problems with downloading flights from 302

Old September 3rd 10, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

Default problems with downloading flights from 302

On Sep 2, 11:30*pm, 5Z wrote:
I thought the binary download is a raw memory dump, not a CAI,
suitable for debugging and nothing else.

Don't know for sure as it's undocumented. Only reason I was fooling
around with this was trying all available options to recover a flight
log with a security problem. It gave me a file with a .cai
extension. I don't recall now if I did anything with the file past
that point, or not. If they were using the same extension for two
different file types, well, I really don't have anything very nice to
say about that.

-T8
Old September 3rd 10, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
NG[_2_]

"...The record keeper simply validates a C302 file with the valicam2.exe file..."

By the way, valicam2.exe will not run on a 64-bit computer (most new
ones are), and R-Track has no plans to produce a 64-bit version. And
Microsoft's 32-bit emulator will only run on the high-end version of
Windows 7. So the requirement to run valicam on igc files needs to go
away....
Old September 3rd 10, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Sep 3, 5:53*am, NG wrote:
"...The record *keeper simply validates a C302 file with the valicam2.exe file..."

By the way, valicam2.exe will not run on a 64-bit computer (most new
ones are), and R-Track has no plans to produce a 64-bit version. *And
Microsoft's 32-bit emulator will only run on the high-end version of
Windows 7. *So the requirement to run valicam on igc files needs to go
away....

And http://www.dosbox.com or other possible solutions don't work? I
guess if you only want to do this via the Microsoft virtual machine
route then don't buy the Windows 7 Crap Edition.

Sorry it's just impossible to have simultaneous thoughts of sympathy
and Microsoft Windows purchaser in my head at the same time. I run
valicam2 on my Mac....

Darryl

Old September 3rd 10, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Hill[_2_]

At 12:53 03 September 2010, NG wrote:
By the way, valicam2.exe will not run on a 64-bit computer (most new
ones are), and R-Track has no plans to produce a 64-bit version. And
Microsoft's 32-bit emulator will only run on the high-end version of
Windows 7. So the requirement to run valicam on igc files needs to go
away....

or the GNSS flight recorder spec needs updating to keep pace with the
march of time and computer OS updates....

http://www.fai.org/gliding/system/fi..._spec_gnss.pdf

The last update was in May 2008 so the older DOS based conv/vali/data
programs would still run but the push was obviously to move over to the
IGC Shell method for windows.

Looking on the IGC site http://www.fai.org/gliding/gnss/freeware.asp it
looks like cambridge don't supply a DLL to work with the IGC Shell either
so they are locking their customers into old DOS utilities.

As more people move to 64-bit then the IGC Shell also needs to support
this as the ability to run old DOS utilities becomes increasingly harder.
However at present Appendix 3 states:

"The DLLs must work with 32-bit MS Windows Operating Systems used in
types of PCs commonly used for downloading flight data shortly after
flight. This includes, but is not exclusive to, Windows XP and Vista home
and professional editions."

Validating traces is still a valid requirement so the tools to do so need
to keep up with times.

Nick H

Old September 16th 10, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john mittell

On Sep 2, 7:25*pm, Robert Holliday wrote:
I currently download my flights using 3UTPC256 which creates an IGC file. I
am applying for a state record on one of my flights and we sent the flight
file to our state record keeper in the IGC format. He is insisting that we
send him a CAI file which he claims is more secure. Can someone help me
figure out how to get this flight off of my 302 in CAI. PS: i have SEE-
YOU installed on the lap top and it puts an icon before the IGC file name
on every flight I download. Thanks.
bob holliday USA

I suggest you talk with Paul Remde at Cumulus Soaring.
Old September 16th 10, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Sep 16, 8:56*am, john mittell wrote:
On Sep 2, 7:25*pm, Robert Holliday wrote:

I currently download my flights using 3UTPC256 which creates an IGC file. I
am applying for a state record on one of my flights and we sent the flight
file to our state record keeper in the IGC format. He is insisting that we
send him a CAI file which he claims is more secure. Can someone help me
figure out how to get this flight off of my 302 in CAI. PS: i have SEE-
YOU installed on the lap top and it puts an icon before the IGC file name
on every flight I download. Thanks.
bob holliday USA

I suggest you talk with Paul Remde at Cumulus Soaring.

Why? The question was answered here.

Darryl

Downloading from AOPA Lou Home Built 3 November 14th 06 02:56 PM
Help downloading this site TripFarmer Owning 17 December 2nd 05 01:59 AM
Downloading Flying Music? Jay Honeck Home Built 59 February 4th 04 06:08 AM
Downloading flying music? Jay Honeck Piloting 54 February 3rd 04 09:47 AM
Downloading Flying Music? Mark Mallory Owning 1 January 27th 04 12:48 PM