Garmin530 and MX20

Old November 25th 03, 02:09 AM
O. Sami Saydjari

Thanks. Looks like the subscription service is pretty reasonable.

Jeff, Is there a limit to which GPS's will hook into a MX20? For
example, the plane I am considering buying as an Apollo GX-50 GPS. Will
that interface to the MX20? That would be awesome!

-Sami

Jeff wrote:

the garmin weather module is here
http://www.garmin.com/products/gdl49/

it sends weather overlay to the GPS.

having 2 gps's gives you the ability to have like an arrival procedure on one
GPS, say the 430, then you canhave the actual approach on the MX20.

but you can go cheaper since the mx20 is such an awsome product, and get a small
cheaper ifr certified GPS, connect it to the MX20 and get the same information
that a 430 would supply to it. Having 2 GPS's is really nice, I have my 430 and
still use my handheld 295. But this is only a temp solution untill I get the MX20
installed (after I get my wife another horse)

"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote:

Thanks. Interesting. So, does one send the Garmin 430 GPS information
to the MX20 and have it displayed there? I would prefer to have one
integrated display of nav and weather information. If so, then it seems
that the garmin 430 display space is a waste of valuable panel
real-estate. If not, how are the two different displays used
differently? Seems like it adds to workload that way to have to monitor
2 screens.

On a separate note, what sort of weather modules exist to feed-into
these displays. I here they are available, but I can not find them on
the garmin website. I am looking to learn about 1 or 2 options of such
modules that uplink to satellites and download weather, and displays it
on the MFD. I would like to know ballpark cost of the module, panel
real estate requirements, and what the cost of a subscription would be.

-sami

Windecks wrote:

We have a Garmin 430 and an MX20 and they work really well together. The
terrain display on the MX20 is great, and the resolution on VFR and IFR
charts is sharp and the map's easily readable in direct sunlight. The MX20
is easy to use and configure, and really enhances the capabilities of the
430. I'd only go for a 530 if there wasn't enough space in the panel.
Never seen a CNX80 in action, but it sounds like an enhanced 430. Still,
UPSAT (and now, of course, Garmin) has been marketing the CNX80/MX20 combo.
Go figure, they want to sell 2 boxes instead of 1!!

"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote in message

In an article at http://avionicswest.com/archive/shootout.htm#2003 about
Garmin 530 vs CNX-80, many of the pilots said that they would want a
combination of a Garmin 530 AND an MX20. I do not understand. Isn't
the Garmin 530 also an MFD capable of displaying multiple inputs, like
weather and terrain? Can someone tell me why both might be desirable?
Does anyone have experience with an MX20?

-Sami

Old November 25th 03, 03:30 AM
O. Sami Saydjari

I read the that garmin 530 anticipates the COM frequencies you need and
loads them into an internal Com radio. That is a really nice feature.
Does the Garmin 430 do this? Or can the 430 combination accomplish the
same thing by interfacing to standard radios?

Old November 25th 03, 03:57 AM
O. Sami Saydjari

Any ideas when this much-discussed WAAS upgrade is coming for the
Garmins? Are we talking 30 days away, or more like 30 months. If one
is considering upgrading avionics right now, and if the WAAS upgrade is
happening soon, it seems it would pay to wait until the garmin are
shipped with integrated WAAS capability so you do not have to pay for
removing the device, upgrading it, and such. Anyone know the plan here?
-Sami

Jeff wrote:

Sami,
have you had a chance to see a MX20 working in an airplane?
There are MFD's and then there is the MX20.
Awsome resolution. The garmin 530 is not a real MFD, you can get a module to
display weather, it can display traffic using the garmin 330 transponder,
but the MX20 displays what you see on a sectional, with probably better
detail. It can also display approach charts and a variety of other things.
The MX20 is not a GPS, it needs a GPS like a 430/530 or CNX-80 connected to
it. But it can do everything else. the color and detail on the mx20 is
awsome.

Jeff
http://www.turboarrow3.com

Old November 25th 03, 01:18 PM

"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote:

I read the that garmin 530 anticipates the COM frequencies you need and
loads them into an internal Com radio. That is a really nice feature.
Does the Garmin 430 do this? Or can the 430 combination accomplish the
same thing by interfacing to standard radios?

It's smart. ;-) It knows where you are and it knows your destination and it knows the
frequencies of those places.

Old November 25th 03, 01:33 PM
Tom Fleischman

In article , O. Sami Saydjari
wrote:

Thanks. Looks like the subscription service is pretty reasonable.

Jeff, Is there a limit to which GPS's will hook into a MX20? For
example, the plane I am considering buying as an Apollo GX-50 GPS. Will
that interface to the MX20? That would be awesome!

-Sami

It *is* awesome. I did my IR training in the club's Archer which is
equipped with an approach-approved GX-60 (the GPS/COMM GX unit) and an
MX-20. The GX-50 will interface just fine. It's a wonderful
combination, especially when combined with an SL-30 as a second
Nav/Comm.
Old November 25th 03, 02:43 PM
Dave Butler

O. Sami Saydjari wrote:
Any ideas when this much-discussed WAAS upgrade is coming for the
Garmins? Are we talking 30 days away, or more like 30 months. If one
is considering upgrading avionics right now, and if the WAAS upgrade is
happening soon, it seems it would pay to wait until the garmin are
shipped with integrated WAAS capability so you do not have to pay for
removing the device, upgrading it, and such. Anyone know the plan here?

http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/aviation/060403.html

Remove SHIRT to reply directly.
Dave

Old November 25th 03, 08:16 PM
Windecks

The reader's digest version of why we chose the 430:
It fits, is not that much more expensive, works well with the MX20, has a
superior user interface, and the display is very handy when used for
setup/lookup tasks. The map is redundant, and includes incremental info not
found on the MX20.

Unabridged version:
The Garmin NAV info is sent to the MX20, where it is combined with terrain,
weather and chart databases contained in the MX20. It's true that you can
put in a cheaper (and smaller) IFR GPS to interface with the MX20, but we
chose to go with the 430 for the following reasons:

- Combined with a SL30 Nav/Com, XPNDR, audio controller/Marker Beacon, the
430 and MX20 all fit in a single stack in our panel
- Subjective preference for 430 user interface over King KLNs, UPSAT MXs and
others
- 430 map page has better ID for roads, bodies of water etc. than MX20
- $$$ difference not all that great between 430 and others, if you consider
installation and certification costs

90+% of the time I use the combination of MX20 moving map+terrain+NAV
overlay with the 430 CDI page, yielding awesome SA for both VFR and IFR.
Our Sandel EHSI also displays the GPS waypoint, flight plan, groundspeed as
well as standard HSI info. Since flying behind the MX20/430 combo, I
haven't unfolded a sectional, terminal or enroute chart while in the plane.
Except to ID roads and lakes (on long boring flights), the 430 map page
doesn't get used all that much. The display on the 430 works well for
looking up NRST data for position fixes, waypoint info, setting up
approaches, and other miscellaneous stuff. We don't have the weather input
installed, so can't help you there. I'm not sure if the TIS info from a
Garmin Mode S XPNDR (GTX330?) can be displayed on the MX20; that or perhaps
a TCAD input would be really nice.

Here's a link to the MX20 documentation:
http://www.garminat.com/mx_docs.shtml
(garminat.com is the website for the APOLLO products)