Question about auto gas STC

Old June 2nd 04, 02:52 AM
JimT96309

Default Question about auto gas STC

I am currently interested in an older C-172 (Cont. 0-300 engine) that has an
STC for auto gas. My questions a

1. Can I continue to use AVgas instead of auto fuel?

2. I often fly into/out of Big Bear City, Ca. (elev. 6500ft.) I've been able
to get out lightly loaded (me and one in the right seat) at a density altitude
of 8,100 with one of our clubs 172s with the 320H2AD engines at 160 hp. What
difference would I see with the 15 fewer horses up front?

3. Can you give me a rough idea of cost to add a 2nd Nav-comm with Glideslope
and then have the whole thing certified for IFR? I would probably try to find a
good quality used one from one of the local shops.

Thanks for any help you can give to a rookie getting ready to make a first
purchase.

Jim

Old June 2nd 04, 03:33 AM
Newps

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
2. I often fly into/out of Big Bear City, Ca. (elev. 6500ft.) I've

been
able
to get out lightly loaded (me and one in the right seat) at a density
altitude
of 8,100 with one of our clubs 172s with the 320H2AD engines at 160 hp.

What
difference would I see with the 15 fewer horses up front?

How do you get 15 fewer horses? You may actually get a few more with
mogas.

His has 15 fewer than the clubs 172 with the O320. The O300 bird won't
perform as well unless it is lighter.

Old June 2nd 04, 03:46 AM
JimT96309

How do you get 15 fewer horses? You may actually get a few more with
mogas.

It is my understanding that the 0-300 is only rated at 145 hp.
Old June 2nd 04, 04:30 AM
zatatime

On 02 Jun 2004 01:52:19 GMT, (JimT96309) wrote:

I am currently interested in an older C-172 (Cont. 0-300 engine) that has an
STC for auto gas. My questions a

1. Can I continue to use AVgas instead of auto fuel?

Yes.

2. I often fly into/out of Big Bear City, Ca. (elev. 6500ft.) I've been able
to get out lightly loaded (me and one in the right seat) at a density altitude
of 8,100 with one of our clubs 172s with the 320H2AD engines at 160 hp. What
difference would I see with the 15 fewer horses up front?

172s with the 0-300 were also made with a different wing design. It
is not a "high lift wing" like you are used to. You will not get the
same take-off performance out of it.

3. Can you give me a rough idea of cost to add a 2nd Nav-comm with Glideslope
and then have the whole thing certified for IFR? I would probably try to find a
good quality used one from one of the local shops.

Figure 5 grand and you might be happy when you get the bill.

Thanks for any help you can give to a rookie getting ready to make a first
purchase.

Don't know if you're partial to 172s for any reason, but you may want
to open up the search to other aircraft. Piper and Grumman may offer
you something with suitable performance and a slightly less expensive
purchase price. Obviously this opens up a whole bunch of other
questions you need to answer for yourself, but if high altitude ops
are your primary concern I thought it worth mentioning.

Jim

Good Luck!!

Old June 2nd 04, 11:48 AM
Dan Truesdell

That is correct. I believe the 145 HP O-300 was replaced by the
Lycoming 150HP O-320 around '68. We had an O-300 in ours and decided
to replace it with a O-360 (180 HP). Glad we did. Continental doesn't
make the O-300 any more, and the extra 35 HP is great. It's a little
expensive (somewhere around $32K) but you get a factory new engine. I
love having the extra power and getting to keep the manual 40 degree
flaps. (Ours is a '64 E model.)

--
Remove "2PLANES" to reply.

Old June 2nd 04, 03:04 PM
TTA Cherokee Driver

JimT96309 wrote:

3. Can you give me a rough idea of cost to add a 2nd Nav-comm with Glideslope
and then have the whole thing certified for IFR? I would probably try to find a
good quality used one from one of the local shops.

Conventional wisdom (I am not an owner so do not know) is that it's more
economical to spend the money to get a plane that already has the
avionics you want, rather than buy low and try to upgrade. Not to
mention the downtime in the avionics shop, are you buying it to fly it
or to park it in the shop?

Old June 2nd 04, 04:38 PM
Jim Weir

(JimT96309)

-I am currently interested in an older C-172 (Cont. 0-300 engine) that has an
-STC for auto gas. My questions a
-
-1. Can I continue to use AVgas instead of auto fuel?

Yes. You can mix and match all you want.

-
-2. I often fly into/out of Big Bear City, Ca. (elev. 6500ft.) I've been able
-to get out lightly loaded (me and one in the right seat) at a density altitude
-of 8,100 with one of our clubs 172s with the 320H2AD engines at 160 hp. What
-difference would I see with the 15 fewer horses up front?

I took our 172 (64 E model) in and out of Big Bear several dozen times over the
years. You just learn not to do it between 10 am and 7 pm. Not a big deal.

-
-3. Can you give me a rough idea of cost to add a 2nd Nav-comm with Glideslope
-and then have the whole thing certified for IFR? I would probably try to find
-good quality used one from one of the local shops.

The best thing about an older aircraft is that you can learn to work on it
yourself without a lot of hassle. A second navcom with GS can be had on Ebay
for $700 or so. Two weeks of your work will install it AND give you a hell of
an insight into the internal workings of your aircraft.

What does "certified for IFR" mean? Find me an FAR reference.

-

http://www.rst-engr.com