Trig TT21 Transponder ... reports?

Old August 19th 10, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek C

Default Trig TT21 Transponder ... reports?

On Aug 19, 4:19*pm, Mike Schumann
wrote:
On 8/19/2010 9:23 AM, Darryl Ramm wrote:

On Aug 19, 12:10 am, *wrote:
BTW ADS-B products used in contests are going to be "interesting" for
the poor CD to deal with, ... not just worry about somebody getting
weather reports. I'd expect Flarm to have that though out given their
existing "stealth mode" and logging of that mode setting.

Couldn't a pilot just have 2 Flarms, 1 to turn stealth mode logs in
with and a separate one to leach with?

-Paul

You'd have to smuggle it aboard and risk being disqualified and then
if you turned it on both Flarms are going to alert on the other
devices presence. If anybody knows if there is a way to suppress those
warnings and have the smuggled aboard device usable for leaching (e.g.
I wonder on PowerFLARM you might be able to turn the volume down and
even if the built-in display is useless because it has popped up a
traffic alert you might be able to bring up the moving map on an
attached PDA - but you might need to suppress the traffic alert pop-up
on that display (if the software supports that)).

Flarm also logs random position data of other aircraft in the IGC log
file and that can be uploaded to Flarm to do things like help Flarm
analyze effective range etc. and improve their products. I wonder if
turning on another Flarm or PowerFLARM unit in the same glider, even
if you were stupid enough to somehow turn off all the annoying alerts
between each unit and try to use it to leach off somebody that your
"official" FLARM unit would capture the presence of the "illegal" unit
in its IGC log file. Of course to catch you somebody really have to
suspect you are cheating and would then have to analyze your Flarm IGC
log file.

I kind of see it as the workable way in glider contests is you allow/
require Flarm based products and ban other ADS-B receivers (not
transmitters), Mode S TIS, even maybe in-cockpit reception of SPOT
trackers, etc. or you have to open the gates fully and allow any
tracking technology receivers and the full on leaching that probably
implies.

Darryl

Banning ADS-B in contests???? *We are all trying to increase the safety
of aviation by increasing situational awareness for all pilots and you
guys are talking about banning one of the most promising technologies
out there because someone might use it to cheat in a contest?????

Does anyone have any concept on how absurd this makes us look outside
(even inside) of our small insular world???

--
Mike Schumann- Hide quoted text -

In the UK we are supposed to use Flarm in 'stealth mode' for
competitions, where it still warns you of impending collisions, but
doesn't show you where other aircraft are that are not about to
collide with you. I have to admit that I used a non-stealth Flarm unit
in a 2009 Regional competition, and could often pick up other circling
gliders ahead on the Flarm before I could see them, but only within a
limited radius. Is looking for flashes of sunlight being reflected off
the wings of a highly polished sailplane circling in the distance
ahead of you also considered as cheating?

Derek C

Old August 19th 10, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Aug 19, 11:19*am, Mike Schumann
wrote:
Banning ADS-B in contests???? *We are all trying to increase the safety
of aviation by increasing situational awareness for all pilots and you
guys are talking about banning one of the most promising technologies
out there because someone might use it to cheat in a contest?????

Does anyone have any concept on how absurd this makes us look outside
(even inside) of our small insular world???

--
Mike Schumann

Yes, ADS-B is currently banned in US contests.

Yes, the Rules Committee is aware that this
"could be perceived as an issue" and will address
it at their November meeting.

Of course, some may remember that GPS
was banned in USA competitions for two
seasons after I introduced a GPS product
to market, and during that time we did have,
um, incursions...

IIRC "GPS was going to ruin the sport !"...

See ya, Dave
Old August 19th 10, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Aug 19, 7:28*am, SoaringXCellence wrote:
and the pilot has a glider
instrument rating;

There is no such rating! Instrument airplane is required.

Andy (GY)
Old August 19th 10, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Aug 19, 7:28*am, SoaringXCellence wrote:

Cloud flying in Class G airspace is technically permitted, but
probably an unwise activity.

I would like to see the rule permitting that!

See the FAR Basic VFR Minimums:
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_20...4cfr91.155.htm

"Clear of Clouds" is clearly spelled out. :-)

--Noel

Old August 19th 10, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cfinn

On Aug 19, 12:46*pm, Andy wrote:
On Aug 19, 7:28*am, SoaringXCellence wrote:

and the pilot has a glider
instrument rating;

There is no such rating! *Instrument airplane is required.

Andy (GY)

Actually, you take the practical in an airplane. Your certificate will
include glider. Specificlly, my certificate says, "Instrument
airplane, helicopter, and glider". One of the methods of maintaining
glider instrument currency is completing an "Instrument Proficency
Check" in a single engine airplane.

Charlie
Old August 19th 10, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

On 2010/08/19 7:22 PM, noel.wade wrote:
On Aug 19, 7:28 am, wrote:

Cloud flying in Class G airspace is technically permitted, but
probably an unwise activity.

I would like to see the rule permitting that!

See the FAR Basic VFR Minimums:
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_20...4cfr91.155.htm

"Clear of Clouds" is clearly spelled out. :-)

--Noel

Any glider specific realxation of the VFR rule will be in your countries
Part 104. New Zealand has one, as does UK - South Africa does not - not
sure who else has one.

Old August 19th 10, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Aug 19, 10:37*am, cfinn wrote:
Specificlly, my certificate says, "Instrument
airplane, helicopter, and glider".

Please check your certificate again and post the exact wording
including all punctuation. According to the FAA database, and
assuming I found the correct person, it should say:

Commercial Pilot
Airplane Single and Multi Engine Land
Rotorcraft Helicopter
Glider
Instrument Airplane and Helicopter

There is no glider instrument rating.

Andy

Old August 19th 10, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Aug 19, 10:22*am, "noel.wade" wrote:
I would like to see the rule permitting that!

See the FAR Basic VFR Minimums:http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_20...4cfr91.155.htm

"Clear of Clouds" is clearly spelled out. :-)

This has been beaten to death before. Instrument flying in class G
airscape is permitted with no flight plan if the plot is rated and the
aircraft is properly equipped.

VFR minima have no significance when flying IFR except that they stop
a VFR pilot from entering cloud and colliding with a pilot legally
flying on instruments.

Andy (GY/CFII)
Old August 19th 10, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Aug 19, 11:20*am, Andy wrote:

VFR minima have no significance when flying IFR except that they stop
a VFR pilot from entering cloud and colliding with a pilot legally
flying on instruments.

Right. The separation of the "Class G" statement from the rest of the
paragraph about IFR flying in the original post made me think that the
comment was disconnected from the comments about IFR in a glider.
Simple misunderstanding.

--Noel

Old August 19th 10, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

On Aug 19, 11:22*am, "noel.wade" wrote:
On Aug 19, 7:28*am, SoaringXCellence wrote:

Cloud flying in Class G airspace is technically permitted, but
probably an unwise activity.

I would like to see the rule permitting that!

See the FAR Basic VFR Minimums:http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_20...4cfr91.155.htm

"Clear of Clouds" is clearly spelled out. :-)

--Noel

Generally if the rules don't prohibit an activity it is allowed. For
example where is the rule that allows you to land on grass?

The rule you specfiy is for VFR operations, operating in a cloud is
either prohibited VFR or by definition an IFR operation.

My understanding is that if you are Instrument rated and current and
in a Instrument equipped aircraft you can fly into clouds in class G
airspace without a flight plan or ATC approval. The most applicable
rule is FAR 91.173 that requires a flight plan in "controlled"
airspace. The corollary is if it is required in controlled airspace
it must not be required in uncontrolled airspace.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL