Britain Between the Wars, pt 7 - Short Sterling.jpg (1/1)

Old January 26th 10, 02:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_4_]

Default Britain Between the Wars, pt 7 - Short Sterling.jpg (1/1)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Short Sterling.jpg (192.6 KB, 51 views)
Old January 26th 10, 07:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
®i©ardo

Mitchell Holman wrote:

Thanks for a great series but, sorry to be pedantic, but this one is the
Short Stirling, named after the Scottish town, rather than our currency.

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...ng_bomber.html

--
Moving things in still pictures

Old January 26th 10, 09:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton[_3_]

"®i©ardo" wrote in message
Mitchell Holman wrote:

Thanks for a great series but, sorry to be pedantic, but this one is the
Short Stirling, named after the Scottish town, rather than our currency.

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...ng_bomber.html

--
Moving things in still pictures

You mean it wasn't intended to pound the Germans, to leave marks on the
Reich ?

....to spread panic and depression

....so the Germans lose interest in warfare - leaving them broker than ever

all at a time when Britain had to fight a loan....

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old January 26th 10, 09:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
®i©ardo

On 26/01/2010 21:10, Dave Kearton wrote:
"®i©ardo" wrote in message
Mitchell Holman wrote:

Thanks for a great series but, sorry to be pedantic, but this one is
the Short Stirling, named after the Scottish town, rather than our
currency.

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...ng_bomber.html

--
Moving things in still pictures

You mean it wasn't intended to pound the Germans, to leave marks on the
Reich ?

...to spread panic and depression

...so the Germans lose interest in warfare - leaving them broker than ever

all at a time when Britain had to fight a loan....

Well, to be franc, we bet our bottom dollar on it!!!

--
Moving things in still pictures

Old January 26th 10, 11:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

®i©ardo wrote:

Thanks for a great series but, sorry to be pedantic, but this one is
the Short Stirling, named after the Scottish town, rather than our
currency.

And while it did fly some 3 1/2 months before the onset of WWII, it didn't
enter service until 1941, so not really "Between the Wars".

Old January 27th 10, 02:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 07:40:56 +1030, "Dave Kearton"
wrote:

"®i©ardo" wrote in message
Mitchell Holman wrote:

Thanks for a great series but, sorry to be pedantic, but this one is the
Short Stirling, named after the Scottish town, rather than our currency.

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...ng_bomber.html

--
Moving things in still pictures

You mean it wasn't intended to pound the Germans, to leave marks on the
Reich ?

...to spread panic and depression

...so the Germans lose interest in warfare - leaving them broker than ever

all at a time when Britain had to fight a loan....

Glenn? I think you're closest to Dave - would you please reach over
and give him a thwack for us? Preferably before dinar.

Thanks kindly.
Old January 27th 10, 08:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton[_3_]

wrote:

all at a time when Britain had to fight a loan....

Glenn? I think you're closest to Dave - would you please reach over
and give him a thwack for us? Preferably before dinar.

Thanks kindly.

Baht that's not fair, I was only shilling for Mitch, no need to dong me on
the head for that.

While he doesn't peso much, at least he's keeping it riyal.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old January 28th 10, 03:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_4_]

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
:

®i©ardo wrote:

Thanks for a great series but, sorry to be pedantic, but this one is
the Short Stirling, named after the Scottish town, rather than our
currency.

And while it did fly some 3 1/2 months before the onset of WWII, it
didn't enter service until 1941, so not really "Between the Wars".

If it was designed, manufactured and first flown between
the wars then it is Between The Wars in my book........