CNX-80 vs Garmin 430/530

Old November 23rd 03, 02:07 PM
Thomas Borchert

Paul,

I can't see that WAAS is not here to stay. But the 430/530 will support
WAAS, too.

Some dislike the operating of the CNX-80 and find it more convoluted
than the 430/530. Some love the CNX-80 for the ability to enter airways
in flightplans.

You might want to read the articles Aviation Consumer published on
this.

One problem I would see with the GX 55 that it is for sure an orphaned
unit since AFAIK GarminAT has announced it will be discontinued.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 23rd 03, 02:08 PM
Kyler Laird

Jeff writes:

There is no doubt about it that Apollo made some really good avionics, but
pricey as hell.
that SL-30 radio is like $4000+ by its self.

Eastern Avionics has them for $3189. That's considerably cheaper than
getting two plain nav/comms with similar features. Of course they work
a lot better (in normal situations) than two separate units and require
much less space (and power, installation, ...), so it seems like quite
a bargain to me.

--kyler
Old November 23rd 03, 02:52 PM
Rad

check out an article on avionicswest.com... apparently, they did some sort
of a test by having a bunch of pilots fly both.. vast majority preferred 530
over cnx80...

"Paul DeSmet" wrote in message
It looks like the new CNX-80 is the way of the future. Has anyone used
one?

Old November 23rd 03, 04:40 PM
Jeff

where is it?
I couldnt find it on the garmin site when I looked

Roy Smith wrote:

In article ,
Jeff wrote:

paul, you can download and install the traner for most of garmins GPS's. go
to garmin.com and then to avionics. its free andit will give you a feel for
what they do. the cnx80 is about the only one that does not have a trainer
for it online.

There is a trainer for the CNX. It's not a real simulator like for the
other boxes, more of a multi-media guided tour of all the features of
the box. More than a manual, but less than a sim.

Old November 23rd 03, 04:43 PM
Jeff

thats one radio for that amount, not two. Adding the CNX-80 would give you two
com's. I know the SL30 does alot, but its still allot for one radio. Also that
3100 does not include install

Old November 23rd 03, 04:54 PM
Stuart King

You can download the CNX-80 training program from my website.
www.kingfamily.net/cnx80 but its kinda big (60MB)

Stuart

Old November 23rd 03, 05:24 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
Jeff wrote:

where is it?
I couldnt find it on the garmin site when I looked

Ok, I'm stumped. I'm pretty sure it used to be there, but I can't find
it now. I've got it in a 30-meg zip file. If you like, I'll be happy
to send you a copy.
Old November 23rd 03, 06:32 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
I can't imagine why you would think that WAAS is a failed system. Read Joe
Shelton's article in the December IFR magazine...WAAS and LAAS are for

real.

LAAS is for real and now that WAAS is released, we can move LAAS forward.

Old November 23rd 03, 06:34 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Paul,

I can't see that WAAS is not here to stay. But the 430/530 will support
WAAS, too.

Some dislike the operating of the CNX-80 and find it more convoluted
than the 430/530. Some love the CNX-80 for the ability to enter airways
in flightplans.

It is pressure altitude and the 5 times per second GPS engine that give the
CNX it's advantages.

Old November 23rd 03, 06:45 PM
Thomas Borchert

Tarver,

It is pressure altitude and the 5 times per second GPS engine that give the
CNX it's advantages.

Hmm. Have you found the update rate of the Garmins lacking? In what kind of
situation?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)