The Wind Rises - animated film about a Japanese airplane designer

Old April 27th 14, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default The Wind Rises - animated film about a Japanese airplane designer

I highly recommend this film to adult pilots and aircraft designers. It's not a kid's film. It is not a Pixar style film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imtdgdGOB6Q

The film is controversial. I looked into the controversy before I saw it.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/23/53...kis-final-film

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_Rises#Controversy
Old April 27th 14, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 05:03:28 -0700, son_of_flubber wrote:

I highly recommend this film to adult pilots and aircraft designers.
It's not a kid's film. It is not a Pixar style film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imtdgdGOB6Q

The film is controversial. I looked into the controversy before I saw
it.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/23/53...he-beauty-and-

controversy-of-miyazakis-final-film

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_Rises#Controversy

Thanks for the heads-up - I'd never heard of the film before this.

In a similar vein, I'd also thoroughly recommend reading "Samurai" by
Saburo Sakai (with help from Martin Caidin and Fred Saito). Its the only
book about the Pacific Air War by a Japanese pilot that I've seen. I
learned a lot from reading it.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old April 27th 14, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 4/27/2014 6:24 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 05:03:28 -0700, son_of_flubber wrote:

I highly recommend this film to adult pilots and aircraft designers.
It's not a kid's film. It is not a Pixar style film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imtdgdGOB6Q

The film is controversial. I looked into the controversy before I saw
it.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/23/53...he-beauty-and-

controversy-of-miyazakis-final-film

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_Rises#Controversy

Thanks for the heads-up - I'd never heard of the film before this.

In a similar vein, I'd also thoroughly recommend reading "Samurai" by
Saburo Sakai (with help from Martin Caidin and Fred Saito). Its the only
book about the Pacific Air War by a Japanese pilot that I've seen. I
learned a lot from reading it.

Jiro Horikoshi (Zero designer) and Masatake Okumiya (commander in most of the
sea-air Pacific battles) co-wrote - with Martin Caidin - Zero!, claimed (on my
1979 copy's cover) to be the first overall account from Japan's viewpoint of
the air war in the Pacific. Having been born after WW-II, I was spared its
deep emotional connections and trauma of the generations before me, but in the
1980s and 1990s I came across several older gentleman who vehemently refused
to purchase Mitsubishi cars, for what one of Mitsubishi's earlier creations
did to their friends and comrades in arms. I found nothing controversial about
their thinking.

As to the controversy of Miyazaki's film, quoting George Santayana: "Those who
cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it."

Now THERE"S a universal truth: try improving your soaring skills without
applying it! :-) (There! I managed to keep this post 'on group topic'!)

Bob W.
Old April 30th 14, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

I took my family and a friend to see this film during the SSA Convention in Reno. It was great to see a popular animated film, or any film for that matter, that explains and extols the virtues of the three things that made Richard Schreder's HP-series homebuilt sailplanes possible:

* The smooth surfaces made possible by flush riveting

* The exquisite luxury of extruded aluminum shapes

* NACA wing profiles with the graceful curves of mackerel bones

Not everything in the film was literally biographical or historically accurate. But I thought its liberties fell well within the realm allowed by poetic license.

Thanks, Bob K.