VW Reality

Old February 6th 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charles Vincent

Default VW Reality

cavalamb himself wrote:
oilsardine wrote:

the modern 'VW engine': http://www.ulpower.com/

Now that is a sweet little motor!

165 pounds
2600 cc
claims 81 HP at 2800 RPM
500 hour TBO
FADEC
No Carb Ice problems

Only problem - I didn't catch the price?

About nineteen grand, plus shipping, handling and any taxes.

Charles
Old February 6th 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jan olieslagers[_2_]

cavalamb himself schreef:
oilsardine wrote:

the modern 'VW engine': http://www.ulpower.com/

Now that is a sweet little motor!

looks good indeed, strange to find such a nice
offer from my own country without ever
hearing about it otherwise...

Only problem - I didn't catch the price?

well, you could check out
http://www.ulpower.com/price.htm
where I read 12400 euro's, ex VAT of course,
but including more accesories than most

That being said, I am intrigued by your
mention of a 500 hrs TBO. Still on their own
website, I read
quote
ULPower has decided not to publish a TBO for our UL260i engine until we
have gained sufficient insight into how a significant number of our
engines are actually holding up to operating in real flying conditions.
/quote

which sounds wise to this beginner's ears
Old February 6th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

Come on, Bob. How do you expect the EAA to make a buck out of something as
useful as this? Sheesh, man, cherchez le dinero.

Jim

Indeed, these things are so simple -- and so fundamental to engines --
that it is difficult to understand why the EAA does NOT endorse a
program of publicly testing engines at its annual convention.

Old February 6th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Feb 6, 8:04 am, "RST Engineering" wrote:
Come on, Bob. How do you expect the EAA to make a buck out of something as
useful as this? Sheesh, man, cherchez le dinero.

Big Smiley :-)

The real question is what happens to all those bucks? Add up the
Total Compensation Package for all those wunnerful folks running the
EAA and it's enough to make Warren G. Buffett heave a sigh of envy.

But you're right. Valid, useful information doesn't buy full-page
ads. And of course, it IS all about money. On the other hand, the
more emphasis placed on selling a dime's worth of info for a dollar,
the quicker the demise of grass-roots aviation.

-R.S.Hoover
Old February 6th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Bill Daniels wrote:

These are liquid cooled engines so with a large enough radiator, you could
keep it cool. I think motorcycles do run at higher percentage power than
automobiles - they have a far worse Cd.

Bill Daniels

The cooling systems on motorcycle engines do not have sufficient coolant
flow to keep the head from over heating under prolonged running at 3/4
to full output. The water craft and snowmobile engines may have better
flow but these also have access to lower temp coolant.

Honda makes a personal water craft that has a hot little 4 banger engine
that I thought might do the job. It would take some testing to see what
it's sustained power level would be.

Tony
Old February 6th 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

cavalamb himself wrote:

There was a Neiuport 12 project (two seater) published in Kit Planes a
few years ago. He used a Yamaha engine and transmission - locked in
second gear. (IIRC!)

Real nice article about the airplane and engine.

But no a mumblin' word about how the gearbox cratered a few hours into
the test period.

But, for Pete Sakes! Run a bike at 80% power continuously - in second
gear(!) - what do you expect is going to happen?

TANFL...

I remember seeing that article. Considering the engine they used and
how they mounted it, I'm surprised the engine didn't seize up first.
They used a Yamaha Virago V-twin mounted backwards so the shaft drive
would be pointed forward. I can think of several reasons why this setup
would fail...

A few year ago when I first thought of merging 2 of my passions (bikes
and flying) I was working on ways of turning a Virago engine sideways
like a Moto Guzzi engine. The only workable solution would have been a
custom machined side case to take power directly off the clutch basket.
This would give leave you with the built in gear reduction of the
primary drive but leave out the transmission. There are lot of things
to be concerned about in a conversion like this but the 2 biggest things
I think are; would the case hold up to the side loads and would the
vibrations of the prop over load the dampening in the clutch basket? I
think turning the engine sideways in the air stream would improve
cooling so at least that would be a plus in it's favor.

If I had enough money to work the problems out of this type of
conversion I could afford a new Rotax 4.

Tony

Old February 6th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 6, 8:04 am, "RST Engineering" wrote:
Come on, Bob. How do you expect the EAA to make a buck out of
something as
useful as this? Sheesh, man, cherchez le dinero.

Big Smiley :-)

The real question is what happens to all those bucks? Add up the
Total Compensation Package for all those wunnerful folks running the
EAA and it's enough to make Warren G. Buffett heave a sigh of envy.

But you're right. Valid, useful information doesn't buy full-page
ads. And of course, it IS all about money. On the other hand, the
more emphasis placed on selling a dime's worth of info for a dollar,
the quicker the demise of grass-roots aviation.

-R.S.Hoover

So the obvious answer is to take the advertising out of it. What we need
to do is lobby Aviation Consumer to have an annual homebuilt issue.

To get that idea rolling I just sent a letter to the editor. Here's a
link so others can do the same and a copy of my letter.

Dear Sirs,

I have been a subscriber for a few years now and have been very happy
with the unbiased reviews and information you provide.

I am currently building home-built aircraft and sadly the same kind of
reporting isn't currently available for experimental specific kits,
equipment or engines.

It would be great and I think you would see a fairly large audience if
you were to produce either an annual experimental issue or add a monthly
section on experimental aircraft.

http://www.aviationconsumer.com/cgi-...form&link_id=3
Old February 6th 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavalamb himself[_2_]

Bill Daniels wrote:

I think we would be back to the same problem, the engine can't dissipate
that much heat. Motorcycles don't run at peak output any more than car
engines do and the sustainable power level would be considerably lower.
Not that a Suzuki V8 wouldn't be fun, I don't think it has what it takes
to be a good aircraft engine.

The more I think about it, the less I think any auto engine conversion is
going to do the job well. I'm looking for an old but rebuildable airplane
engine that I can rebuild rather than spend all my money on an engine I
can't trust. I don't mind it not having the certificate and I don't think
that's all that important on an home built anyway.

Tony