Cleaning Windows -- Acrylic Cleaners?

Old September 5th 05, 02:32 PM
Jon Kraus

Plexus is good but it is kinda pricey. I think I paid 7 bucks at our FBO
for some. I guess compared to a new windshield it is cheap though. :-)

Jon Kraus
'79 201
4443H @ TYQ

zatatime wrote:

I'm wondering what type of acrylic cleaners are used to clean the
windsheild and windows in your aircraft and where you get it. I've
found a bunch of cleaners through the standard aviation sales channels
but am wondering if there is something I could pick up locally so I
don't always have to plan ahead.

TIA for any responses.

Old September 5th 05, 05:45 PM
ShawnD2112

Lemon Pledge. Can't go wrong.

I reckon more of that stuff is sold to pilots than the whole rest of the
world combined. :-)

Shawn
PS - I wonder if Johnson Wax know about its use in GA?

Old September 5th 05, 05:51 PM
Mike Noel

Another thing to keep in mind with acrylic cleaners is the dew point. One
rare morning in Tucson when the dew point was very close to the outside air
temperature, I had to run the defroster for several minutes before I could
see well enough to taxi because of the dew that formed after cleaning the
windscreen with Plexus. I guess I was lucky it didn't happen when I was in
the air. I would guess that anything that causes water to bead instead of
flow (like waxes) could also make this happen.

Old September 5th 05, 05:56 PM
Matt Barrow

"Mike Noel" wrote in message
Another thing to keep in mind with acrylic cleaners is the dew point. One
rare morning in Tucson when the dew point was very close to the outside

air
temperature, I had to run the defroster for several minutes before I could
see well enough to taxi because of the dew that formed after cleaning the
windscreen with Plexus. I guess I was lucky it didn't happen when I was

in
the air. I would guess that anything that causes water to bead instead of
flow (like waxes) could also make this happen.

What about a treatment for use AFTER cleaning the windows?

--
Matt
---------------------

Old September 5th 05, 10:29 PM
Mike W.

Good lord, don't tell them, the price will go up to $11.95 a can.

Lemon Pledge. Can't go wrong.

Old September 5th 05, 11:00 PM
Dave Stadt

"ShawnD2112" wrote in message
Lemon Pledge. Can't go wrong.

I reckon more of that stuff is sold to pilots than the whole rest of the
world combined. :-)

Shawn
PS - I wonder if Johnson Wax know about its use in GA?

Seeing as the recently departed Sam Johnson was one of the largest
supporters of general aviation in the world and was himself an avid pilot I
would suspect the SC Johnson company is well aware.

Old September 8th 05, 11:46 PM
zatatime

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 21:24:44 -0400, zatatime wrote:

I'm wondering what type of acrylic cleaners are used to clean the
windsheild and windows in your aircraft and where you get it. I've
found a bunch of cleaners through the standard aviation sales channels
but am wondering if there is something I could pick up locally so I
don't always have to plan ahead.

TIA for any responses.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions to this question.
Currently I am on the look out for Plexus and/or Novus. Appreciate
everyone's input!