Downloading Flying Music?

Old January 26th 04, 06:04 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Downloading Flying Music?

We've got the PS Engineering CD/Intercom in our plane, and listen to CDs on
long trips.

I am obviously slipping into "dinosaur" status, as I have never downloaded
music, for "burning" onto a blank CD. I *have* burned CDs, but I've always
done it from tracks played off of another CD.

Does anyone here download (and then burn) CDs for listening while in flight?
Any recommended sites? Tips? Are these things still free, or did all the
freebies get sued out of existence? Thanks!

BTW: We've got FOUR new additions to the Rec.Aviation Rogue's Gallery!
They a

- The famous (infamous?) Badwater Bill Phillips, and the zillion planes he's
flown...
- Ross Richardson and his super 180 hp 172!
- CJ Campbell, world-famous flight instructor, and his fabulous 206!
- Bryan Chaisone, and his cool Robinson R-22 helicopter...

See all these guys at http://www.alexisparkinn.com/rec_aviation.htm .
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 26th 04, 06:20 PM
sean trost

Jay,
have you considered using an IPOD type device ? basically an mp3 player
married to a portable hard drive and holds very large amount of music.
and can be plumbed into the intercom.

as for downloading music. I used to be partial to Kazaa lite. but am
leaning towards napster again or Itunes. As these sites actually
support the music biz. and 99 cents per song aint bad.
all the best
Sean Trost

Old January 26th 04, 06:41 PM
Frank Stutzman

sean trost wrote:
have you considered using an IPOD type device ? basically an mp3 player
married to a portable hard drive and holds very large amount of music.
and can be plumbed into the intercom.

One of the guys on one of the Bonanza lists complained that his Ipod
skipped at altitude. One of the other guys happened to be a hard disk
engineer and explained that this would probably be expected at high
(greater than about 10,000 feet) altitudes. The disk heads float on a
cushion of air. At high altitude there isn't enough air density to keep
the heads floating reliably.

No personal knowledge of this, just repeating what I heard.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old January 26th 04, 06:52 PM
nafod40

Jay Honeck wrote:
We've got the PS Engineering CD/Intercom in our plane, and listen to CDs on
long trips.

I am obviously slipping into "dinosaur" status, as I have never downloaded
music, for "burning" onto a blank CD. I *have* burned CDs, but I've always
done it from tracks played off of another CD.

Does anyone here download (and then burn) CDs for listening while in flight?
Any recommended sites? Tips? Are these things still free, or did all the
freebies get sued out of existence? Thanks!

There are still freebies out there, if you know where to look. It's all
peer-to-peer, so everyone can share music with each other. Go to
http://www.kazaa.com for example. Don't you know a teenager? Ask'em,
they'll know what to do.

Buy a CD player that plays MP3s and regular music CDs. A single disc
with music stored in MP3 format can easily store 10 albums of music.
Amazing. There's a minor decrease in quality (depends on what bit rate
you sample the MP3 at), but your hearing's probably going bad as fast as
your prostate anyway, and you won't notice the diff.

Old January 26th 04, 07:17 PM
Jay Honeck

Buy a CD player that plays MP3s and regular music CDs. A single disc
with music stored in MP3 format can easily store 10 albums of music.
Amazing. There's a minor decrease in quality (depends on what bit rate
you sample the MP3 at), but your hearing's probably going bad as fast as
your prostate anyway, and you won't notice the diff.

Unfortunately, the CD player is built-in to the panel, and is only a couple
of years old -- so I'm not looking to replace it.

Any recommendations on software that will convert MP3 files to something
that is playable on a "regular" CD player?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 26th 04, 08:04 PM
nafod40

Jay Honeck wrote:
Buy a CD player that plays MP3s and regular music CDs. A single disc
with music stored in MP3 format can easily store 10 albums of music.
Amazing. There's a minor decrease in quality (depends on what bit rate
you sample the MP3 at), but your hearing's probably going bad as fast as
your prostate anyway, and you won't notice the diff.

Unfortunately, the CD player is built-in to the panel, and is only a couple
of years old -- so I'm not looking to replace it.

Too bad. It is a nice capability. But no biggie...

Any recommendations on software that will convert MP3 files to something
that is playable on a "regular" CD player?

If your computer has a read/write CD burner, it most probably came with
the CD Create software that all the companies bundle. You can also find
lots of software by googling "CD Burner". Toss in "Freeware" to see
what's out there that is free. The winamp app is good stuff, try
http://www.winamp.com/

It is only $15 for the full app, and it's not Microsoft.

Old January 26th 04, 08:24 PM
Morgans

"sean trost" wrote in message
om...
Jay,
have you considered using an IPOD type device ? basically an mp3 player
married to a portable hard drive and holds very large amount of music.
and can be plumbed into the intercom.

as for downloading music. I used to be partial to Kazaa lite. but am
leaning towards napster again or Itunes. As these sites actually
support the music biz. and 99 cents per song aint bad.
all the best
Sean Trost

A buck per song is not bad? Are you nuts? That is as much or more than you
would pay for a factory made cd, even more, when you consider the cost of
the blank data disk.

The only fair thing to do is rip off the music industry as bad as you can,
for overcharging us for music all these years.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 26th 04, 08:52 PM
ET

nafod40 wrote in
:

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

Don't use Kazzaa,,,, they install spyware/adware on your system...

--
ET

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old January 26th 04, 09:09 PM
DBlumel

A buck per song is not bad? Are you nuts? That is as much or more than you
would pay for a factory made cd, even more, when you consider the cost of
the blank data disk.

The only fair thing to do is rip off the music industry as bad as you can,
for overcharging us for music all these years.
--
Jim in NC

Sorry Jim, we live in a free market economy. If you don't want to buy because
the price is too high in your estimation, that's your choice. But you cannot
justify stealing because you think they charge too much. I suppose you would
only mark your products up 10% before selling, If you had anything someone else
would want. So if you don't like a price in the store I guess you would steal
that also. Or if you though they charged you too much last time you can steal
it this time. With irrational thinking like that its no wonder our country is
going to hell in a hand basket.
Old January 26th 04, 09:13 PM
Jay Honeck

The only fair thing to do is rip off the music industry as bad as you
can,
for overcharging us for music all these years.

No, the only fair thing to do is to use your dollars wisely, and purchase
the best quality stuff for the lowest price available.

Stealing the music is theft, and -- no matter the sins of the music industry
in the past (which I could dispute, but that's another post) -- I can't
condone it.

That said, I agree that a buck a song is outrageously high for a download.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Flying with music? caroline Aerobatics 0 September 18th 04 03:13 AM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 February 1st 04 07:27 AM
"I Want To FLY!"-(Youth) My store to raise funds for flying lessons Curtl33 Home Built 0 December 12th 03 12:01 AM
"I Want To FLY!"-(Youth) My store to raise funds for flying lessons Curtl33 Aerobatics 0 December 12th 03 12:00 AM
OT- beech starships still flying? patrick mitchel Home Built 6 November 30th 03 03:30 AM