Progress

Old September 20th 10, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Progress

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 13:06:57 -0700, Tony wrote:

I know i need to get audio Eric. I'm still holding out that I'll win the
Clear Nav raffle at New Castle...But yea I should work on freeing up
enough panel space for another vario.

If you see a used Borgelt B.40 going begging at a nice price - grab it.
They make nice noises, have a very fast response, are designed to have a
9v battery fitted in the back as emergency power and Mike Borgelt's
repair service is fast despite him being in Australia. Their only demerit
is that you have to push a button to see the average.

The other one to look for is the Tasman V.1000. It has all the stuff
mentioned for the B.40 plus an LCD display which uses blocks round the
edge for instantant climb rate and a digital average in the middle,
though its backup battery is an optional extra.

However, you can't fit a MacCready ring to either of them, which is a
good reason for retaining your mechanical vario as a backup.

Just so you know, I have a B.40 as my backup (and swap the 9v battery
annually) but was about to buy a new V.1000 when the used B.40 was
offered to me.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 20th 10, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

On Sep 20, 2:06*pm, Tony wrote:
On Sep 19, 7:13*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:

On 9/18/2010 7:23 PM, Tony wrote:

On Sep 18, 5:49 pm, *wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. I still think the MNAV vario was very nice and I
never felt quite as good about the 302.

Andy

i've got a mechanical Winter in the Cherokee and I'm kind of afraid to
replace it. After 5 years together I really know how to read that
vario and use it to center lift fairly quickly I think. *I am tuned to
the glider and the vario. The three of us are a system.

You'll get used to a new one in a few flights, and you don't have get
rid of the Winter. Lots of pilots like mechanical as a backup. You
should get a vario with an audio, though!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarmhttp://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

I know i need to get audio Eric. I'm still holding out that I'll win
the Clear Nav raffle at New Castle...But yea I should work on freeing
up enough panel space for another vario.- Hide quoted text -

My old CNAV still works very well, The CNAV's and MNavs come along
occasionally at reasonable prices.

Brian
Old September 21st 10, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Sep 20, 5:37*pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
[...]

yep martin, i've been keeping an eye out for either one for a while.
its obvious they are good varios. the people who have them seem to
keep them.
Old September 21st 10, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Tony,

my friend Dan is selling his Tasman, it is listed on Paul Remdes
website. My favorite "club" vario is the iLEC SC-7, it also has a
McReadring option.

Brad

Old September 21st 10, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Sep 20, 8:42*pm, Tony wrote:
Tony,

my friend Dan is selling his Tasman, it is listed on Paul Remdes
website. My favorite "club" vario is the iLEC SC-7, it also has a
McReadring option.

Brad

i just emailed him

hmmm will the Tasman V1000 work on just a static port or does it have
to have a TE Probe? No Total Energy on the Cherokee...
Old September 21st 10, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Sep 21, 7:25*am, Tony wrote:
On Sep 20, 8:42*pm, Tony wrote:

Tony,

my friend Dan is selling his Tasman, it is listed on Paul Remdes
website. My favorite "club" vario is the iLEC SC-7, it also has a
McReadring option.

Brad

i just emailed him

hmmm will the Tasman V1000 work on just a static port or does it have
to have a TE Probe? *No Total Energy on the Cherokee...

Tony,

add one of those vertical Nicks tubes to the Cherokee. what does your
winter vario use?

Brad
Old September 21st 10, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Sep 21, 9:40*am, Brad wrote:
On Sep 21, 7:25*am, Tony wrote:

On Sep 20, 8:42*pm, Tony wrote:

Tony,

my friend Dan is selling his Tasman, it is listed on Paul Remdes
website. My favorite "club" vario is the iLEC SC-7, it also has a
McReadring option.

Brad

i just emailed him

hmmm will the Tasman V1000 work on just a static port or does it have
to have a TE Probe? *No Total Energy on the Cherokee...

Tony,

add one of those vertical Nicks tubes to the Cherokee. what does your
winter vario use?

Brad

my winter is plumbed to the flask on one side and the static system on
the other.

i had a homemade vertical tube sticking up just behind the turtle deck
in years past. Built it according to Dick Johnson's article. When I
recovered the glider I left it off. Vario seems to work about the same
with or without it. Perhaps that drag reduction is why I've had so
many long flights this season
Old September 21st 10, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 07:50:26 -0700, Tony wrote:

i had a homemade vertical tube sticking up just behind the turtle deck
in years past. Built it according to Dick Johnson's article. When I
recovered the glider I left it off. Vario seems to work about the same
with or without it. Perhaps that drag reduction is why I've had so many
long flights this season

AFAIK none of the simple vario+averager type instruments have electronic
TE compensation - the B.40 and V.1000 certainly don't.

If you do get a pressure sensing vario, as opposed to a capacity flask/
flow type, and retain the Winter, you should at least glance at this:
http://www.borgeltinstruments.com/in...stallation.pdf

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 21st 10, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Berry[_2_]

In article
,
Tony wrote:

On Sep 20, 5:37*pm, Martin Gregorie
However, you can't fit a MacCready ring to either of them, which is a
good reason for retaining your mechanical vario as a backup.

Just so you know, I have a B.40 as my backup (and swap the 9v battery
annually) but was about to buy a new V.1000 when the used B.40 was
offered to me.

--
martin@ * | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org * * * |

yep martin, i've been keeping an eye out for either one for a while.
its obvious they are good varios. the people who have them seem to
keep them.

Been running a B40 for about 10 years as my primary vario. Small Winter
mechanical as a backup. MacCready ring on the Winter is for a DG600. My
glider is a H301 Libelle. Eh, close enough.

In all seriousness, I like the B40 as well or better than nearly any
other vario that I've flown with. The only thing I can say negative
about it is that the mechanical needle movement is not completely
invulnerable to damage. I forgot about a particularly rough railroad
crossing one night and hit it at speed. Car, trailer, and glider
launched on a short but exciting flight. The landing was firm. The vario
and my Winter ASI were somewhat worse for the experience. Borgelt fixed
the vario and I had it back in no time.