An Open Apology to R.A.P.

Old February 13th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Default An Open Apology to R.A.P.

On 2/13/2007 4:31:00 PM, "Steve Foley" wrote:

I actually have Outlook Express doing that. His posts, responses to him, and
posting and below.

Unfortunately, that leaves little to read, so little reason to check in.

Ah, OK. I have a similar filter but I find it does leave enough content to
check in once a day. I am seeing, though, that there are many long-time
regulars no longer here, though. Their input is sorely missed by this pilot.

--
Peter
Old February 13th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Hell, anyone with any social interaction will
find annoying characters in face-to-face encounters. At least in real life
they have to go home (unless the person annoying you is the bartender or
barber - then you go home or find a new place to socialize).

Maybe that's why I don't find MX so bothersome -- I deal with every
possible aspect of humanity, from the poorest of the poor, to the
wealthiest of the rich, every single day. I did it for years in
newspapers, and I've done it for almost five years in the hotel.

We all know the world is full of idiots -- but it's also full of
wonderful people. I started enjoying life a lot more when I realized
that often they were the same people -- it's just up to us to see
it.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm no pollyanna. I've physically escorted some
very annoying people from the hotel, and I won't hesitate to charge
someone for damaging my towels. But I will also listen to almost any
story you want to tell me, and will welcome any suggestion you'd like
to make, or input you may have. It's called being nice, and I guess
those of us who were raised in the Midwest are just that way.

There are so many more truly annoying people -- here, and in the real
world -- that I honestly wouldn't have noticed MX, were it not for all
the hoopla about him. IMHO, he is just a lonely guy sitting 10,000
miles away, conversing about flying. If you don't like him, fine, but
to make a big deal out of him is just...silly.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 13th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Steve Foley wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

MX isn't a bad sort, and he *is* trying to discuss aviation.

When you post your Pre-Oshkosh schedule, please do so in a new thread, so my
filter won't ignore it. If you post in a thread he's touched, I'll never see
it.

I'm never going to see it even if MX hasn't touched it. I've had enough of his
defending this loser. Obviously, he's lacking the ability to think critically.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old February 13th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

The interesting part is that you are the sole example that I can think of
who could be hurt financially from the death of this group. You've managed
to promote your business along with contributing to this group. I have no
idea how much business is generated through usenet (I suspect not much), but
I doubt you'll get any in 2008 if things continue as they have.

In case you haven't noticed, Steve, I'm not the sort that cares about
stuff like that. I post what I want to post here, usually with my
tongue firmly in cheek (and a thick skin), and I don't worry too much
about the fallout. Shoot, if we relied on Usenet for business, we
wouldn't have lasted 5 weeks, let alone 5 years!

Although I respect the views that are expressed here, and often seek
feedback for changes we're contemplating at the hotel, I'm afraid
losing rec.aviation would do grave harm my psyche, not my checkbook.

But I don't think we have to worry about that happening any time
soon. I've seen this group rocked by some pretty aggravating people,
over the years. Usenet is pretty sturdy!

When you post your Pre-Oshkosh schedule, please do so in a new thread, so my
filter won't ignore it. If you post in a thread he's touched, I'll never see
it.

Already did! The Pre-Oshkosh Pool Party is July 21st. We then all
fly into OSH on July 22nd. It'll be one for the books, I tell ya, and
hopefully we won't have to hold around Rush Lake for two hours
again...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 14th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Buck Murdock

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

There are so many more truly annoying people -- here, and in the real
world -- that I honestly wouldn't have noticed MX, were it not for all
the hoopla about him.

He's posted over FIFTEEN THOUSAND messages since June of 2005, the bulk
of them directed at the aviation newsgroups in the past year. Look up
his profile on Google Groups; it's enlightening.

If you don't like him, fine, but
to make a big deal out of him is just...silly.

Let's put it in terms you're closer to: I've never run a hotel, but I
watched a lot of Newhart and Fawlty Towers years ago, and I played
SimCity, too. I'm going to have a discussion with you--a professional
hotel manager--about running a hotel. In that discussion, I'm going to
argue with you about EVERY SINGLE THING YOU SAY, because what you say
isn't how they did it on Newhart, and my other research backs me up.

That's what this guy's doing to experienced pilots here. What you call
silly, I call trolling.
Old February 14th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_3_]

With you on this one Jay!

Dave

On 12 Feb 2007 18:26:21 -0800, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

I hope groups like GNAA and other troll organizations never catch wind
of this place. Trolling you people is like shooting fish in a barrel.
Mxsmaniac isn't even explicitly trolling, for christ sake. He's just
trying to discuss.

Bull****.

You know, you guys really need to lighten up. Remember when Skylune
was flying off in every direction, hot and heavy? People were beside
themselves trying to shut him down, and keep him quiet.

