JU-87 with retractable undercarriage?

Old August 5th 04, 09:21 AM
Ragnar

Default JU-87 with retractable undercarriage?

"rb" wrote in message

Secondly, why wasn't the original JU-87 ever given retractable
undercarriage, it must have impinged on performance considerably?

Sure, it caused a lot of drag. I'd bet that it helped stabilized the
aircraft in a dive, though. And a stable dive-bombing platform is a good
thing.

Old August 5th 04, 11:07 AM
robert arndt

rb wrote in message ...
I believe that a later model of the Ju-87 was designed with retractable
undercarriage. Probably given a different model number as I think it
might have been a bigger aircraft. I don't believe it ever flew (having
been developed so late in the war). Anyone have any references?
Secondly, why wasn't the original JU-87 ever given retractable
undercarriage, it must have impinged on performance considerably?
cheers
rb

In 1941, work on improving the Ju-87 was started. The new model would
be the Ju-187 with rearward retractable gear, straight tapered wings,
and a 180 degree rotating tail unit that allowed the rear gunner an
unrestricted view for firing the auto-aiming twin MG-151 cannon
turret. Performance would increase in max speed from 186 mph to 242
mph and bombload now up to 4,409 lbs. One full scale mock-up was
completed before the RLM cancelled the project without reason in the
autumn of 1941.

Model:
http://www.hobbytek-idc.co.kr/m200/w...r2/ju187-1.jpg
Mock-up under construction:
http://www.hobbytek-idc.co.kr/m200/w...r2/ju187-3.jpg

Rob
Old August 5th 04, 11:32 AM
Keith Willshaw

"robert arndt" wrote in message
om...
rb wrote in message

[...]

I think the reasons were fairly obvious. The new aircraft was
still nowehere near fast enough and the increase in light flak
made dive bombing more hazardous than it had been
earlier in the war. The fighterbombers such as the FW-190F
promised to be a better solution.

Keith

Old August 5th 04, 04:47 PM
Hans-Joachim Maximilian

(robert arndt) wrote in message . com...
rb wrote in message ...
[...]

Whatever close support piston-engined dive bomber they created it had
to have near perfect fighter protection. The equation always mandated
that the dive-bombers have protection.

Against badly organized aviation the Germans could be threadbare in
their fighter provision for close support escort duties.

It will not work against even a small air force which has the capacity
to task fighters to specific high value targets of opportunity.
Old August 6th 04, 10:15 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Eunometic" wrote in message
om...

Sure if they managed to bounce the Ju 87 however late war Ju87's had
half the attrition rate of FW190s possibly becuase the rear crew
member provided a very effective lookout and some return fire abillity

More likely becausethey couldnt be used in high threat
environments. The Luftwaffe was forced to withdraw them
from the BOB in 1940 as they were being slaughtered .

but I admit because they were possibly escorted at a cost in
resources. If employed effectively on the frontline instead of deep
penetration with 'top cover' to plug tank break throughs and or to
destroy fortifications during an advance it was a very effective
aircraft able to deliver a 1500kg bomb within meters of a target or
capable of penetrating 110mm to 140mm armour using 30mm or 37mm canon
that was far more accurate than rocket firing aircraft.

True on the eastern front where the Soviets were unable
to provide the sort of air umbrella that was available in the
West from 1943 onwards. In the west JU-87's were unable
to make any real contribution from 1943 onwards.

The need for the Ju87 was reduced because first of all the Luftwaffe
achieved a great improvement in accuracy in 1942 With the introduction
of the German gyroscopic reflector bombsight Lotfernrohr Lotfe 7 H,
which automatically calculated drift during high-altitude horizontal
bombing. Soviet bombers were outfitted with similar bombsights —
OPB-1M or OPB-2M for daylight bombing, and NKPB-3, NKPB-4, or NKPB-7
for nocturnal missions.

Trouble is the USAAF found with the Nordern in Europe you often
cant see the ground from high altitude let along targets on it.
Then there's the minor problem that vehicles and tanks can
move a long way while the bombs are in the air.

The Stuvi computing dive bombing site made accurate delivery in 22
degree dives possible with the aircraft descending from 8000ft to
5000ft at 400mph in a Ju88A thus a full 90 degree vertical screamer
such as the Ju87 was not so important anymore. (A late war Ju88S
could manage nearly 400mph in level flight)

Which was achieved by REMOVING much of its defensive
armament and the external bomb rack fittings.

