Help change GAS prices

Old May 17th 04, 02:36 AM
Bob Olds

Default Help change GAS prices

If everyone in the U.S. will NOT buy gasoline on MAY 19 , Then we
will hit the oil companies in the bottom line (Profit). It is
estimated that this would cost them in the millions.
I WON'T buy gas on May 19.

Bob Olds RV-4 , N1191X
Charleston,Arkansas
Old May 17th 04, 08:19 AM
Veeduber

Worth a try.

Dear Richard (and the Group),

The only message a one day deferral of gas-buying would send is that the
American public is as dumb as a stump.

If you want your message to appear in the bottom line of a corporation you must
boycot their product, as gun owners did with Smith & Wesson. To simply defer
your purchase is the sort of meaningless feel-good bull**** they feed to
college kids to keep them from burning down the school.

As a point of historical interest there has been at least a dozen such idiot
plans to "send a message" to the oil companies, dating back to the Arab oil
embargo following the 1973 'Yom Kipper' war. It doesn't take a rocket
scientist to see how ineffective they have been.

Want to send a REAL message?

Imagine what would happen if EVERYONE in the nation stayed home for a day.
Don't go ANYWHERE. Don't buy ANYTHING. Don't even turn on the TV. Freeways
completely empty of vehicles. Public buildings with their doors locked and
parking lots empty. Sporting events not being played in an empty, echoing
stadium.

Never happen of course, for the simple reason that such an expression of your
individual freedom just happens to be illegal for most of us 'free' citizens of
the United States of America.

Better to play it safe. So go ahead and defer your purchase of gas for a day.
Or fill up the day before. Really show those oil companies who's the boss.
Yeah... that should do it.

-R.S.Hoover
Old May 17th 04, 03:44 PM
David D Cowell

Why is that illegal??????

--
David D Cowell
Wildcat Computers, Inc.

Old May 17th 04, 06:21 PM
JohnT.

These various gas boycotts are an urban legend now. Just go to snopes
and search on gas boycott.

John

Old May 17th 04, 07:23 PM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:21:19 -0500, "JohnT."
wrote:

These various gas boycotts are an urban legend now. Just go to snopes
and search on gas boycott.

I wonder why they would even make that much attention as they have
accomplished absolutely nothing, nor have I ever head any claims that
one did. Guess I'll have to go check.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

John

Old May 17th 04, 08:06 PM
Roger Halstead

On 17 May 2004 07:19:16 GMT, (Veeduber) wrote:

Worth a try.

Dear Richard (and the Group),

The only message a one day deferral of gas-buying would send is that the
American public is as dumb as a stump.

Which we already knew.

If you want your message to appear in the bottom line of a corporation you must
boycot their product, as gun owners did with Smith & Wesson. To simply defer
your purchase is the sort of meaningless feel-good bull**** they feed to
college kids to keep them from burning down the school.

Which only works some of the time.

As a point of historical interest there has been at least a dozen such idiot
plans to "send a message" to the oil companies, dating back to the Arab oil
embargo following the 1973 'Yom Kipper' war. It doesn't take a rocket
scientist to see how ineffective they have been.

Actually it wasn't a boycott, but people conserving when we had that
real shortage back in the 70s. We started economizing, car pooling,
buying cars that got good gas mileage and it really did show up as a
drop in the demand for oil. Really put a crimp in the US auto
industry for a few years too.

But, we used less, so gas became plentiful, we forgot about becoming
really independent of foreign oil and we are now back to big engines,
6.000# plus vehicles, and the possibility of a real shortage this
summer because the refineries don't have enough capacity to provide
that much gas.

People cant take the blame, they need some one or something else to
blame so they blame the oil industry for making big profits because
the demand is at an all time high. They blame the politicians for not
forcing the oil refineries to charge less, all the time using more
gas. Proving once and for all, as does the TV program, there is no
intelligent life in the universe.

As I mentioned in another post; I now get 20% better gas mileage and
drive only 25% as much as I did 20, or even 10 years ago. My wife's
car has over 170,000 on it and it still gets 37 mph.

18 instead of 15 and 8,000 instead of 30,000, or 22,000 fewer miles.
If my math is correct I was using 2000 gallons a year. I now use 444.5
gallons for a decrease of 1555 gallons per year. At $2.00 per gallon
that is over $3,100 saved per year at today's prices.

However, it's not just the dollar savings, but the reduction in what
we use.

I wonder what effect it would have IF every family would reduce their
use by 75%, or even try. It is possible by learning to schedule and
combine trips. Most just complain and continue on with business as
usual as they don't want to deal with the inconvenience of planning
and scheduling.

Even though we could afford to drive as much as we used to and
purchase new vehicles every few years, we cut back on the use and
drive 'em till the wheels are about ready to fall off...or they get
totaled.

Old May 17th 04, 08:38 PM
Jay

Roger Halstead wrote in message
The problem is the refineries are running at capacity trying to meet a
record demand and until we, in general "conserve", the demand will
keep the price up there.

"Running at capacity" is just a b_llsh_t excuse for increasing
profits. They fear (rightly so) that people would get ****ed off if
they realized the gas companies largely control the market and set
whatever price they damn well please. If they ask for too much,
people will modify (in the long run) their consumption, if they ask
for too little, they've left money on the table.

With the amount of money that is at stake, do you think that for a
minute that the agrigate gasoline use of 10's of millions of people
would be so hard to predict that they would actually be caught off
guard (as opposed to intentionally having a shortage) by days getting
longer in the summer? Its been summer before, last year as I
remember, and I'm not even an high paid analyst.

If you really want to send a message to those crooks, support a
gasoline tax (in leiu of general obligation bonds and other taxes)
that fully supports the cost of people driving motor vehicles. This
includes road contruction, maintanence, highway patrol, uninsured
motorists going to the hospital, polution, alternative fuel
development, etc.

Its very simple, use more, pay more. Its crazy to subsidize the
consumption of road fuels with other taxes. Also its hard to jack up
prices when the actual costs of driving are being paid at the pump.
It will give people an incentive to conserve. You'll pay more at the
pump but less on April 15th. How well you make out will depend on how
much fuel you use.

V-8 powered Seabee Corky Scott Home Built 212 October 2nd 04 11:45 PM
Pitot tube prices B2431 Home Built 2 May 16th 04 08:13 PM
Time to change the air in your tires Rich S. Home Built 18 March 22nd 04 07:47 PM
Follow up Alright, All You Dashing, Swaggering Bush Pilots wmbjk Home Built 135 September 8th 03 06:09 AM
Change in TAS with constant Power and increasing altitude. Big John Home Built 6 July 13th 03 03:29 PM