Trailer license problem

Old May 28th 18, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PapaTango of Indiana

Default Trailer license problem

I purchased a glider. FAA registration was done with the FAA bill of sale, had no problem. The trailer and the glider are in Pennsylvania, have no license plate and have only a 10 years old registration from Florida. It never accrued to me that my Indiana state license office will not accept the FAA bill of sale for the license plate application. Good lesson to you all, to have a separate bill of sale from your own state’s official motor vehicle form. Now, I have to chase the seller from overseas to sign a new form. However, there are more issues. This trailer never had a title being registered in Florida and Indiana will not issue a new license plate without a title and that local bill of sale. Many things could be done if the trailer would be back in my home state. I am trying to tow the trailer home soon and not hand it over to a commercial shipper. You guys must know something how to get a temporary sticker or something from PA. Do I need a temp travel pass from each state that I will cross? How does this work?
Thank you for your time!
Old May 28th 18, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 1:49:13 PM UTC-5, PapaTango of Indiana wrote:
[...]

Can't you register it as a 'new' home built trailer?
Old May 28th 18, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 2:54:23 PM UTC-4, Tom BravoMike wrote:
[...]

That was my back up plan. For home build trailers the state (IN)) require a new vin number application and install, a new "court order title, (timely), an official state scale to verify the weight, and a on site inspection by the police. I have to do all these things after I got the trailer back in state.
Old May 28th 18, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

My Alberta vehicle and driver registry suggested that they would give me a trailer plate once the selling owner faxed me a bill of sale, which they did. I also had the selling owner contact the original owner to supply a bill of sale (notarized) so that I had a chain of title crossing into Canada.

That did not prevent certain Canada Customs officers from throwing a hissy fit. To their great disappointment the VIN for the plate matched the VIN on the trailer.

Oh yes, the plate on the trailer came from a souvenir shop. The myth was that it was "agricultural equipment" not needing a plate. Will your friendly highway trooper swallow that or call in a flatbed?

Some states have trailer titles and others don't. Some states offer in transit permits and others make it difficult, if not practically impossible, for private parties.

If you do get an in transit permit, it's generally good anywhere in the US and Canada.

If PA won't give you one, maybe a bordering state would.

Moving from Ontario with a newly acquired car on a 10 day temporary permit, I had to get another temporary permit in Manitoba on the way to Alberta.

Good Luck!
Old May 28th 18, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Todd

Michigan will issue a PERMANENT plate (around $70) to non-residents. Cost based on weight (so empty everything out) and get certified weight ticket. Then register it as a home built.Check MI Sec of State website for details.

Personally, no one every looks a trailer plates so go get the glider and deal with the plates later.I drive my camper around with out plates all the (don't keep plates on camper as they were stolen once. Some states do not even require plates on non-com trailers. a real mish-mash or laws. (Like KS has no registration as long as loaded trailer is under 2000 lb)
Old May 28th 18, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Your bill of sale is good to get your glider home, just make sure it's insured along with the glider.
GB
Old May 28th 18, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

And if you’re lucky and have two.........only need one plate......to help the revenuers with less paperwork.
Old May 29th 18, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 11:49:13 AM UTC-7, PapaTango of Indiana wrote:
[...]

I am having issues with getting registration in California for a Florida trailer. Paperwork has been back and forth to Sacramento THREE times now. Going to the DMV again tomorrow. I had a bill of sale from pervious owner, that included the trailer. He even got new new FL plates for the trailer and I have his FL registration. CA is insisting on a title from FL even though they don't issue them.

Will see what happens tomorrow...
Old May 29th 18, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 6:04:40 PM UTC-6, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
[...]

Similar situation here in that I have a trailer with a Bill of Sale, a current out of state registration and plate. I have to get a Surety Bond and have the trailer inspected by DMV in order to get a valid NM title. A doable hassle that I have done before.

So many trailers, so few titles!

Mike
Old May 29th 18, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

PA is a real bugger when it comes to vehicle registration. I do not believe you can get a temporary plate - as far as I know that can only come from a registered dealer. To get the trailer back from PA to IN you need to be creative - do you have a friend in IN who has the same make glider trailer with a valid license?

As far as registering it permanently once it's in IN, I had a Cobra trailer in PA that I successfully registered with bills of sale going in a continuous chain all the way from the fellow I bought it from to Schleicher and finally to Spindeberger. It took a real experienced tag place, but I succeeded in getting a PA registration.

Good luck!

-John