Annual Operating Costs

Old September 5th 05, 02:01 AM
Jim Burns

Default Annual Operating Costs

I just figured up the first year's annual operating costs on our Aztec.

Using an average fuel price of $2.75 per gallon, we flew, hangered
(partially heated), insured, and maintained it for $188 per Tach hour,
slightly less per Hobbs hour.

This does not include any upgrades or improvements. All maintenance is
owner assisted w/A&P sign off. An $11 per hour per engine charge was
included (AOPA's figure). Also included was our first year insurance cost
which was reduced $500 upon renewal this year.

Jim Burns

Old September 5th 05, 02:30 AM
SAC

Jim,

How many hours were flown in the year's calculations?

SAC

Old September 5th 05, 04:06 AM
Jack Allison

Interesting Jim. Any idea how your $188/tach hour compares to rental
rates of an equivalent twin? Just curious since I figure my costs on
the Arrow are running right at 1/2 of what a rental Arrow goes for.
Granted, that's only comparing to one local FBO and my fixed costs are
divided by three.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old September 5th 05, 01:58 PM
Jim Burns

I just did a check on private2ATP.com and there are 2 for rent within 100
miles of me. One is $180 per hour, one is $235 per hour.
Jim

Old September 5th 05, 02:34 PM
Jon Kraus

Jim,

Our FBO is now charging $3.90 per gallon for 100LL. I expect it to go
over $4.00 soon. :-(

Jon KRaus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

Old September 5th 05, 02:46 PM
Jim Burns

I've got to give our FBO manager a lot of credit, he held the price to $2.97
until just last week, now it's $3.57. I looked up some of the prices from
last year, we had some local purchases as low as $2.11. If we fly as much
next year, the effect of the fuel prices will have a pretty big effect on
our per hour costs. At the current fuel price it's running around $210 per
tach hour with everything else remaining the same.
Jim

Old September 5th 05, 02:48 PM
Jon Kraus

I do expect the fuel prices to come down but just don't know how much.
It seems like the market price for a barrel for oil is starting to come
down ( a little) but we are experiencing the "supply and demand" spike
due to Katrina. Mogas here in Indianapolis went up 70 cents last week!!

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

Old September 5th 05, 08:23 PM
Roy Page

Jack,

Seems the Arrow is doing a good job for you ?
I am interested to know how per flying hour do you put aside for engine and
propeller overhaul ?

Roy
N5804F Archer II

Old September 5th 05, 09:23 PM
Robert M. Gary

" Just curious since I figure my costs on
the Arrow are running right at 1/2 of what a rental Arrow goes for. "

Didn't you just buy this plane though. I would be really surprised if
the cost of ownership ends up being less than rental. I Mooney costs
about $85/hr to operate and that does not include base annual, tie
down, insurance, taxes, etc, just hourly related costs. A fully loaded
cost would be closer to $150/hr. There are lots of reasons to buy a
plane, but saving money wouldn't likely be one of them.

-Robert

Jet Ranger Operating Costs? greenwavepilot Owning 5 February 3rd 05 03:31 PM
Navajo operating costs Hamish Owning 0 June 25th 04 02:31 AM
Annual Costs - Take the Pledge Roger Long Owning 25 February 1st 04 03:41 PM