Becker AR 4201

Old October 2nd 18, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default Becker AR 4201

I purchased a Becker AR 4201 out of a European glider, but it didn't come with a wiring harness. Any leads on a reasonably priced one? Also interested in a more detailed installation guide/electrical diagram of the output and power supply for this radio, as I may be able to make my own wiring harness if I just know which wires go where and for what. I'd also be interested in a functional used boom mike compatible with this radio. Thanks.
Old October 2nd 18, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

Wings and Wheels list 4201 hardness for $150, or will have one made.
I ‘searched‘ the item and a list of options came up.

Old October 2nd 18, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 1:20:05 PM UTC-4, Retting wrote:
Wings and Wheels list 4201 hardness for $150, or will have one made.
I ‘searched‘ the item and a list of options came up.

It's a standard DB25 connector (albeit in an atypical housing that locks on without screws - anybody know of a source for exactly such a connector?). For use in a single-seat glider (no intercom) probably only need 5 wires: ground, power, mic, PTT and speaker. $150 seems a bit high if you can solder your own. The owner's manual (available online) has the wiring info.
Old October 3rd 18, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 12:48:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 1:20:05 PM UTC-4, Retting wrote:
Wings and Wheels list 4201 hardness for $150, or will have one made.
I ‘searched‘ the item and a list of options came up.

It's a standard DB25 connector (albeit in an atypical housing that locks on without screws - anybody know of a source for exactly such a connector?).. For use in a single-seat glider (no intercom) probably only need 5 wires: ground, power, mic, PTT and speaker. $150 seems a bit high if you can solder your own. The owner's manual (available online) has the wiring info.

Love the Becker radios.

Three comments;

1) Use aviation Tezel wire. Wings and Wheels has that.
2) The connection to the microphone can be "tricky" due to the shielding and very fine wires.
3) The Becker version of the DB-25 connector can be purchased from http://cumulus-soaring.com.
4) The manual is online at http://www.becker-avionics.com/manuals/.

Unless you are confident with using a soldering iron, $150 seems pretty reasonable. This harness may be set up for a two seater. If you have a single seater W&W's may make a version for that also which could be cheaper. Call and ask.

Good luck.

- John
Old October 3rd 18, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 7:05:41 AM UTC-7, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
[...]

Nice to do it right the first time.
The Becker 6201 uses the same wiring harness, if you decide to upgrade.
Jim
Old October 4th 18, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

I have made roughly 30 harnesses for 4201s and depending how many I make in one go depends on the time needed. 1=1 hour total time. 2=1:20 3=1:40
If you are in practice and know what you are doing they are easy
Old October 4th 18, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, October 4, 2018 at 2:35:19 PM UTC-4, Ross wrote:
I have made roughly 30 harnesses for 4201s and depending how many I make in one go depends on the time needed. 1=1 hour total time. 2=1:20 3=1:40
If you are in practice and know what you are doing they are easy

Ross: where can you get the latch-on connector? (I can't seem to find just the connector on the cumulus-soaring website, only a full harness.)
Old October 4th 18, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

For stuff like this in the US, I use Digikey or Newark Electronics.
Both can be a PITA to search unless you have a bit more info (like a PN or MFR), but they both have a lot.
Sometimes (not great for these parts), use McMaster-Carr.
Old October 4th 18, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

You are looking for a 25 pin MHED connector

https://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product...0-45-----Black
Old October 5th 18, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Kunz[_2_]

On Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 9:58:52 AM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
I purchased a Becker AR 4201 out of a European glider, but it didn't come with a wiring harness. Any leads on a reasonably priced one? Also interested in a more detailed installation guide/electrical diagram of the output and power supply for this radio, as I may be able to make my own wiring harness if I just know which wires go where and for what. I'd also be interested in a functional used boom mike compatible with this radio. Thanks.

Do these use the high density pins or the regular pins? I have the crimper for the regular size pins but have been unable to find one that works with the HD pins.

FS: 5 Becker 4201 + 1 Becker 3201 + 1 Dittel FSG5 Handheld Ross[_3_] Soaring 10 April 4th 18 04:36 PM
FS: 4 Becker 4201 Radio Ross[_3_] Soaring 3 May 24th 17 09:19 PM
FS: Becker 4201 5 Available Ross[_3_] Soaring 6 February 28th 17 07:56 AM
FS: Becker 4201 Romeozulu Soaring 0 March 7th 14 12:21 PM
FS: Becker AR 4201 Don[_4_] Soaring 0 September 19th 12 05:16 PM