I took another tack, and engaged with him. We talked politics, he
opened up and started talking about his days when he took flight
lessons. He turned out to be an okay guy, just ****ed off at some
doofus who kept over-flying his house. He's now a regular here, and
often contributes valuable input to this group.

MX isn't a bad sort, and he *is* trying to discuss aviation. He's
coming 'round to see that -- when posting on a pilot's group -- he has
to explicitly state that he's talking about sim experience. And he
has iniated some very interesting threads -- which is more than I can
say about a lot of the folks who are trash-talking him.

Diplomacy is the art of the possible. I suggest we all try it.

Old February 14th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_3_]

Ummm... help me here...

You apologise..

(Accepted, but I wish you to stay)

....then you repeat the "warning" that you apologise for posting many
times before?

Isn't that kind of like... SLAP!..."oh I'm sorry"....SLAP! .. again?

Dave

(NOT and MX "fan" , nor a "fan" of anyone in particular, with my
"treasured status" (your terminology) very much intact... )

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 04:38:48 GMT, "Casey Wilson"
wrote:

I sat in the shadows for a long time attempting to ignore the resident
troll, hoping against all odds that he would go away. When I could no longer
restrain myself, I started feeding the troll against my better judgement.
It is apparent that I have done nothing constructive in that regard and,
in my attempts, have probably offended a number of you whom I consider to be
excellent aviators, if not going as far as alienating some of you as well.
I earned my PP ASEL in 1975 and have never stopped learning. Along the
way, I have written more than a few aviation related articles published in
both regional and national magazines. I've made my bones and I've earned my
airman's title and the right to comment on matters of aviation - when I have
something to contribute or need your learned experience. It simply galls me
that someone like Mxsmanic can violate our treasured status day in and day
out and continue to survive, even thrive.

I realized today that I have been recently scanning down through the
posts on R.A.P. not to learn something new, but instead to find out what
kind of spew the troll is serving up. I feel I owe the rest of my real
flying colleagues an apology. For that reason and that reason alone, I am
going to retire from the newsgroup. My biggest regret is that Msxmanic will
undoubtedly, in his maniacal way, gloat over having won.

With apologies and regrets,

Casey Wilson
PP ASEL
Freelance Writer
and Photographer

P.S. - Mxsmanic is NOT a pilot, has NEVER flown an aircraft and is NOT
qualified to
issue competent information regarding any aspect of the operation of any
aircraft.

Old February 14th 07, 11:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Buck Murdock writes:

He's posted over FIFTEEN THOUSAND messages since June of 2005 ...

Actually, just under 100,000 in all the years I've been using this pseudonym.

... the bulk of them directed at the aviation newsgroups in
the past year. Look up his profile on Google Groups; it's enlightening.

I did, and you're wrong.

I've actually posted a bit under 1200 messages to the rec.aviation.*
newsgroups, not the more than 7500 that you misleadingly claim.

If you're going to engage in personal attacks, I suggest that you make them
vague enough that they cannot be clearly contradicted by facts.

Old February 14th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS[_2_]

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote

I'm never going to see it even if MX hasn't touched it. I've had enough

of his
defending this loser. Obviously, he's lacking the ability to think

critically.

I don't think it's so much that as that there is no common point of
reference or understanding when it comes to Mx. Ask him for definitions of
things like what constitutes GA for example, and you will find that his
definition is completely different from anyone who actually flies.
Therefore, if you go into it assuming that he knows what he is actually
talking about, or you think you understand what he is asking, then you set
yourself up for miscommunication and the
endless-descending-spiral-into-oblivion-circular-logic discussion which is
so typical of the discussions that involve the guy.

I don't understand why so many people get so worked up about it - I just
consider the source, and I don't read what I'm not interested in. If some
people here want to spend the time trying to understand the guy and perhaps
help him, fine - why not?

As far as worrying about potential pilots getting bad information from him
is concerned, anyone who has spent more than 10 minutes on the internet
knows how much weight to put on the information that you find there.

BDS

Old February 14th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
"Al G" wrote:

I respectfully disagree. He isn't trying to discuss aviation. He asks a
seemingly reasonable question, gets an honest answer from someone who has
been there, and done it, and then flat out states that he knows the answer
is wrong. No discussion. No evidence to support his position. No reasons why
he feels everyone with experience is "lying" to him.

Since I have his original posts kill filed and I generally kill a thread
if his header preceeds a response, I have stopped following Anthony's
topics. I think Al has provided the best arguement for the trolling
arguement. It would be an interesting study to post Mx's initial
question and his successive responses to a given thread to show he is
indeed trolling.

Apology Curtis Simulators 0 October 20th 04 03:43 PM
Apology Curtis Rotorcraft 0 October 20th 04 03:43 PM
Apology Curtis Restoration 0 October 20th 04 03:42 PM
Apology Curtis Owning 0 October 20th 04 03:29 PM
Apology Curtis General Aviation 0 October 20th 04 03:28 PM