Are flight engineers qualified to fly?

Old January 21st 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Are flight engineers qualified to fly?

In older aircraft that require flight engineers, are these flight
engineers qualified to fly the aircraft in an emergency? If not, what
qualifications do they have? Do they have to be pilots (i.e.,
licensed)?

Old January 22nd 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Define "qualified".
Passed a check ride in the pilot seat of that aircraft? no, Maybe not
Normally you may have been a FE working towards that FO seat and then Capt.

Qualified to fly in other aircraft... most likely..
get this one down in a pinch if both pilots got sick? most likely

Do they "have" to be "licensed" pilots? no

BT

Old January 22nd 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Buck Murdock

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

In older aircraft that require flight engineers, are these flight
engineers qualified to fly the aircraft in an emergency? If not, what
qualifications do they have? Do they have to be pilots (i.e.,
licensed)?

Well, Mxsmanic, they're usually the most senior, most qualified member
of the crew. They're basically the "admiral" of the flight, so to
speak, and they're the top of the chain of command.

Pretty wild, eh?
Old January 22nd 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Casey Wilson

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 23:57:59 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

In older aircraft that require flight engineers, are these flight
engineers qualified to fly the aircraft in an emergency? If not, what
qualifications do they have? Do they have to be pilots (i.e.,
licensed)?

There is no regulatory requirement that they be pilots.

There used to be professional flight engineers that were not pilots.
As 3 seat airplanes phased out and pilots continued to retire at age
60 (FE's can fly till 65) most, if not all, FE's ended up being
retired captains.

Hmmm, on the other end of the age bracket is(was)n't there an age
requirement that the FE had to be 21 but the FO only had to be 18? I'm
harking back to the days when FE's were the norm aboard airliners.

Old January 22nd 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

In older aircraft that require flight engineers, are these flight
engineers qualified to fly the aircraft in an emergency? If not, what
qualifications do they have? Do they have to be pilots (i.e.,
licensed)?

In an emergency, does someone have to be a pilot to fly an aircraft?

Didn't you see "Snakes on a Plane?"

I figured that for your wildest fantasy!
Old January 22nd 07, 09:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

BT writes:

Define "qualified".

Well, legally allowed and/or actually able to fly the aircraft (i.e.,
having pilot training in the aircraft or something).

I guess the question is gradually becoming moot as aircraft with
flight engineers disappear. It looks like a rather dreary job,
although perhaps on early aircraft that were more finicky it wasn't.

Old January 22nd 07, 09:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Judah writes:

In an emergency, does someone have to be a pilot to fly an aircraft?

No, but some minimal level of competence is required, even if it is
only the ability to push buttons today.

Didn't you see "Snakes on a Plane?"

No.

Old January 22nd 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Didn't you see "Snakes on a Plane?"

No.

You should see it. You will especially enjoy the ending.
Old January 22nd 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mad8

Judah wrote:
Didn't you see "Snakes on a Plane?"

i wonder if his computer can simulate a snake attack...