Trig TT21 Transponder ... reports?

Old August 10th 10, 06:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

Default Trig TT21 Transponder ... reports?

On Aug 9, 9:05*pm, Mike Schumann
wrote:
On 8/9/2010 9:19 PM, brian whatcott wrote:

On 8/9/2010 5:07 PM, flyingmr2 wrote:
/snip/ Please, everyone stay safe and no
more crashing! If we have another fatality in the west anytime soon,
my wife might pull the plug on her support for this hobby./snip/
Please fly
safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One way to fly safe - er, is to avoid being in the vicinity of other
aircraft. Easy for me to say! That might mean no contests?

Brian W

Given the current turmoil with ADS-B vs. Powerflarm, etc....the smartest
investment might not be any avionics at all, but a ballistic recovery chute.

--
Mike Schumann

Mike,
with respect, it seems that you are quite fixated on ADS-B and the way
FLARM was (not) introduced to the US, and that you respond to every
post with that filter. I don't see the turmoil; I have a transponder,
so if you have powerflarm you will see me. If you have ADS-B, flarm,
or powerflarm I will see you, because I am going to have a powerflarm
ASAP. So you have flarm or powerflarm you will see me again. If power
traffic is a threat I will see it (their transponder). If they have
ATC following, or TCAS they will see my transponder.

The turmoil, is it that the exact form of what we will be using in 10
years is not clear? That seems a separate subject. And the ballistic
chute, like that Cirrus had that went through the tow plane, I recall
they burned on the way down, not a fun ride. It's speculation, but if
you project that into next year, and that glider on tow had powerflarm
it (in theory) would have alerted the glider to the incoming cirrus
when it alerted to the transponder and that could have made the
difference.

Any way you slice it the $1,600 seems like cheap insurance to me.

Brian
Old August 10th 10, 08:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 8/10/2010 12:59 AM, brianDG303 wrote:
On Aug 9, 9:05 pm, Mike
wrote:
[...]

There are a lot of people drinking the PowerFlarm koolaid. PowerFlarm
will not see everyone. In remote areas, where there are no ADS-B ground
stations and transponders are not interrogated by radar systems,
PowerFlarm will not see other aircraft that are equipped with
conventional transponders or ADS-B UAT transponders.

I'm not pushing any particular technology. My only point is that the
cornerstone of an effective collision avoidance strategy is to have
everyone utilize a single common technology.

Ten years ago that could have been FLARM, ADS-B UAT, or ....... What we
have now is a huge mess, where the FAA is pushing two flavors of ADS-B,
which can't see each other in remote low altitude environments, and now
the glider community is going off on their own with FLARM.

Maybe this will all shake out over the next ten years and everyone will
end up gravitating to one of these technologies. On the other hand, we
could also end up with ten more years of the current mayhem and fatal
accidents.

--
Mike Schumann
Old August 10th 10, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Aug 9, 4:09*pm, "Tim Mara" wrote:
I am one of the *TRIG dealers so take this as you will......but I've
delivered so far about 40 of these...had only one that had an issue that I
know of and it was a user error that cause the failure..and best of all, it
was simply replaced by our distributor, no questions asked for a brand new
one.....so from what I can see these have been absolutely excellent so
far.....and support have been 1st class...I'm still selling and delivering
them now and have not seen any reason not to continue!
Tim Mara

Thanks Tim.

Old August 10th 10, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 8/10/2010 7:37 AM, Grider Pirate wrote:
On Aug 9, 4:09 pm, "Tim wrote:
I am one of the TRIG dealers so take this as you will......but I've
delivered so far about 40 of these...had only one that had an issue that I
know of and it was a user error that cause the failure..and best of all, it
was simply replaced by our distributor, no questions asked for a brand new
one.....so from what I can see these have been absolutely excellent so
far.....and support have been 1st class...I'm still selling and delivering
them now and have not seen any reason not to continue!
Tim Mara

Thanks Tim.

Are any of them interfaced with a GPS navigation source and being used
for ADS-B out?

--
Mike Schumann
Old August 10th 10, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

On 8/10/2010 12:07 AM, Mike Schumann wrote:

There are a lot of people drinking the PowerFlarm koolaid. PowerFlarm
will not see everyone.

It is not the perfect solution, so you reject it entirely?

We have to use the best of what is available to us, and right now that
is PowerFlarm.

Old August 10th 10, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 8/10/2010 2:58 PM, Greg Arnold wrote:
On 8/10/2010 12:07 AM, Mike Schumann wrote:

There are a lot of people drinking the PowerFlarm koolaid. PowerFlarm
will not see everyone.

It is not the perfect solution, so you reject it entirely?

We have to use the best of what is available to us, and right now that
is PowerFlarm.

Powerflarm is not yet shipping. The Navworx ADS-B transceiver is.
Right now, ADS-B and PCAS are your options.

--
Mike Schumann
Old August 10th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Aug 10, 1:29*pm, Mike Schumann
wrote:

Powerflarm is not yet shipping. *The Navworx ADS-B transceiver is.
Right now, ADS-B and PCAS are your options.

--
Mike Schumann

Mike -

And the Navworx unit that you so heavily promote is $1500 + whatever
the cost for a display (I see some PNA software for $800, or you buy
an EFIS). AND it doesn't support FLARM and I don't see where it
detects and displays Mode C/S (unless you're receiving traffic relays
from ground stations).

--Noel

Old August 10th 10, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Correction: The Navworx RECEIVER is $1500 minimum. The transceiver
with both In & Out is $2500 - $2700. Plus display software.

--Noel

Old August 10th 10, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 8/10/2010 4:27 PM, noel.wade wrote:
Correction: The Navworx RECEIVER is $1500 minimum. The transceiver
with both In& Out is $2500 - $2700. Plus display software.

--Noel

You can't just buy an ADS-B receiver. You need to transmit ADS-B Out to
get traffic data from the ground station.

You are correct. There is no perfect solution. That's my point.
PowerFlarm also has its limitations.

--
Mike Schumann
Old August 11th 10, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

anytime...
best regards
tim