Division of duties on an airliner

Old January 10th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Division of duties on an airliner

On large commercial airliners with required two-person crews, how are
duties usually divided between the captain and the first officer? Are
there specific rules, or are there simply standard conventions, or
does it vary by airline/pilot, or what? Who flies the airplane at
which time, and what does the non-flying pilot do during those times?

Old January 10th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crew_Resource_Management

Old January 10th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gig 601XL Builder writes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crew_Resource_Management

That article does not answer my question.

Old January 10th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

Mxsmanic wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder writes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crew_Resource_Management

That article does not answer my question.

He pointed you at the topic (CRM) that you should be Googling.

Each airline has its own rules, which you'd also have to Google, assume
their manuals are somewhere online. (Sometimes airline training
students post information to help other students. This is called a
gouge. Search using stuff like "airline training gouges")

Otherwise, I don't think there's a lot of crew on this group. You
might be better off asking the question of the one or two who hang out
on the sim groups.

Kev

Old January 10th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Kev writes:

He pointed you at the topic (CRM) that you should be Googling.

CRM does not answer my question. CRM does not address the technical
details of flying the aircraft or specific duties; it addresses the
social aspects of crew interaction, which is an entirely different
domain.

Otherwise, I don't think there's a lot of crew on this group. You
might be better off asking the question of the one or two who hang out
on the sim groups.

I figured this group would have more airline pilots than the sim
group, but perhaps not.

Old January 10th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

Mxsmanic wrote:
I figured this group would have more airline pilots than the sim
group, but perhaps not.

I don't think active flight crews have the free time to read/post. The
sim groups have a couple of retired airline Captains, as you know, who
do have more time.

Your question encompasses a lot of subtopics, and is different for each
airline, which is why you're being pointed at Googling to find and read
related websites.

The general answer is common sense. While one person flies, the other
usually takes over the non-flying duties such as navigation, radio and
checklists.

Kev

Old January 10th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Mxsmanic wrote:
Kev writes:

He pointed you at the topic (CRM) that you should be Googling.

CRM does not answer my question. CRM does not address the technical
details of flying the aircraft or specific duties; it addresses the
social aspects of crew interaction, which is an entirely different
domain.

Social aspects? You completely, as usual, misunderstand a topic.

Old January 10th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Kev wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:

I figured this group would have more airline pilots than the sim
group, but perhaps not.

I don't think active flight crews have the free time to read/post.

Are you kidding? A pilot for a major has nothing but free time.

Old January 10th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Kev writes:

I don't think active flight crews have the free time to read/post.

They don't work any more than other types of occupations do. Indeed,
flight crews have strict legal limitations on their working hours.

I'll grant that they may simply not be interested. When you do
something for a living, it can become much less interesting than it is
when you do it only as a hobby.

The sim groups have a couple of retired airline Captains, as you know, who
do have more time.

I suppose I can repeat my question there.

The general answer is common sense. While one person flies, the other
usually takes over the non-flying duties such as navigation, radio and
checklists.

Yes, but who does what?

It's not a big deal; I was just curious, after watching a video of
cockpit operations.

Old January 10th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Mxsmanic wrote:
Kev writes:

He pointed you at the topic (CRM) that you should be Googling.

CRM does not answer my question. CRM does not address the technical
details of flying the aircraft or specific duties; it addresses the
social aspects of crew interaction, which is an entirely different
domain.

CRM is exactly, 100% what you asked about. The Wiki link I gave you included
several links including a very good one from the UK CAA. By giving you a
link I also gave you the phrase that you could Google for even more
information.