Still interested in Lithium batteries for your glider?

Old March 5th 05, 12:51 AM
Eric Greenwell

Default Still interested in Lithium batteries for your glider?

If you are still interested in Lithium batteries for your glider, read
this article on the cautions given model airplane users. He gives
statistics and talks about safety aspects, including ways to avoid
torching your car or your house. Here's the article:

http://rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old March 5th 05, 01:26 AM
Greg Arnold

Eric Greenwell wrote:
If you are still interested in Lithium batteries for your glider, read
this article on the cautions given model airplane users. He gives
statistics and talks about safety aspects, including ways to avoid
torching your car or your house. Here's the article:

http://rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

What type of batteries are in Ipaqs?

Old March 5th 05, 03:43 AM
Andreas Maurer

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:51:15 -0800, Eric Greenwell
wrote:

If you are still interested in Lithium batteries for your glider, read
this article on the cautions given model airplane users. He gives
statistics and talks about safety aspects, including ways to avoid
torching your car or your house. Here's the article:

http://rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

These are exactly the batteries that are powering nearly any mobile
phone and any notebook that you can buy at the moment.
By the way - an extremely exciting glider called Antares is also
powered by them.

[Yup - I asdmit that these are also the batteries that Nokia had to
call back in the beginning some years ago because some scared their
users...]

It's not as bad as it sounds - you really have to rape a LiPo battery
to get an exciting result (the same happens with NiCd batteries, too)
- but so far the LiPo batteries need a more careful handlicg than a Pb
battery, and the saved weight is not worth the effort in a glider
imho.

Yes - I regard the loading of a LiPo battery with the NiCd software as
rape.

Bye
Andreas
Old March 5th 05, 04:24 AM
Bill Daniels

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
If you are still interested in Lithium batteries for your glider, read
this article on the cautions given model airplane users. He gives
statistics and talks about safety aspects, including ways to avoid
torching your car or your house. Here's the article:

http://rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

I spent a couple of days at the Academy of Model Aeronautics Convention
which was in the Ontario, CA Convention Center a month before the SSA
convention was in the same venue. SSA had a booth there.

LiPo battery vendors were everywhere on the convention floor. Electric R/C
helicopters and airplanes were being flown indoors all powered by LiPo
batteries.

I asked all the vendors about the "Fire/Explosion problem" with Lithium
Polymer batteries. They said, "Sure, if you are dumb enough to use a
charger designed for a lead acid battery." No one said there were any
issues with the batteries IF you used the correct charger and didn't do
something dumb like puncture a cell.

It's worth noting that the model airplane guys use Li-Po cells in metal foil
pouches instead of hard plastic boxes because they are lighter. Any Li-Po
battery likely to be used in a glider will be in a hard, impact resistant
case. The real problem is that 8AH, 14.8V Li-Po packs cost about $300.
That's likely to drop by 50% in the next year.

The only guy that claimed there was a problem was a guy in the parking lot.
However, he was setting on a case of homebrew Nitro-Methane model engine
fuel while puffing on a cigarette. I think his label said "Standback &
Duck".

Bill Daniels

Old March 5th 05, 02:32 PM
scooter

Bill Daniels wrote:
[...]

&
Duck".

Bill Daniels

Having flown Li-Po batteries in all range of radio controlled
contraptions for a few years now, besides the charging risk, another is
any - even momentary short circuit.

I charge my packs with the appropriate charger in a heavy ceramic dog
dish in case anything bad happens. Over the years, I have had packs
swell (again using the correct charger) but nothing else bad or
catastrophic.

I had to throw a pack that I was working on out the back door once
while soldering a connector on and shorted the leads with the soldering
iron tip. The pack immediately caught fire - smoke and smelly bad
stuff immediately!

The prices continue to drop and there are a lot of chargers to choose
from now but I will not be putting one in my airplane to save a few
pounds. Losing the weight myself is a better option!

Scott Elhardt