US Airways - NEVER AGAIN !!!

Old July 10th 03, 03:26 AM
Robert Henry

"Sydney Hoeltzli" wrote in message
John Galban wrote:

But Candace Kolander of the Association of Flight Attendants union says

the
airline industry has become too obsessed with pleasing passengers.

WHAT is she smoking?

Whatever it is, it's good.

Sydney

Oh, I wouldn't be so sure. I am sure airline management is obsessing about
customer satisfaction. The inability of any of them to think outside the
box and make it a reality just creates a vicious cycle.

Old July 10th 03, 04:12 AM
Sydney Hoeltzli

H. Adam Stevens wrote:

AIG blows. "How 'bout we cobble something together at the wreckong yard for
$170K?"

Unfortunately you're not the first person I've heard sing
that song .

A few years back there were a pair of Cardinal owners who had
accidents fairly close in time to each other (mechanical failure
being involved in each case).

One had AIG, the other had USAIG. Two letters, and all the
difference in the world in how the claims were handled.

Good luck,
Sydney

Old July 10th 03, 10:03 PM
Michael

"Kevin McCue" wrote
Its being a bit unrealistic to take this out on a flight crew member.

Actually, in the long run it's the right thing to do. It creates
financial consequences for the airline. It ****es off the flight
crew, and as a result the airline has to either pay the flight crew
more for dealing with the fallout or accept less-qualified flight
crew, which will show up in the insurance rates before long.

Michael
Old July 10th 03, 10:13 PM
Michael

"Tony Cox" wrote
Flow control delay is determined by *all* airlines, not just one particular
airline.

Ah yes, the "Everybody is doing it" defense.

It can also change when non-scheduled planes arrive, presidents
decide to have haircuts on the taxiway, passengers start fights and a
whole load of other externals which aren't under the control of the airline
you've decided to ride on. Not to mention unpredicted weather.

Like I said - if it happens only very rarely, it's not really a
problem. You can afford to do whatever it takes to make it right for
the customer because it's a very rare event. If it happens often
enough to **** off a lot of customers, and often enough that you just
can't do whatever it takes to make it right for the customer, and you
don't plan for it, then it's your fault for not planning for it. It's
really that simple.

You should check the Federally-mandated airline on-time statistics &
use your common sense.

I do. That's why I don't set foot on an airliner unless someone is
not only paying for my ticket but also paying for me to be there. In
those cases, I just don't worry about delays and unanticipated
expenses - the delays are work time for which I'm paid, the expenses
go on my expense report. No problem.

Michael
Old July 10th 03, 11:41 PM
Ron Natalie

"Michael" wrote in message m...

If you're shipping an employee around the country, he must have some
valuable skills. How much is it costing you to have him sitting
around for extra hours, being mostly unproductive? How much is it
costing you when you **** him off by putting him on the most
inconvenient but cheapest available flight, and he decides not to work
those extra hours to get the project done on time? Those costs are
very real, and probably greater than anything you might save on the
price of the ticket, but they're not so easy to quantify and in any
case the ticket price is right here right now, and the other costs
probably won't show up this quarter and maybe not even this year.

This is why we don't let the accountants set the travel policy.
Even when I was working for the federal government, I successfully
fought some rediculous travel arrangements that was not advantageous
to the overall picture of the government. Usually all it takes is to
have your supervisor have some balls to authorize it. Even without
that, savvy gov't travellers know what the rules are and how to exploit them
(to the point of requiring the gov't pay for a rental car to go to non preferred
airports, invoking the fact that they can't make you start a trip outside of duty
hours, etc...

Old July 11th 03, 03:43 AM
PS2727

Actually, in the long run it's the right thing to do. It creates
financial consequences for the airline. It ****es off the flight
crew, and as a result the airline has to either pay the flight crew
more for dealing with the fallout or accept less-qualified flight
crew, which will show up in the insurance rates before long.

Your logic escapes me. Airline travel has become the bus service in the air so
luxury is out and mass tansit is in now. That means more crowded skies and,
unfortunately, more delays. I think you will find flight crews are not willing
to put up with childish behavior and will simply remove people who can't behave
in a civilized manner. Bringing an attitude on the plane is not a winning
strategy anymore.
If you don't like airline travel then by all means find another way.
Old July 11th 03, 05:18 AM
Capt. Doug

Michael wrote in message Actually, in the long run it's the right thing
to do. It creates financial consequences for the airline. It ****es off
the flight
crew, and as a result the airline has to either pay the flight crew
more for dealing with the fallout or accept less-qualified flight
crew, which will show up in the insurance rates before long.

You are severely misguided. Flightcrews have been dealing with delays since
commercial flying started in much the same way. A mean-spirited passenger
venting on us won't change anything, except that we may have that passenger
removed from the plane.

D.

Old July 11th 03, 05:18 AM
Capt. Doug

Michael wrote in message If you're shipping an employee around the
country, he must have some valuable skills. How much is it costing you to
have him sitting
around for extra hours, being mostly unproductive? How much is it
costing you when you **** him off by putting him on the most
inconvenient but cheapest available flight, and he decides not to work
those extra hours to get the project done on time?

The alternative is easy. Send the employee on a charter flight, or acquire a
plane. However, are these alternatives more cost effective than a few hours
of lost productivity? That employee must have some very special skills
indeed!

D.

Old July 11th 03, 03:17 PM
Dylan Smith

On 11 Jul 2003 02:43:12 GMT, PS2727 wrote:
Your logic escapes me. Airline travel has become the bus service in the air so
luxury is out and mass tansit is in now. That means more crowded skies and,
unfortunately, more delays.

If only airline travel was as convenient as mass transit.

Train: turn up at the station, buy a ticket, get on, go. No need to arrive
at the station more than 10 minutes early except at busy times. Tickets
can be bought at a 'vending machine' if you don't have anything special
keeping queues down. Trip from London to Edinburgh: 3 hrs 59 minutes. On
a weekend, only a small fee to upgrade to First Class. Even discount
tickets have reasonable flexibility. There is usually a train station
reasonably close to your destination. If you have to change trains,
the wait at the intermediate station is usually fairly brief. If you miss
a connection, generally there's not too much trouble getting the next one.

Plane: Obliged to turn up at least an hour before departure. Long queues.
You have to buy the ticket way in advance to get any kind of discount.
Lengthy security checks. Airline airports are almost always a fair distance
to where you actually want to go. Trip from London to Edinburgh + waiting
usually also at least 4 hours. No flexibility with a discount ticket at
all. Layovers are usually at least an hour if you have to change planes.

People complain about the trains, but I'd far rather go by train
than airline. Railway staff don't treat you like a terror suspect.

GA: Go whenever you want. Usually a GA aerodrome close to where you want
to go. Your luggage doesn't get lost. You might get delayed, but you'll
spend the time amongst other flyers, and can usually borrow a car or get
a lift somewhere outside whilst you wait for the weather to improve.
You don't have to be wedged between two other passengers, one of whom
is a screaming toddler.
Expensive, but worth every damned penny. GA gains a great deal of utility
when you live on a relatively small island.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net