DIY Two-Stroke Engine Construction Methods

Old March 14th 10, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.scale,uk.rec.models.engineering

Default DIY Two-Stroke Engine Construction Methods

While it would be too heavy and make too much power for a US UL,
how about converting a VW engine to a two stroke?

You might get something resembling one of the old McCullough
drone engines.

--

FF
Old March 16th 10, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.scale,uk.rec.models.engineering
durabol[_2_]

Thanks for the responses.

-I planned to have one carburetor (and crankcase) for both cylinders.

-I have access to a lathe and a milling machine but I don't have that
much experience with them so I'll have to learn as I go or get someone
else to do the machining

-I do plan to build the engine in a modular way so I suppose I could
add more cylinders.

-I do have some experience with lost wax casting although not with
much success. The engine casting that I had envisioned may be too
complicated for the simple gravity casting techniques I was planning.
I also worry about hot tears of the cylinder as the aluminium cools
and casting decent heat fins.

-For the cylinder I was planning on just an aluminium wall since I
have heard "cheap" lawn mower engine can get 500h on them. I though
that the bearings in the engine will probably need to be replaced in a
few hundred hours anyways, so the bore could be resized then.

Brock
Old March 17th 10, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.scale,uk.rec.models.engineering
Tim Wescott

durabol wrote:
[...]

With some pretty fancy metallurgy you can use an aluminum cylinder wall.
It's how the Chevy Vega was done, and it worked great -- except when
it didn't.

There are other treatments that'll let you run a 'plain' aluminum
cylinder -- but none of them are simple, that I know of.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Old March 17th 10, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.scale,uk.rec.models.engineering
Ed Huntress

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
durabol wrote:
[...]

And the Porsche 928 V8, which worked quite well.

There are other treatments that'll let you run a 'plain' aluminum
cylinder -- but none of them are simple, that I know of.

The more interesting ones were Kawasaki's explosive coating of, first, an
iron wire, and then a molybdenum wire, which they used in a few racing
engines. They'd run a wire down the middle of the cylinder and run a pulse
of electrical current through it at some God-awful amperage, which would
vaporize the wire and coat the cylinder walls with iron and then moly.

Porsche and a few others used porous chrome platings; Porsche, in one of the
early versions of their Carrera engine, which I think was the 1350 cc model
used in early Speedsters and maybe the 550 Spyder.

The plain aluminum cylinders used in the Vega and the Porsche 928 used a
hypereutectoid silicon-aluminum alloy that precipitated crystals of silicon
when they cooled after casting. Mercury outboards used that method, too,
IIRC. Some Power Products 2-stroke lawnmowers used a similar alloy, but with
less silicon. Those alloys are similar to the ones used to cast pistons
today.

--
Ed Huntress

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Old March 17th 10, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.scale,uk.rec.models.engineering
Jim Stewart

Ed Huntress wrote:

The plain aluminum cylinders used in the Vega and the Porsche 928 used a
hypereutectoid silicon-aluminum alloy that precipitated crystals of silicon
when they cooled after casting. Mercury outboards used that method, too,
IIRC. Some Power Products 2-stroke lawnmowers used a similar alloy, but with
less silicon. Those alloys are similar to the ones used to cast pistons
today.

Don't most newer Briggs engines use AL
or pot metal block/cylinders?
Old March 17th 10, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.scale,uk.rec.models.engineering
Ed Huntress

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

The plain aluminum cylinders used in the Vega and the Porsche 928 used a
hypereutectoid silicon-aluminum alloy that precipitated crystals of
silicon when they cooled after casting. Mercury outboards used that
method, too, IIRC. Some Power Products 2-stroke lawnmowers used a similar
alloy, but with less silicon. Those alloys are similar to the ones used
to cast pistons today.

Don't most newer Briggs engines use AL
or pot metal block/cylinders?

'Don't know. I seriously doubt if it's pot metal.

--
Ed Huntress

Old March 17th 10, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.scale,uk.rec.models.engineering
TonyW

On 3/17/2010 10:34 AM, Jim Stewart wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:

The plain aluminum cylinders used in the Vega and the Porsche 928 used
a hypereutectoid silicon-aluminum alloy that precipitated crystals of
silicon when they cooled after casting. Mercury outboards used that
method, too, IIRC. Some Power Products 2-stroke lawnmowers used a
similar alloy, but with less silicon. Those alloys are similar to the
ones used to cast pistons today.

Don't most newer Briggs engines use AL
or pot metal block/cylinders?

AL but it doesn't last all that long. Tecumseh uses a thin cast in iron
sleeve and that's one of the big reasons their engines last longer. I
also bet the better B&S engines like the Vanguard V twins are sleeved...

Tony
Old March 17th 10, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.scale,uk.rec.models.engineering

In article , Tim Wescott wrote:
durabol wrote:
[...]

don't forget wet sleeving.
Old March 17th 10, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.scale,uk.rec.models.engineering
willshak

Jim Stewart wrote the following:
Ed Huntress wrote:

The plain aluminum cylinders used in the Vega and the Porsche 928
used a hypereutectoid silicon-aluminum alloy that precipitated
crystals of silicon when they cooled after casting. Mercury outboards
used that method, too, IIRC. Some Power Products 2-stroke lawnmowers
used a similar alloy, but with less silicon. Those alloys are similar
to the ones used to cast pistons today.

Don't most newer Briggs engines use AL
or pot metal block/cylinders?

But they have cast iron cylinder sleeves.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old March 18th 10, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.scale,uk.rec.models.engineering
bigegg

two words:

burt munroe

as an example of home-cast/home machined engines.

--
bigegg