Division of duties on an airliner

Old January 10th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chris

Default Division of duties on an airliner

"Buck Murdock" wrote in message
In article ,
Buck Murdock wrote:

You'd be surprised. A pilot is typically paid for about 18 hours during
an average week, yet often works double that.

...finishing my thought: And this doesn't compensate for the
hundred-plus nights in hotels, while "normal people" are home in their
own beds. Yes, it's part of the job, but it's PART OF THE JOB, if you
see what I'm getting at. They're hardly luxury palaces, even at the
majors.

Its interesting. The major low cost carriers in Europe have developed
business models where they have a number of bases with the aim that crews
get to their own homes after each duty session. As well as cutting out the
costs of paying for accommodation, crews are in better shape from having a
stable home life.

Old January 10th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chris

"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...

george wrote:
If he wants to learn how to fly real aeroplanes why isn't he at his
local airfield instead playing computor games and posting here ?

It doesn't matter to me. There are lots of people who fly sims because
they can't afford flying or are actually scared of real flight.

His responses shouldn't matter either. It's not like any one of us
invented flying and have to defend the physics personally grin.

I know the physics, I understand the physics but I still think that getting
250 tonnes up in the air is magic. I also want to believe in Father
Christmas too

Old January 10th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gig 601XL Builder writes:

CRM does address it in the only way that can it can be answered.

CRM addresses the social aspects of crew interaction; it does not
address the technical aspects. It is intended to reduce the number of
errors that are made because of conflicts among crew members.
However, the division of technical duties is a different issue.
Someone flies the plane. Someone adjusts the radios. Someone holds
the yoke. And so on. CRM doesn't address this, and this division of
labor predates CRM substantially. Furthermore, CRM is mostly an
American phenomenon, whereas the division of duties exists everywhere
where the aircraft are flown.

Old January 10th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Buck Murdock

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

CRM does address it in the only way that can it can be answered.

CRM addresses the social aspects of crew interaction; it does not
address the technical aspects.

Wrong.

It is intended to reduce the number of
errors that are made because of conflicts among crew members.

Again, wrong.

However, the division of technical duties is a different issue.

No, it isn't.

Furthermore, CRM is mostly an American phenomenon

Not so much "American" as "Western." And the safety record that goes
along with it speaks for itself.

whereas the division of duties exists everywhere
where the aircraft are flown.

No, it really doesn't. Every company does it differently; even those
operators who seem to crash a 737 in Africa damn near every month.
Old January 10th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Mxsmanic wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder writes:

I didn't say it didn't mention social aspects. The social aspects are a part
of CRM. But look what Anthony wrote, "CRM does not answer my question." CRM
is exactly what he asked about.

No, CRM does not address my question at all. Nobody has thus far.

Read further. CRM is what you are asking about. Even on instructional
flights we are required to use CRM, because the examiner is required to
test the applicant on it. The possitive exchange of flight controls in
spelled out specifically in the PTS.

-Robert

Old January 10th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

Chris wrote:

"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...

george wrote:
If he wants to learn how to fly real aeroplanes why isn't he at his
local airfield instead playing computor games and posting here ?

It doesn't matter to me. There are lots of people who fly sims because
they can't afford flying or are actually scared of real flight.

His responses shouldn't matter either. It's not like any one of us
invented flying and have to defend the physics personally grin.

I know the physics, I understand the physics but I still think that getting
250 tonnes up in the air is magic. I also want to believe in Father
Christmas too

Think lift pixies. I don't know who first mentioned them here some
years ago but I go for the lift pixies :-)

Old January 10th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Michael Nouak

What you're looking for is called Multi-Crew Co-Operation, MCC in short.
This goes for everyone else who has so far responded in this thread. MCC and
CRM are not the same.

There are books on MCC and I won't write a new one here. You might want to
start your own research he

http://www.massey.ac.nz/~bffrey/1903...perations).pdf

BTW, CRM is not an American nor a Western phenomenon. It is a phenomenon
common to all half-decent airlines with a half-decent training department.

HTH

--
Michael Nouak
remove "nospamfor" to reply:

"Mxsmanic" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On large commercial airliners with required two-person crews, how are
duties usually divided between the captain and the first officer? Are
there specific rules, or are there simply standard conventions, or
does it vary by airline/pilot, or what? Who flies the airplane at
which time, and what does the non-flying pilot do during those times?

Old January 10th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gpsman

Mxsmanic wrote:
On large commercial airliners with required two-person crews, how are
duties usually divided between the captain and the first officer? Are
there specific rules, or are there simply standard conventions, or
does it vary by airline/pilot, or what? Who flies the airplane at
which time,

As directed by the Captain. "Typically" one flies the plane and works
the throttle, the other watches the instruments and calls out the V
speeds for rotate, gear, flaps, etc. and clears the operation of same
with the Captain, if they are not the Captain. The Captain may allow
the FO to act as PIC, but is ultimately responsible for all aspects of
operation.

Part of the job of being a Captain is to groom FOs for Captain, so
there is no "standard" by which all airlines or crews operate, except
according to the manufacturer's POH.

and what does the non-flying pilot do during those times?

Makes airplane noises.
-----

- gpsman

Old January 11th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt.Doug

"Chris" wrote in message
Its interesting. The major low cost carriers in Europe have developed
business models where they have a number of bases with the aim that crews
get to their own homes after each duty session. As well as cutting out the
costs of paying for accommodation, crews are in better shape from having a
stable home life.

How many of those pilots actually live in those bases? Just like in the US,
many pilots commute to their assigned base. The end result is that they are
in a crashpad talking to their families on the phone during trip sequences.
The crews don't neccessarily have a more stable home life. Think about this-
How stable is family life when the pilot has to move his family every time
his base is reassigned? When will European airlines extend the professional
courtesy of allowing off-line pilots to jumpseat? That would be about the
pilots instead of the bottom line.

D.

Old January 11th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt.Doug

"Newps" wrote in message Are you kidding? A pilot for a major has
nothing but free time.

Ask an airline pilot's young kids how much they miss Daddy.

Air traffic controllers, OTOH, have nothing but free time.

D.