The Ju 187/287 would have been defended by 2 x 13.1mm and highvelocity
1 x 15mm canon in a remote controlled barbette with a tailplane the
rotated out of the gunners field of fire and view so it would have had
a powerfull counterpunch.

http://www.luft46.com/junkers/ju187.html

It may have done a lot for the crews morale but it was
a pretty feeble armament compared with that carried
by any US medium or heavy bomber. It wouldnt have helped
much against a slashing high speed pass by a P-51 or
Spitfire IX.

Clearly it wasn't worth pursuing but the Stormovik/Stuka concept since
the allied air superiority was so great the concept lives on in
aircraft such as the Fairchild A10 Warthog.

But only where air superiority can be assured and even then
standoff weapons are increasingly required.

It seems to me that allied aircraft destroyed German logistics and
light armour with heavy machine guns and light cannon. The rockets
were inaccurate and often missed the tanks however a panther or tiger
tank runs out of fuel pretty quick and it was hardly necessary to
destroy them.

Indeed but those aircraft could defend themselves quite well
when it was required and were capable of 350 mph +
This is a quite different situation than that faced by a JU-87
pilot in 1944/5.

Keith

Old August 6th 04, 02:59 PM
Guy Alcala

Keith Willshaw wrote:

"Eunometic" wrote in message
om...

Sure if they managed to bounce the Ju 87 however late war Ju87's had
half the attrition rate of FW190s possibly becuase the rear crew
member provided a very effective lookout and some return fire abillity

More likely becausethey couldnt be used in high threat
environments. The Luftwaffe was forced to withdraw them
from the BOB in 1940 as they were being slaughtered .

snip

To be more precise, they withdrew them so that they would be available to
support the invasion. "Slaughtered" is an over-used and inaccurate term,
and RAF Ju-87 kill claims during the BoB, while heavy, were very
exaggerated. But the point is, any a/c carrying bombs has to operate in an
environment of air superiority if it's to keep the loss rate acceptable over
the long term, unless its performance is such that it's impossible (or
nearly so) to intercept. That holds true for fighter-bombers as well as
anything else. Sure, the Jabos can jettison, but at that point they're no
longer fighter-bombers, just fighters who's primary mission has been aborted
by the defenses.

Guy

Old August 7th 04, 12:39 PM
The Enlightenment

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message
om...
"The Enlightenment" wrote in message

"robert arndt" wrote in message
om...

Hans Rudel had fun too IN the Ju-87:

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/gen9.htm

I ready his book:- a good read. The determination of the man has to be
admired. When he gets his legs amputated and goes of and flies

missions
with the stumps still bleeding I thought it was a bit much.

How did he coordinate his turns?

He had temporary artificial tin legs. I don't think he could even walk in
them. As I recall he took of within 2 weeks of the amuputation and flew at
least 15 missions and shot up quite a few tanks. (I think his total was
about 500 tanks). He was a one man heavy bomber squadran.

Old August 16th 04, 05:19 AM
Bill Shatzer

ArtKramr ) writes:

Good thing they never made the JU 187.From what my fighter friends tell me the
JU-87 was a lot of fun to shoot down.

Did American fighters ever face the Ju87?

Apart from North Africa and some limited use in Italy as night
harassment bombers, I had thought the Ju87s were restricted to
the Eastern Front and anti-partisan activities in the Balkans post-
1942.

Certainly not an aircraft the 8th or 9th AF would encounter at all
frequently.

Cheers and all,
--

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old August 16th 04, 08:20 AM
Guy Alcala

Bill Shatzer wrote:

ArtKramr ) writes:

Good thing they never made the JU 187.From what my fighter friends tell me the
JU-87 was a lot of fun to shoot down.

Did American fighters ever face the Ju87?

snip

In North Africa and the MTO, sure. US/USAAF pilots flying P-38/39/40/Spitfires and
maybe A-36s could/did encounter them. Like any attack a/c the Stuka needed to
operate in an environment of air superiority if it weren't to suffer unsustainable
losses. Although well armored, it was too slow and underarmed to have any chance
against a fighter, barring a lucky shot.

Guy