Emergency Landing-Engine DEAD

Old June 19th 08, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

Default Emergency Landing-Engine DEAD

On Jun 19, 3:23*pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:
Larry Dighera wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 22:50:25 -0400, Orval Fairbairn
wrote in
:

Also, grass runways cut tire and brake wear *WAY down!

I would expect sod strips to be ideal for learning to master landing a
tail-wheeled *aircraft.

In checking pilots out in a Pitts, I always had them use the grass first
and get REALLY proficient with the roll out behavior of the airplane
before sending them on to a hard surface. Grass was MADE for a Pitts! :-))

In my limited experience the key to a good FLWOP is planning the 1000'
and 2000' points. If you nail them the glide approach is much more
straightfoward.

my 2c

Cheers
Old June 19th 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2008-06-18, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
Most of the Bo (and other higher-performance singles) never practice
engine-out emergencies. They also tend to fly approach at far too-high
airspeed.

In the case of an engine out, a higher approach speed might be
necessary. IIRC, I used to be on short final in an S-35 Bonanza at 65
knots IAS with full flaps, but I had some power on. The S-35 manual
cautioned the pilot to approach 10 knots faster in the case of engine
failure, to have sufficient energy for the flare. The sink rate in a
power off approach is also higher, it really does look like the ground
is coming up to smite you. If you've never landed one power off before
this could be a bit startling and induce the pilot to flare too early.

--
From the sunny Isle of Man.
Old June 19th 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

On 2008-06-18, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
Most of the Bo (and other higher-performance singles) never practice
engine-out emergencies. They also tend to fly approach at far too-high
airspeed.

In the case of an engine out, a higher approach speed might be
necessary. IIRC, I used to be on short final in an S-35 Bonanza at 65
knots IAS with full flaps, but I had some power on. The S-35 manual
cautioned the pilot to approach 10 knots faster in the case of engine
failure, to have sufficient energy for the flare. The sink rate in a
power off approach is also higher, it really does look like the ground
is coming up to smite you. If you've never landed one power off before
this could be a bit startling and induce the pilot to flare too early.

--

That makes a lot of sense. The one time that I was along in a Bellanca
Viking for a radically reduced power approach, the descent rate and angle

Peter

Old June 19th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,

On 2008-06-18, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
Most of the Bo (and other higher-performance singles) never practice
engine-out emergencies. They also tend to fly approach at far too-high
airspeed.

In the case of an engine out, a higher approach speed might be
necessary. IIRC, I used to be on short final in an S-35 Bonanza at 65
knots IAS with full flaps, but I had some power on. The S-35 manual
cautioned the pilot to approach 10 knots faster in the case of engine
failure, to have sufficient energy for the flare. The sink rate in a
power off approach is also higher, it really does look like the ground
is coming up to smite you. If you've never landed one power off before
this could be a bit startling and induce the pilot to flare too early.

That is why you need to PRACTICE!

Old June 19th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

On 2008-06-18, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
[...]

I do it all the time in my Johnson Rocket. Approach at 80 mph, descent
indicated 2000-3000 fpm.

Come overhead at 160, break, pull power back during the break, slow to
100 mph gear/flap speed, drop the gear, hold 80 mph, turn tight base,
full flaps on final, start the flare about 30-50 ft, grease it on in a
full stall.

Yes, the ground DOES come up fast -- especially with a significant
headwind, but it all becomes routine with practice.

Old June 21st 08, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:29:12 -0500, Jim Logajan
wrote:

What makes turf airstrips fun?

I believe he means that, as a general rule, it's their locations that make
them more fun than paved ones.

Grass is MUCH easier to land on than asphalt, especially in a
taildragger. The additional friction seems to rule out the possibility
of a ground loop, and there's no revealing SQUEAK when you touch down.

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com
Old June 21st 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:49:52 -0400, Cubdriver usenet AT danford DOT
net wrote in :

The additional friction seems to rule out the possibility
of a ground loop,

You believe that rubber tires have more traction in turf than they do
on asphalt?
Old June 21st 08, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

net wrote in :

The additional friction seems to rule out the possibility
of a ground loop,

You believe that rubber tires have more traction in turf than they do
on asphalt?

The main gear, with less traction has a reduced tendency to create a
groundloop, while the tailwheel has extra drag, which stabilizes the
landing.

Old June 23rd 08, 10:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

net wrote in :

The additional friction seems to rule out the possibility
of a ground loop,

You believe that rubber tires have more traction in turf than they do
on asphalt?

Grass is draggier BUT you have less traction on it. That's why it's more
forgiving in a tailwheel plane - you'll slow faster with less brakes,
but if you touch down slightly sideways the wheels will tend to slip.

If you've ever ridden a bicycle from a tarmac surface to a grass
surface, you'll grok the difference.

--
From the sunny Isle of Man.