July somewhere in the US. You have to
assure a good place to race, easy access to the airport (done!), decent
places to eat (not a problem) a fly-away destination (Ammana Colonies) and
places for the spouses to go if they want. Easy access to rent a cars or
the lack of need for rent a cars a plus. What you really need is a dinner
on field and/or clean out that big room for catered affairs!

Actually that big room that was full of junk has been our Iowa City Room for
around two years now. We can seat around 40 in rows, or 16 - 20 around
tables. The Iowa chapter of the 99s use it for their annual meeting now.

When you send out your info make sure you describe number and types of
rooms. Some folks may have to share with their friends to get everyone
in.

Thanks again for taking the time to suggest things!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA