Flying to Russia. . .

Old August 28th 04, 05:20 AM
Chris W

Doug wrote:
It is 267 NM, Nome (PAOM) up to Wales AK (IWK) the directly across to
Russia, then down the coast to Providinia (UHMD), Russia which is the
closest Russian airport. Certainly doable in a small plane. Fuel is
certainly available in Nome, doubtful in Wales, and is probably
available in Provedinia, assuming you have cut through all the red
tape, I'm sure you will find out about fuel also.

I would have thought there would be some kind of a Runway in Uelen. My
plan makes the fuel problem all but disappear. I plan on doing this
trip in an RV-7 with a Deltahawk diesel engine. Since AV Gas is very
hard to find in Russia, and from what I understand the closest airport
that is likely to have it, is around 1600 miles from Nome. Since the
diesel can burn jet fuel, it should be very easy to get fuel, and with
that engine in an RV-7, I will have a range of over 700 NM with plenty
reserve.

--
Chris W

Bring Back the HP 15C
http://hp15c.org

Not getting the gifts you want? The Wish Zone can help.
http://thewishzone.com

Old August 28th 04, 05:31 AM
Chris W

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

Think about how you are going to get to Wales in the first place
though, because quite frankly there isn't really much special
about flying from Wales to Siberia other than the administrative
hassle. You're going to experience a lot more "risk", as far as
terrain goes, getting to Nome than you will from Nome north and
then west.

That was really the point of my first post. The trip from Nome to
Russia, via Wales is really pretty low risk in comparison.

Another thing you'll need to plan very carefully is where you
can and cannot buy av gas.

Since my plan is to fly this trip with a jet fuel burning Deltahawk
diesel engine pulling an RV-7, I won't have to worry about av gas and
with a 700+ NM range I could go straight from Anchorage, but that would
require a lot longer water crossing that I would want to attempt when
there is no need to. From everything I have read burning jet fuel will
make a trip through Siberia much more practical. I don't want to just
fly there, turn around and come back, I hope to spend at least 2 weeks
all over Siberia.