Just pull the little red handle!

Old August 31st 10, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Default Just pull the little red handle!

I have felt for some time now that my back-pack parachute provides
little more than a false sense of security..............I don't think
I would ever get out of a spinning, tumbling ship. The BRS has been
demonstrated to work as low as 260 feet during the FAA certification
of the Cirrus. This could save you from a mid-air in the pattern or
that all time biggest killer. stall/spin turning final. BRS also
provides a way out of structural failures or pilot incapacitation. How
about stuck low on the wrong side of the ridge with nothing but trees
in all directions?

The BRS descent rate is about like a normal parachute (like stepping
off a 7' ledge). The Genesis installation calls for a 4-point bridle
that attaches to all 4 lift fittings, this will result in a wings-
level, slight nose down attitude under the chuts. Lowering the gear
will absorb some of the landing forces.

Flarm is great and I'd buy it in heartbeat if everybody had it. Lets
not forget that 2 of the 4 mid-airs in the US last year involved a tow
plane and some of them still don't even have radios, let alone
transpponders, Pcas or Flarm.

Bottom line is; We are all the chairman of our own safety committee
and we must take the actions we believe to be the best course to keep
us out of harms way. For me that includes installing a BRS.
Cheers,
JJ
Old September 1st 10, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Aug 31, 2:41*pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:
[snip]
The BRS has been
demonstrated to work as low as 260 feet during the FAA certification
of the Cirrus. This could save you from a mid-air in the pattern or
that all time biggest killer. stall/spin turning final.

Are you sure? Does anybody know at what height most spin-ins from a
base/final happen?

My concern there is the glider is already pretty low, especially if
trying to stretch their glider/hold off the turn. And the pilot is
already likely far behind the aircraft and so may be some delay in
pulling the handle.

I'm not disputing the benefits of a BRS in other situations (including
collisions in the pattern) I'm just not sure they would necessarily be
that useful in the classic over rudder/under piloting stall/spin off a
turn from base to final.

[snip]
Cheers,
JJ

I am hoping you buy a PowerFLARM as well as this BRS chute.

Darryl
Old September 1st 10, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Aug 31, 12:08*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
So what else is not clear?

Do you represent the manufacturer? If so, in what capacity?

Andy
Old September 1st 10, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Aug 31, 4:46*pm, Andy wrote:
On Aug 31, 12:08*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:

So what else is not clear?

Do you represent the manufacturer? *If so, in what capacity?

Andy

Represent anybody? On a good day I can barely represent myself. No I
do not represent Flarm, Trig, Becker, NavWorx, or any other company
whose product you'll see me talk about in detail on r.a.s. But I care
passionately that people understand technology related to collision
avoidance. Transponders, Flarm, ADS-B, glider batteries, etc. There is
all too much confusion about this stuff. I've been flying where we
have had some mid-air collisions in the area and other incidents and
lost too many people I know to mid-air collisions. This goes back to
the day I was flying out of Minden when the Hawker and ASG-29
collided. And all the subsequent confusion and misinformation I saw on
transponders, glider batteries, ATC radar, TCAS etc. so I've worked to
especially try to educate pilots in Northern California and Nevada on
those topics.

I'm voluntarily helping the folks who are putting together the USA web
site for PowerFLARM, esp. reviewing technical content on collision
avoidance systems. And I do give (free) feedback and suggestions to
Flarm folks at times on things, just as I do to Trig and others. e.g.
You'll see features in future Trig releases that I've pushed for. I've
also worked to educate some GA industry authors on technology issues
and in discussions with both pilot organizations and some avionics
manufacturers about how ADS-B things will or will not work easily for
pilots to use. In the weeds stuff but things I want to see the
manufacturers think of and want to see reviewers start looking for as
they discuss technology and review products. And some of that is
starting to slowly appear e.g. see Max Trescott in a recent EAA Sports
Aviation Magazine nicely clarifyied an ADS-B transmitter is required
for TIS-B to be received by a UAT receiver - the first time I've even
seen something as simple and important as that mentioned in any
popular coverage of ADS-B (thanks Max).

I'm pulling together content for our annual PASCO safety seminar where
I'll be talking about collision avoidance technology so I want to know
what things people find confusing or want information on. And Urs
Rothacher CEO of Flarm is speaking at that seminar on the history of
Flarm development. Should be interesting, well his bit at least.

So seriously what else is not clear? (BTW I just found one myself,
people need the power output specs for powering an external PDA etc.
to see if it can power their PDA/PNA. Also the actual power specs of
the device are still not public AFAIK).

Thanks

Darryl
Old September 1st 10, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Aug 31, 4:02*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
[snip]

I am hoping you buy a PowerFLARM as well as this BRS chute.

Darryl

I'm also mildly terrified of J.J. having access to a ballistic
anything while in the middle of a heated contest rules argument :-)

Darryl
Old September 1st 10, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Claffey

Flarm has been mandatory in Australia for at least the last 3 years in
National and regional comps. There has been no mid-airs in comps in that
time. There were on average probably one ore a little more mid-airs a year
before that.
It won't stop them all, I nearly got cleaned up by an inexperienced Pilot
this year but at least I knew he was there and I took avoiding action.
The last WGC in Hungary had about 70% Flarm, I reckon the guys without it
[on purpose for "tactical" reasons] were idiots!!
Initially the units were $500, now still under $1000 and can be linked to
maps etc. Towplanes have them too!
You guys in the US really should get on board! Whatever frequency your
government will allow should be able to be programmed in both Euroflarm
and Ozflarm.
I am seriously considering if I will fly in Uvalde or any further WGC
without mandatory Flarm.
Tom Claffey

Old September 1st 10, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Aug 31, 7:26*pm, Tom Claffey wrote:
[...]

The issue in the USA has really not been willingness to adopt Flarm
Technology amongst pilots. Flarm has not had product available for
sale in the USA. Likely for multiple reasons, including concern about
liability and the need for FCC approval which is a bit tougher than
many other countries. The choice of the actual frequncy to be used has
been done for years (and your Flarm units will probalby tune to that
frequncy if you brought them here). The first chance for USA pilots to
adopt this technology will be the upcoming PowerFLARM product.

I am not surprised at all to see Australia leading with technology
adoption(*), but the situation in the USA is a bit more complex with
more issues than airliner and GA traffic issues. That maybe makes the
PowerFLARM with 1090ES data-in/PCAS maybe even more interesting here,
but at a higher price than the older Flarm units.

Darryl
(* I am an Australian).
Old September 1st 10, 06:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

"Ramy" wrote

I concur. The most difficult and time consuming part is the egress
from the glider, not the release of the straps. It is unlikely to be
able to bailout from a glider below 1000 feet. A BRS could be deployed
instantly even from 100 feet.

Ramy
************
I wonder if you could have the red handle attached to an emergency release
pin on the gliders canopy, as in bubble clear thing over the top of the
cockpit. There could then be a line going from the bubble, to a release for
the seat safety harness, and the top of the parachute.

Jettisoning the bubble would carry the chute out in the slipstream to
inflate, which would then lift the pilot from the plane.

An idea, or just a poor idea? Sort of a poor man's ejection seat?
--
Jim in NC

Old September 1st 10, 08:02 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Sinclair View Post
[...]

I have always felt that listening to those with greater experience than myself is one of the best safety devices. Seems that today people spend more time flying with their heads inside the cockpit than outside. With a parachute, BRS, FLARM, survival kit, bail out bottle, knife, gun, flares, medical kit, lunch, snacks, condoms and everything else one could carry in a glider, it's a wonder these things can get off the ground.

As a relative newbie to the world of gliding, I have in my some 100 flight had two close calls. I consider myself a heads up kind of guy and try hard to keep my head on a swivel, my eyes wide open and paying attention.

I have asked a few local pilots why it seems that the preferred color for gliders appears to be white. I understand that the sun might degrade a more brightly painted ship faster than a base white one. Is this really true? It would seem to me that the cheapest form of avoidance would be making ourselves more visible. I am in the market for an older, aluminum ship and would consider painting it bright red if it would increase my visibility.

I understand that FLARM only works if the other guy has one. I guess for the time being I will have to depend on my parachute and luck for survival, along with a healthy dose of paying attention.

Walt
Old September 1st 10, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

"Walt Connelly" wrote in message ...

.... Snip ...
..

I have asked a few local pilots why it seems that the preferred color
for gliders appears to be white. I understand that the sun might
degrade a more brightly painted ship faster than a base white one. Is
this really true? It would seem to me that the cheapest form of
avoidance would be making ourselves more visible.

.... Snip ...

Walt

Here is an article you may want to read.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co...olor_Temp.html

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/