Air Sailing Regional Contest

Old July 17th 17, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

Default Air Sailing Regional Contest

Just returned from the Air Sailing Regional Contest and wanted to say THANKS to all that made it happen. First time at Air Sailing and the facilities, people etc are fantastic and should be on everyone's list of place to fly and visit.

The soaring conditions were challenging along with dealing with the TFR's and smoky conditions. JJ Sinclair did a great job forecasting the weather and setting tasks that got us around the restrictions.

The Air Force fleet was there and all pilots appeared to a good time and flew real well.

Anyone looking to flying a great area and low key, stress free regional competition should consider attending this annual event

Ron Gleason
Old July 18th 17, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 10:02:28 AM UTC-6, Ron Gleason wrote:
Just returned from the Air Sailing Regional Contest and wanted to say THANKS to all that made it happen. First time at Air Sailing and the facilities, people etc are fantastic and should be on everyone's list of place to fly and visit.

The soaring conditions were challenging along with dealing with the TFR's and smoky conditions. JJ Sinclair did a great job forecasting the weather and setting tasks that got us around the restrictions.

The Air Force fleet was there and all pilots appeared to a good time and flew real well.

Anyone looking to flying a great area and low key, stress free regional competition should consider attending this annual event

Ron Gleason

Like Ron I am a UT guy and have been to Air Sailing a few times. Low stress and casual (For a contest) is spot on. Plus, Soaring the Sierra Nevada's should be on everyone's list if you have never done it. Great people and a great (Although sometimes dusty) facility.
Old July 19th 17, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp

On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 9:02:28 AM UTC-7, Ron Gleason wrote:
Just returned from the Air Sailing Regional Contest and wanted to say THANKS to all that made it happen. First time at Air Sailing and the facilities, people etc are fantastic and should be on everyone's list of place to fly and visit.

The soaring conditions were challenging along with dealing with the TFR's and smoky conditions. JJ Sinclair did a great job forecasting the weather and setting tasks that got us around the restrictions.

The Air Force fleet was there and all pilots appeared to a good time and flew real well.

Anyone looking to flying a great area and low key, stress free regional competition should consider attending this annual event

Ron Gleason

Miss seeing JJ's name on the contestants list, glad to see he is still around

gkemp
Old July 19th 17, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Wednesday, 19 July 2017 06:46:31 UTC-6, gkemp wrote:
[...]

He and Pat were there. both looking great.
Old July 19th 17, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Air Sailing Sports Class is a low key fun contest, but with a couple of Medalions up for grabs the top half is always quite competitive! Along with normally outstanding sierra conditions it is a great place to get started in sailplane racing. Day 3 had 16k cu bases and everyone finished a 3 hour call including all 5 AFA ships. I'm impressed with the academy guys who have 3 years or less cross country experience. When I got started in soaring, I didn't come home on a regular basis for 10 years!
Come join us,
JJ
Old July 21st 17, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm impressed with the academy guys who have 3 years or less cross country experience. When I got started in soaring, I didn't come home on a regular basis for 10 years!
Come join us,
JJ

Thanks for prompting a memory, JJ (and I agree re AFA). I still remember my first finish--in a 1-26 at Richmond, IN, the former home of the Caesar Creek Soaring Club (nee Soaring Society of Dayton)--after years of DNFs. Probably around 1970. I was still a kid and tried to sound casual about it on the radio but it was a HUGE thrill!

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
Old July 21st 17, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

As I listened to the contestants call the finish circle, I remembered Charlie Spratt announcing, "Good finish Juliet, Juliet, good contest, John". I know this call is meaningless with the GPS finish circle, but I think I'm going to give a "good finish" call next time I'm a CD. It meant a lot to me, back in the day and bet it would mean a lot today.
JJ
Old July 21st 17, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

LOL.......I flew quite a few Spratt contests (Dansville, HHSC, Mifflin, maybe MASA)
Among the memorable was Dansville, NY 25 years ago or so.
I got stuck on course low in a valley between Dansville and Corning so no radio.
I got back up, did a finish.
Called 2 minutes out, got a reply.
Did a finish with a, "good finish UH" from Charlie.

Later, I found out the last contestant was accounted for 2 hours earlier, Charlie was in the hanger a couple beers in.
Likely never saw my finish which was well below the stall airspeed for the ASW-20 I was flying.
May have been the "T8" and soon to be fiancé contest..... another story.....

I believe my, "first contest finish" was a "little guys meet" in region 2 flying against Kochanski, P3, Schwartz, Green and others. Somewhere about 1980, maybe before. Flying 1-26 002 with mom crewing.
Yes, that first finish is really cool.

Next biggy was calling 2 minutes at HHSC with my wife with a young first kid. I stated, "ice the baby bottle". She met me on the runway with a baby bottle filled with cold beer.

Gotta love a supportive crew. Don't **** them off!