Fuel Truck

Old January 14th 04, 04:45 PM
Ron Natalie

"Dick Meade" wrote in message ...

Jet-A loves water and allows bacterial growth. Prist, in addition to being
an antifreeze, is an anti-bacterial.

Of course, Prist can no longer make this claim because the EPA has made it
commercially prohibitive to certify something as a pesticide. It's officially
an anti-icing additive...if you no longer have to worry about crud growing in
your fuel, all the better.

While bacteria will grow in the fuel, it's actually fungus (Hormoconis Resinae)
that's the real problem. It's not just the water but the fact that this bugger likes
to eat the fuel. The bacteria tends to stay with the water and thus is removed
by the normal water traps...and filling up with fresh fuel alleviates the problem.
The fungus likes to hang out on the surfaces in your tank and you'll continue
to have an infestation until you actively put something in to kill it.

Old January 14th 04, 05:30 PM
Mike Rapoport

Thanks, I was aware of most of these issues but not the containment one. I
agree that the best approach is to lease or donate the truck in return for
low cost fuel. I am also considering a fixed site system but then I would
need to buy the land and pay property taxes on it forever as well as
maintain the system.

Mike
MU-2

"Dick Meade" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
nk.net...

The truck would be stored outside on a hanger apron.

Mike,

I believe that EPA has or is in the process of mandating containment for
mobile refuelers. A few other points to consider:

Jet-A loves water and allows bacterial growth. Prist, in addition to

being
an antifreeze, is an anti-bacterial. Jet in storage needs to be

circulated
to keep the Prist properly mixed. Additionally, there are fairly rigid
standards regarding filtration of Jet fuel. These standards are insurance
driven, which brings up another point. If your FBO's arrangement is
typical, they carry liability insurance for the first part of a claim.
Excess liability coverage is provided by the fuel supplier. This coverage
is contingent on the proper storage and conditioning of the fuel. Ours
refused to sell us fuel unless the system met their standards. Look at

the
Jet fuel system sometime. Note the filters and valving. It is set up to

be
able to circulate and filter the fuel in the tank. As the fuel is
off-loaded from the delivery truck, it is filtered. As it is delivered

into
your plane, it is also filtered. Any tanker that stores fuel should have
the same capability.

The tanker will also have to be epoxy coated in the inside to prevent

rust.
If you buy a jet refueler, it should already be set up correctly with

epoxy
and filtration, but that should be verified. Your FBO's fuel supplier
should be happy to explain their requirements for fuel handling. You
probably would want to "donate" the truck to the FBO in return for low

fuel
rates, just to avoid the hassles and potential liability. Alternatively,

variation on the "Mighty Grape" might better fit your needs, even if it

took
a couple of trips to fuel the plane.

I had to research this 3 years ago when the company I work for bought a
Citation Bravo. We ultimately abandoned the refueler idea, and opted to

buy
a 10,000 gallon Jet system, which we donated to the city. In return, we

buy
fuel at a deep discount for a specific length of time. Avgas systems are
dirt simple in comparison.

If you're still looking at refuelers, Aero-Trader has a 2,000 gallon truck
in the current issue. 817 area code puts it in the Ft. Worth area.

Hope this is helpful,

Dick Meade

Old January 15th 04, 01:16 AM
rip

I've got two trucks you can have for a song. Seriously. E-mail me if
interested (remove nospam, of course).
Rip

Mike Rapoport wrote:
I would like to buy a fuel truck! 5,000 to 10,000 gallon preferred. I have
been watching ebay and rbauction.com and I was wondering if anyone knew of
other sources? How can I find out if the government is selling one?
Thanks!

Mike
MU-2

spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
Jet A / JP-4 ?? CVBreard General Aviation 7 December 8th 03 03:44 PM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
Pumping fuel backwards through an electric fuel pump Greg Reid Home Built 15 October 7th 03 07:09 PM
C210 fuel tank vents Eric Brown Owning 2 September 27th 03 02:59 AM