lightweight helmet

Old January 14th 04, 04:26 AM
Ryan Young

Frederick Wilson wrote in message news:QDVMb.43355$sv6.119352@attbi_s52...
Joa wrote:

Can anyone recommend a very lightweight helmet that has built in ANR
or that can be retrofitted with it? Something similar to the light
skiing helmets folks are wearing or perhaps something like a hockey
type of helmet (paint it black and look Delta).

Thanks.

Joa

The Army GBU-56 (army surplus?) is pretty darn light weight. Has clear and
gray shields and it looks cool.

Fred

I think you mean the HGU-56.
http://www.check6aviation.com/pages/...ge/phh8082.htm $315.

But the original poster was looking for an ANR device. The ultralight
people have helmets with cutouts for headsets, like the David Clark
cranial, for a bit less, but not much less money.

Not sure this link will work, if it doesn't, Google "California Power
Systems" http://mikes.automated-shops.com/cgi..._sresults.html

Get one of these, and couple it with your favorite ANR headset, or,
get the add-on ANR kit for one of the headsets these helmets are
designed for.

The purpose of such a helmet IS a bit debatable. The guy who flipped
his Bearcat a few years back was probably wearing one; the impact
broke his neck. Mr Brock might have survived his crash at Rosamond had
he been wearing one (his wife did), but who wants to, in a pleasure
flight with a passenger.

If you're wearing a shoulder harness in a plane with decent interior
design, and good rollover protection, OK fine, you don't need one.

The army fits it's helicopter aircrews with cranials for protection
for flying objects, from fire, and for comms. Also people aren't
always strapped in when flying helos, and when they crash, they may
get ejected or at least banged into something. Cranials keep a larger
fraction of those people alive.

It all depends on what kind of flying you're doing, in what kind of
airplane.
Old January 14th 04, 05:19 AM
Bill Wallace

Corrie,
Light duty helmets (bicycle, skate etc.) do not have the apropriate
crushable impact protection needed at the speeds/inertias of aviation
use. A bike helmet (most of them)are useless styrofoam and a light
shell. Skate helmets aren't much better. DOT, SNELL and ANSI test and
certify helmets for different uses.
UltraComm and Instruct-a-comm are a couple of other manufacturers that
make helmets for ultralight use. My comment about the $15 head was
meant as humor, not as a dig. I know your head is worth at least $20!
(another joke, come on loosen up).
Bill "$21head" Wallace

(Corrie) wrote in message . com...
Um, not to be a pill, but how is "aviation use" - especially for a
homebuilder - special? What's the purpose of a helmet? To protect
your head from damage when it hits something, right? What are you
likely to hit your head on while skating, skateboarding or biking?
Pavement - at speeds up to 20 mph or so. What are you likely to hit
your head on while flying an airplane? Internal structure (in
turbulence)? I know that military pilots wear substantial helmets,
but they face ejecting at high speed. WWII flyers wore cloth caps.

Ultralight flyers often wear full-face helmets like those worn by many
motocycle riders, but they risk hitting the ground at speeds faster
than a fast taxi.

So for our purposes, what's the need for an "aviation" helmet?

(Bill Wallace) wrote in message . com...
David Clark makes a hard (pieced) helmet that adapts to any of their
headsets. The model # is K-10, and it's pricey.
A ProTec, while you may be able to hang your headset on them, are not
made for aviation use. Don't waste your money on one (unless your head
is only worth $15!).
Bill

David Clark makes a cloth helmet.

Go to a sporting goods store and look for a skateboard helmet. We call them
Pro-techs...I picked mine up for about $15, and slapped an NVG mount on it,
for night E&E. You might be able to mod it to fit a headset...
...and they aren't just for Delta

Brad B.

Old January 14th 04, 12:01 PM
Frederick Wilson

I better not find anyone in my helo (crewchief excepted, they have the
monkey harness.) without a seat belt on.

And yes you are right I did mean HGU-56. Aren't GBUs little bomblets?

Fred

om...

Old January 14th 04, 03:39 PM
Richard Carlisle

On 1/14/04 7:01 AM, in article IcaNb.48812$sv6.126058@attbi_s52, "Frederick
Wilson" wrote:

I better not find anyone in my helo (crewchief excepted, they have the
monkey harness.) without a seat belt on.

And yes you are right I did mean HGU-56. Aren't GBUs little bomblets?

I use a military Gentex helmet occasionally...don't know what model it is.
I got it for free and converted the electronics. I think it is a helo
helmet. It has a tinted visor that slides down. The passive noise
canceling is much better with the helmet than with either my David Clarks or
Flightcoms.

I've always wanted to try active noise canceling headsets, but I can't past
the price tag.

Most of the time I use a RAD intercom and headsets. Noise canceling is good
since it was designed from the start for ultralight type noise and the
intercom electronics are a bit "smarted" than the average low end intercom.
Most intercoms clip when the squelch overrides the mike input. The RAD
intercom does not clip. It seems to suppress the noise but allow voice to
come through. I'm not sure exactly how it works. I know that the headsets
use a dynamic mic rather than an electret like most GA headsets.

Ross

Old January 14th 04, 04:48 PM
Frank

Ron Wanttaja wrote in
:

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 02:27:03 GMT, Frank wrote:

So for our purposes, what's the need for an "aviation" helmet?

Most aviation deaths are caused by head injury, hitting the dash or
other structure.

Can you quote a source on this?

Sorry Ron, I believe I read it in an old EAA publication back when they
were trying to get everyone to install a shoulder harness.

Old January 14th 04, 05:04 PM
nafod40

Ryan Young wrote:

The purpose of such a helmet IS a bit debatable. The guy who flipped
his Bearcat a few years back was probably wearing one; the impact
broke his neck. Mr Brock might have survived his crash at Rosamond had
he been wearing one (his wife did), but who wants to, in a pleasure
flight with a passenger.

If you're wearing a shoulder harness in a plane with decent interior
design, and good rollover protection, OK fine, you don't need one.

If you've grown up wearing one, so to speak, then there's really no down
side to a helmet. I flew with a helmet for thousands of hours, and now
wear one every other day while ski patrolling. It's just what I wear.
Keeps the noggin warm, gives me a place to hang the radio stuff on, and
a place to hang the goggles/visor. Might even protect me in an accident.

I remember watching a guy preflight his A-4 without a helmet, and there
was an arming switch below the practice bomb pointing straight down
towards his head as he kicked the left mainmount. I thought, man, it
would hurt if he stood straight up right now...probably drive that thing
through his skull even.

Well, he stood straight up, and while not penetrating his skull, it did
uncage his eyeballs. He found god and evented new profanity simultaneously.

Old January 14th 04, 08:59 PM
John Grammer

I have the Gentex HGU-33 with the passive ear protection installed and
belive me it is quite! But you can get ANR installed in the Helmet. It
also has first rate communication equipment installed and can be
painted the way you want it.

I had to save my pennies for it, but when it comes down to it what is
your head worth? Gentex is truly the 1st class helmet, you get the all
the great quality ear protection and communication set up.

JohnG