Yikes, glad I don't have a Pegasus!

Old December 8th 05, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Yikes, glad I don't have a Pegasus!

Do I correctly understand the AD below to mean that any Pegasus in the
US with 3000 hours cannot be flown after January 6, 2006? Certainly
would have an effect of the market value of this glider, even one with
significantly less than 3000 hours. I notice that someone put one on
the market today on the SSA site at $15,000 (it has 3300 hours), which
seems somewhat high for glider that can only be flown for the next month.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...E?OpenDocument
Old December 8th 05, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Greg Arnold wrote:
Do I correctly understand the AD below to mean that any Pegasus in the
US with 3000 hours cannot be flown after January 6, 2006? Certainly
would have an effect of the market value of this glider, even one with
significantly less than 3000 hours. I notice that someone put one on
the market today on the SSA site at $15,000 (it has 3300 hours), which
seems somewhat high for glider that can only be flown for the next month.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...E?OpenDocument

Wow! A million dollars or so worth of gliders (51 ships times $20K
each) rendered (pun intended) nearly worthless at 3000 hours. FAA
estimates the cost per ship at $65. Instruments and various bits and
pieces will have some "scrap" value, but as ships are retired there will
be a glut of parts decreasing their value. :-(
Also, this was part of the AD:

"Comments

Was the public invited to comment? We provided the public the
opportunity to participate in developing this AD. We received no
comments on the proposal or on the determination of the cost to the
public."

I assume the reason *no one* commented, was because most owners heard
nothing??? Does the FAA notify owners of pending ADs (don't recall any
with my ship)? Perhaps the SSA should check periodically for such
things if they don't already.
Any recourse? Major Bummer if not.

Shawn
Old December 8th 05, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Apparently, the $65 dollar figure was for paying an
A&P the going rate at a metropolitan airport for a
minimum of 1 hour's work to make the pen and ink entry
into the maintenance manual.

I was considering recommending one of these gliders
to a student; too bad!

At 03:24 08 December 2005, Shawn wrote:
Greg Arnold wrote:
Do I correctly understand the AD below to mean that
any Pegasus in the
US with 3000 hours cannot be flown after January 6,
2006? Certainly
would have an effect of the market value of this glider,
even one with
significantly less than 3000 hours. I notice that
someone put one on
the market today on the SSA site at $15,000 (it has
3300 hours), which
seems somewhat high for glider that can only be flown
for the next month.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...ibrary/rgad.ns
f/0/29A8C5DEB81B323F862570BD005416CE?OpenDocument

Old December 8th 05, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I posted the following on July 14, also on gliderforum.com, I received
no replies and no replies to the thread. I presume the FAA recieved no
replies either.

1. jphoenix
Jul 14, 2:45 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: "jphoenix" - Find messages by this
author
Date: 14 Jul 2005 15:45:05 -0700
Subject: US Centrair Pegasus group?
| Remove | Report Abuse

Is there a US group/club/association, however loose, of Pegasus owners
out there somewhere? Reason for asking is the FAA is considering the
*possibility* of rulemaking regarding the 3000 hour life limit on the
aircraft and they're requesting input from interested parties prior to
the official rulemaking process.

I understand there will be a rulemaking comment period in the future
*if* the issue develops into an AD - their request for comments at this

time is a preliminary request from the FAA/Industry/Operators
Airworthiness Concern Coordination Group.

If there is a unified voice, or group of interested owners out there
somewhere (US only) send me a reply at , change

the netto to net to reply.

If you own, or know of, a US registered Pegasus over 3000 hours TT, let

me know.

Jim

2.
Jul 15, 8:39 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: - Find messages by this author
Date: 15 Jul 2005 09:39:39 -0700
| Report Abuse

Jim:

I know of no such organization; this Usenet group may be about as close

as it comes.

Generally, I don't have a problem with life limits if they can be tied
to genuine airworthiness concerns (as opposed to, for example, an
effort to tail product liability exposure -- not real likely here
because of GARA). 3000 hours is a lot of time. I suspect it won't be
easy to find a U.S. registered Pegasus anywhere near that range unless
it has spent a substantial chunk of its life in club or rental service.

(In fact, I wonder what the highest-time glass ship still in service in

the U.S. might be.)

I'll be interested to hear what you find out and what others think.

Mark -- B9

jphoenix wrote:

If there is a unified voice, or group of interested owners out there
somewhere (US only) send me a reply at , change
the netto to net to reply.

If you own, or know of, a US registered Pegasus over 3000 hours TT, let
me know.

Jim

3. jphoenix
Jul 15, 9:01 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: "jphoenix" - Find messages by this
author
Date: 15 Jul 2005 10:01:48 -0700
| Remove | Report Abuse

Your response is the first I've seen or received. The life limit
currently exists in the Flight Manual, however the FAA ACS sheet states

that there may be some misunderstanding about the life limit and they
may issue rulemaking to clarify (in other words mandate the life limit
with a US AD).

This is an opportunity for Pegasus owners to influence the creation of
the NPRM, if necessary, prior to the NPRM being issued. A description
of the ACS process can be found he

http://www.faa.gov/certification/air...ceACSGuide.doc

This process is followed for al AD's.

After the NPRM is published, another period for comment is afforded.
I'll post the issue on the gliderforum.com, I see there's a Pegasus
thread running there.

Jim

Jim

Old December 8th 05, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The FAA does notify the SSA of pending AD issues through the AACS
process. They receive an e-mail notification of each AD NPRM relating
to the type groups they suscribe to (such as gliders) from the AOPA -
as do I because I'm the type club representative to the AACS for the
1-26 Association. As a party to the AACS, I can see pre-NPRM issues for
all GA types, including gliders, towplanes, Malibus, etc.

The AACS process affords interested parties an opportunity to
participate in the AD rulemaking in advance of the AD NPRM process.

The AOPA is a key player and facilitator in the AACS.

Jim

Old December 8th 05, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Regarding the question about recourse - you may apply for an alternate
means of compliance or an adjustment to the compliance time (true for
any US AD) - however, you will have to develop, or provide, an
equivelant level of safety. The FAA guy listed at the bottom of the AD
can help you understand what this means and how to do it.

If you have a type club, or owners group, get in touch with the AOPA
and get on the AACS list.

Jim

Old December 8th 05, 11:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Looks like a good opertunity to me. The value goes down so its less
expensive to purchase. You buy a 1500 hour ship and its still a
lifetime of use for most pilots. As long as the insurance is not
effected by the AD it shouldn't matter too much.

FS: Pegasus [email protected] Soaring 1 October 4th 05 10:05 PM
US Centrair Pegasus group? jphoenix Soaring 2 July 15th 05 06:01 PM
Hinge pins for Pegasus AD tooromeo Soaring 0 May 17th 05 02:56 PM
Has anyone gotten a response from Centrair on Pegasus parts? tooromeo Soaring 23 May 11th 05 05:29 PM
Pegasus comparisons sought Ted Wagner Soaring 9 January 24th 04 04:36 AM