Microire bandwith

Old January 10th 04, 03:47 PM
Andy Durbin

Default Microire bandwith

I measured the bandwith of my Microire receiver. Test method was to
set the receiver squelch just above trip point then to sweep an rf
generator across the set frequency. The points at which squelch
tripped were recorded from the frequency counter built into the rf
generator. Results for the Microire and for an STS handheld were as
follows:

VHF Comm. Measurements 12/16/03

MicroAir:

Pass-band for squelch trip 123.2930 to 123.3070 = 14.0 kHz

STS:

123.2879 to 123.3121 or 24.2 kHz

This appears to confirm the speculation in an earlier thread that the
Microaire receiver has a narrow bandwidth and will be less tolerant of
off frequency transmitters.

I won't know if this explains the audio distortion heard when
receiving some transmitters until I can do a check on the transmit
freq of those units.

Andy
Old January 12th 04, 04:50 PM
Steve Pawling

Yes, I agree that narrow bandwidth isn't (and shouldn't be) a problem.
However, a radio that can't perform in the real world IS a problem. I
assume that all of those "loose" radios will be in use for many years
to come so maybe Microair needs to come up with some circuitry that
assures clear reception from all radios currently in service.

What about other radio brands? Do their latest models also have narrow
bandwidth and the distorted reception problem?

Steve

(Andy Durbin) wrote in message . com...

Steve,

I hope my post didn't suggest that the Microair narrow bandwidth is a
problem. 8.33kHz channel spacing will force all manufacturer's to
reduce intermediate frequency *IF* bandwidth from that used for 25kHz
spacing radios.

When the 8.33kHz channels are populated, users of 25kHz receivers may
start to experience adjacent channel rejection problems. Perhaps
Microair is one step ahead.

I still don't know what causes the distortion, but hope to make more
tests using the glider radio that is always a problem for me.

Andy