Division of duties on an airliner

Old January 10th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

Default Division of duties on an airliner

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:
Kev writes:

He pointed you at the topic (CRM) that you should be Googling.

CRM does not answer my question. CRM does not address the technical
details of flying the aircraft or specific duties; it addresses the
social aspects of crew interaction, which is an entirely different
domain.

CRM is exactly, 100% what you asked about. The Wiki link I gave you included
several links including a very good one from the UK CAA. By giving you a
link I also gave you the phrase that you could Google for even more
information.

Why do you people treat this juvenile as if it's contributing anything
worthwhile.?
Especially when it ignores the offered URLs
If it wants to learn to fly real aeroplanes there are a surfeit of Aero
Clubs, Flying Schools, Gliding Clubs, Microlite Associations and other
such out there at its nearest airport who will gladly take its money
and train it in the arcane art of the real time pilot...
of course he'll have to get used to things like turbulence (you don't
get a ****load of rotor in a bedroom) and the odd moments of excitement
that flying can have .

Old January 10th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Buck Murdock

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

I don't think active flight crews have the free time to read/post.

They don't work any more than other types of occupations do.

You'd be surprised. A pilot is typically paid for about 18 hours during
an average week, yet often works double that.

Indeed, flight crews have strict legal limitations on their working hours.

No, they have strict legal limits on their *flying* hours, and minimums
on their rest inbetween workdays. That's it. In the US, for example I
can work six 16-hour days in a row, have 24 hours off, and do it all
over again. Provided each 24-hour period includes less than 8 hours of
actually driving the airplane, this is perfectly legal.

Prepping the plane, waiting for fueling and deicing, ground delays,
transferring between planes, sitting on the ground for hours between
flights because of poor scheduling -- all of that is work, none of it is
paid at many airlines, and it doesn't count against the limits on flying
hours.

I'll grant that they may simply not be interested.

We're out here, and we're interested. But frankly, you're so absurdly
combative and unreceptive to people who DO KNOW the answers to your
questions, that I don't think any of us really have any interest left in
educating someone who doesn't want to learn. I know I don't.

When you do something for a living, it can become much
less interesting than it is when you do it only as a hobby.

What you do for a hobby isn't remotely the same as what I do for a
living.
Old January 10th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Buck Murdock

In article ,
Buck Murdock wrote:

You'd be surprised. A pilot is typically paid for about 18 hours during
an average week, yet often works double that.

....finishing my thought: And this doesn't compensate for the
hundred-plus nights in hotels, while "normal people" are home in their
own beds. Yes, it's part of the job, but it's PART OF THE JOB, if you
see what I'm getting at. They're hardly luxury palaces, even at the
majors.
Old January 10th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chris

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
Mxsmanic wrote:
Kev writes:

He pointed you at the topic (CRM) that you should be Googling.

CRM does not answer my question. CRM does not address the technical
details of flying the aircraft or specific duties; it addresses the
social aspects of crew interaction, which is an entirely different
domain.

CRM is exactly, 100% what you asked about. The Wiki link I gave you
included several links including a very good one from the UK CAA. By
giving you a link I also gave you the phrase that you could Google for
even more information.

In fact much of the Wikipedia article is taken from the CAA document and in
fact does mention the social aspects of CRM

Old January 10th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

george wrote:
Why do you people treat this juvenile as if it's contributing anything

worthwhile.?

Considering your Google profile, and the places and things you post,
that's like calling the kettle black, don't you think?

I've only answered him directly myself perhaps thrice in two months.
If I think an answer might sound interesting to others, I'll post it.
If Mx himself doesn't get the concept within a few replies, then I
don't waste extra effort on it, or on making the really nasty replies
that others here constantly repeat until we're all sick of them.

I mean, really, do you think anyone sounds smarter by calling him names
over and over again, or that it'll make him go away? The effect seems
quite the opposite. If you're going to respond at all, just give him
(and thus, everyone else) your best shot. If it doesn't work, don't
waste time getting worked up over it. It's really not difficult to do
if you also have an outside life ;-)

Kev

Old January 10th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Mxsmanic wrote:
Kev writes:

He pointed you at the topic (CRM) that you should be Googling.

CRM does not answer my question. CRM does not address the technical
details of flying the aircraft or specific duties; it addresses the
social aspects of crew interaction, which is an entirely different
domain.

CRM is exactly, 100% what you asked about. The Wiki link I gave you
included several links including a very good one from the UK CAA. By
giving you a link I also gave you the phrase that you could Google
for even more information.

In fact much of the Wikipedia article is taken from the CAA document
and in fact does mention the social aspects of CRM

I didn't say it didn't mention social aspects. The social aspects are a part
of CRM. But look what Anthony wrote, "CRM does not answer my question." CRM
is exactly what he asked about.

Old January 10th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

Kev wrote:

george wrote:
Why do you people treat this juvenile as if it's contributing anything

worthwhile.?

Considering your Google profile, and the places and things you post,
that's like calling the kettle black, don't you think?

What?
That I try to inject a little reality into the world of kooks ?
One answers silly claims under their subject line..

If he wants to learn how to fly real aeroplanes why isn't he at his
local airfield instead playing computor games and posting here ?

Old January 10th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gig 601XL Builder writes:

I didn't say it didn't mention social aspects. The social aspects are a part
of CRM. But look what Anthony wrote, "CRM does not answer my question." CRM
is exactly what he asked about.

No, CRM does not address my question at all. Nobody has thus far.

Old January 10th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

george wrote:
If he wants to learn how to fly real aeroplanes why isn't he at his
local airfield instead playing computor games and posting here ?

It doesn't matter to me. There are lots of people who fly sims because
they can't afford flying or are actually scared of real flight.

His responses shouldn't matter either. It's not like any one of us
invented flying and have to defend the physics personally grin.

As I keep saying, there are also plenty of people who get into
ridiculous discussions on military topics, yet they've never been, nor
ever will be, in uniform. Others opine on engineering topics, yet are
not engineers. And so forth. It doesn't stop them from making
remarks here that sound just as silly to those in the know.

Big whoop.

Kev

Old January 10th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Mxsmanic wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder writes:

I didn't say it didn't mention social aspects. The social aspects
are a part of CRM. But look what Anthony wrote, "CRM does not answer
my question." CRM is exactly what he asked about.

No, CRM does not address my question at all. Nobody has thus far.

CRM does address it in the only way that can it can be answered. United
Airlines is going to have a different answer than American Airlines and they
are both going to have a different answer than Jay and his wife have figured
out for Atlas.

But I know you aren't going to like that answer so I gave you the
information you needed to go research it yourself.