2010 Pilot Poll

Old September 21st 10, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim[_2_]

Default 2010 Pilot Poll

O.K.

All the questions are perfectly good and loking to gain insight
fromthe racing community.

But there are some glaring omissions to the overall content of the
Poll - For instance:

1) What should happen to the scores of pilots involved IN a midair?
Under international rules (I beleive) the pilots are scored to the
point of collision. This would have shaken up the results at Parowan
substantially this year. And it is an important safety issue - I do
not want to be out racing and wrapping up intoin a thermal with a ship
that has been possibly "winged" in some way.

2) No mention of recognition for Club Class (either scored as a subset
of Sports nationals or in a stand-alone contest class)? This despite
two succesful regional events. I would have been at both of them, but
for the fact that because I have a family, I can only afford (barely)
a club class-type ship, and being a family man can not commit to any
contest held during the school year. There are many more pilots/
gliders in my same shoes - has the RC thought about this when
crunching hte numbers of participation. Also, I'd be at next year's
Sports Nats - but wait, its beingheld in early May. Young Pilots with
early careers, Youth pilots, and Pilots with Kids - which probably
encompasses a big part of the potential Club Class pool - just can't
do that contest. Therefore they will not particpate - even if the will
is overwhlemingly there.

Yes,these are two issue which I have "skin" in the game over, but the
poll seems pretty light on the heavy, how do we make the sport better,
strategic questions, particularly with the proposed changes to US Team
- Club Class selection criteria.

I am willing to bet the RC wants us to know that it has no business
determining US Team selection criteria. That is certainly true.

However, if the RC would just really give the club class official
recognition (maybe on a provisional basis), maybe the class would be
substantial enough for the US Team Committee to be able to make a
considered (with real facts and participation data) decision vis a vis
Club Class selection.

EY
Old September 21st 10, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

1) What should happen to the scores of pilots involved IN a midair?

Some questions are so obvious, we can take action without having to
poll them.

2) No mention of recognition for Club Class

Lots of past club class polling, we didn't feel opinions had changed
enough to ask the same questions all over again.

Club class is available, just ask for a waiver and it will pretty much
automatically be granted.

My rough recollection of last year's minutes (see ssa website for
accuracy) was to stick at that level for a while, see if lots of
requests to run club contests come through, see if lots of people show
up at them, and see if there are lots of complaints that sports class
(big or small; both nimbus 3 and silent/1-26 can't fly club) is cut
out.

Please use the comments section of the poll to address issues like
this that we didn't ask questions about. We certainly want to hear if
you like or dislike the current club class plan.

PS if you want more club class contests, run one! So far only R5 S has
gotten going on this.

strategic questions, particularly with the proposed changes to US Team
- Club Class selection criteria.

Again, we polled it last year, and passed info on the the US team. I
didn't want to ask exactly the same question again. As explained in
another thread, they're thinking hard about the whole issue.

I am willing to bet the RC wants us to know that it has no business
determining US Team selection criteria. That is certainly true.

We don't, but we do pass on team selection opinions to the team, and
we occasionally "lend" them the poll. Note this year's question about
world class.

By the way, the team committee needs to think not only about what
makes people happy, but what will produce teams that people will
support. Send them your opinion with a big check!

Please use the comments section of the poll to let us know about
issues we didn't think of.

John Cochrane