That "no-GUMP" Scratching Sound

Old February 20th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

Default That "no-GUMP" Scratching Sound

I hope to never hear this first-hand. Of course I've increased the
odds in my favor quite a bit by flying a fixed-gear aircraft.

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircra...ideo-7951.html

Enjoy, err, I mean cringe!

Marco

Old February 20th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 2/20/2007 4:10:33 PM, "Marco Leon" wrote:

I hope to never hear this first-hand. Of course I've increased the
odds in my favor quite a bit by flying a fixed-gear aircraft.

I cannot tell - Was this a pilot mistake or a gear failure?

--
Peter
Old February 20th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On Feb 20, 4:10 pm, "Marco Leon" wrote:
I hope to never hear this first-hand. Of course I've increased the
odds in my favor quite a bit by flying a fixed-gear aircraft.

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircra...ne_RG_II-Airli...

Enjoy, err, I mean cringe!

Marco

It brings back memories when I had to the same. Many years ago my
nose gear refused to lock down. What I vividly remember is the sound
of the prop hitting the ground. It was like a whip striking, nothing
like metal against rock. Since my rear wheels were ok, I did not hear
the same fuselage grinding sounds as in the video. Thanks for posting
the link.

Old February 20th 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Marco Leon" said:
I hope to never hear this first-hand. Of course I've increased the
odds in my favor quite a bit by flying a fixed-gear aircraft.

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircra...ideo-7951.html

So what's the story? It's pretty obvious from the alarms going off and
the way the camera goes to the side window just before touch down that
they knew the gear wasn't down, but why?

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
I use shell scripts at ork. Some cow-orkers refuse to touch them, their
Old February 20th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:38:00 -0500, "Peter R."
wrote:

On 2/20/2007 4:10:33 PM, "Marco Leon" wrote:

I hope to never hear this first-hand. Of course I've increased the
odds in my favor quite a bit by flying a fixed-gear aircraft.

I cannot tell - Was this a pilot mistake or a gear failure?

I'd have to go with failure. The gear horn was going off the whole
time, and the lack of reaction at touchdown lends me to lean towards
"they knew it was coming".
Old February 20th 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Marco Leon wrote:
Enjoy, err, I mean cringe!

I did. Cringe, that is....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old February 20th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Marco Leon" wrote:
I hope to never hear this first-hand. Of course I've increased the
odds in my favor quite a bit by flying a fixed-gear aircraft.

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircra...ideo-7951.html

Enjoy, err, I mean cringe!

Ick.

That's obscene.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old February 21st 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Marco Leon" wrote in message
ps.com...
I hope to never hear this first-hand. Of course I've increased the
odds in my favor quite a bit by flying a fixed-gear aircraft.

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircra...ideo-7951.html

Enjoy, err, I mean cringe!

Marco

I've heard that sound in person, at an airshow, no less.

SnF in 2002 a Mooney bellied in while we were watching arrivals. There was
a big x-wind that day and lots of pilots were having difficulty managing it.
My guess was that the pilot got all wrapped up in the Airshow arrival NOTAM
and in dealing with the x-wind and forgot his pre-landing checklist.

I was surprised at two things. First, it wasn't *that* loud. Second, the
airplane seemed to slide forever.

They came out with a crane, lifted the airplane, dropped the gear, and towed
the airplane to the campground. The pilot was a very good sport about it.
While the airplane was towed away, he rode on the wingwalk and waved at
everyone standing along the flightline.

I couldn't have done that...

KB

Old February 21st 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Buck Murdock

In article ,
Peter Clark wrote:

I'd have to go with failure. The gear horn was going off the whole
time, and the lack of reaction at touchdown lends me to lean towards
"they knew it was coming".

Don't be so sure. I've had both students and rental-checkouts continue
down final with the gear horn blaring, completely oblivious to it. It
boggles my mind, but I've seen it several times. It isn't until I ask,
"what does that horn mean?" that there's a dawning.

Scary.
Old February 21st 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

I'd have to go with failure. The gear horn was going off the whole
time, and the lack of reaction at touchdown lends me to lean towards
"they knew it was coming".

Don't be so sure. I've had both students and rental-checkouts continue
down final with the gear horn blaring, completely oblivious to it. It
boggles my mind, but I've seen it several times. It isn't until I ask,
"what does that horn mean?" that there's a dawning.

Scary.

I also presumed that it was a mechanical failure. However, the description
at the bottom of the page states that "...the pilot thought his gear was
down. ..." It also invites additional information, if known.