Flying to and in Mexico

Old August 24th 05, 11:46 PM
Birdbrain13

Default Flying to and in Mexico

I'm looking at flying down the Baja Penninsula.
anybody here done it? some guy around here is telling me you need to
be IFR fly in Mexico - is that correct?

I know you need to land on both sides of the border and do some
paperwork.

I guess I could look it up - but I'm hoping for some local experience!

Gonzo

Old August 25th 05, 12:33 AM
ET

"Birdbrain13" wrote in news:1124923574.752283.76220
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

http://www.bajabushpilots.com/index.php

--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old August 25th 05, 03:51 AM
MC

"Birdbrain13" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm looking at flying down the Baja Penninsula.
anybody here done it? some guy around here is telling me you need to
be IFR fly in Mexico - is that correct?

Good step by step experience here.....

http://www.rvproject.com/flying_and_...tml#mexico2004

Old August 26th 05, 08:30 AM
hannu

"Birdbrain13" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm looking at flying down the Baja Penninsula.
anybody here done it? some guy around here is telling me you need to
be IFR fly in Mexico - is that correct?

I know you need to land on both sides of the border and do some
paperwork.

I have no idea about the situation today - but some 16 years ago I went
twice to central America
(first only until Guatemala, next until Panama) with a cessna 150 and had no
problems when flying in Mexico.
Is still don't have any ifr papers - just the basic PPL.

If it still is the same, you only need the normal papers for the plane + the
mexican insurance (they forced us
to support their company but it was not very expensive). On those days it
was really nice to land in the evening
to some isolated little strip (once we landed even to a field - I mean a
real farmer field), erect the tent
under the wing, make pancakes on open fire and continue the next morning.
The crime rate might make this
a little risky today ?? Does someone know better ?

Hopefully you will have a good trip. And take a little pain spray bottle
with you (the same color as your plane).
Spray a small paint dot on a corner (or a screw) of each little maintenance
cover on the plane (wings, body...) where
somebody might possibly hide something while you are sleeping or away from
the airfield. If those paint dots
are untouched when you return back to US, you can say with bright eyes that
there are no drugs hiding in your
plane. But if some dot is broken, it is very possible that somebody has
opened that plate and hidden something
inside the wing. It is very unlikely to happen - but it feels better to be
"sure". If something is found there, it may
be hard to convince people that you did not have any idea about it. Even
though it probably would be correct.

hannu

Old August 26th 05, 04:31 PM
Gene Seibel

I flew VFR into Mexico in the 80's. One day I was told I couldn't fly
into Mexico City without an instrument rating, but I never did figure
out if that was true all the time or on that day because of weather.
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of Flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html