True Cost Of Twin Ownership

Old July 2nd 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mark T. Dame

Default True Cost Of Twin Ownership

A friend and I are considering purchasing an airplane sometime in the
next year or so and we are looking at high performance singles and light
twins. We're pretty much up to speed on the ownership costs of a
Saratoga or similar, but we're not real clear on what a light twin like
a Baron or 310 would cost to operate, specifically maintenance.

I've been told that the maintenance costs on a twin are four times what
they are on a similarly powered single. Is that accurate or an
exaggeration? Are there any really bad maintenance hogs that we should
stay away from? Any other advice?

TIA!

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame
## CP-ASEL-IA, CFI-A, AGI/IGI
Old July 2nd 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John[_9_]

On Jul 2, 8:50*am, "Mark T. Dame" wrote:
[...]

I would say that in general basic twin maintenance costs are probably
2.5 to 4 times a complex single, unless that single is a P210 and the
twin is a Seminole. At the very least a twin is never twice what a
single is in terms of maintenance costs. The problem with a lot of
twins is that they were bought by people who didn't consider all the
costs involved. They quickly realize they are close to being in over
thier head and try to cut costs as much as they can. Invariably
useage and maintenance suffers and the next owner ends up paying the
bills.

As with any aircraft acquisition a thorough pre purchase inspection by
a kowledgeable mechanic will be worth the cost even if you pay for two
of them before finding the right airplane. Better to pay now for a
regularly flown and well maintained plane or I would also expect to
spend two to three years getting the squawks worked out before
maintenance costs fall to a regular number.

Aircraft to consider staying away from, turbocharged and pressurized
types, they are always more maintenance intensive often because access
to the interior is inhibited by all the openings being smaller and
fewer than a regular version. Anything with geared engines as well;
parts and knowledge base on the geared engines are getting few and far
between.

The Piper Seneca has the advantage of being basically twin engined
Saratoga so there is great system and parts commonality and it is not
that great leap in terms of maintenance.

John Dupre'
Old July 2nd 08, 08:38 PM
rotor&wing rotor&wing is offline
Member

Location: florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. Dame View Post
[...]

Take your hourly fuel cost and multiply by 4. I owned a 1972 C-310Q for 9 years. It was one of the most reliable airplanes I ever owned. My advantage was I could maintain it myself, I have over 15,000 hours logged and 11,000 multi, so my insurance was very reasonable.

The 310 burns 25 gallons an hour in cruise. At today's prices that's $125 per hour in fuel, so multiply it times 4 and you get $500/per hour. I would say that would be a good ball park figure to work on.
Old July 3rd 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

Mark, if ya gotta ask - ya can't afford it!
Last year, my twin cost ~$300 an hour to fly, all up.... I'm working
that figure down this year by trying to fly more hours... Hope ot get
it to $180, or so...

denny
Old July 3rd 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mark T. Dame

Denny wrote:

Mark, if ya gotta ask - ya can't afford it!

Yeah, I know. But truly, I don't think many of can afford flying these
days, but we rationalize it anyway and pretend we can.

Last year, my twin cost ~$300 an hour to fly, all up.... I'm working
that figure down this year by trying to fly more hours... Hope ot get
it to $180, or so...

What kind of plane? How many hours did you fly last year?

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame
## CP-ASEL-IA, CFI-A, AGI/IGI
Old July 3rd 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

"Mark T. Dame" wrote in message
A friend and I are considering purchasing an airplane sometime in the next
year or so and we are looking at high performance singles and light twins.
We're pretty much up to speed on the ownership costs of a Saratoga or
similar, but we're not real clear on what a light twin like a Baron or 310
would cost to operate, specifically maintenance.

I've been told that the maintenance costs on a twin are four times what
they are on a similarly powered single. Is that accurate or an
exaggeration? Are there any really bad maintenance hogs that we should
stay away from? Any other advice?

I've got a buddy that has a Twin Comanche. I'm not really sure what his
operating expenses are, but I know he burns about 8gph per side @ about
160kts. Comparing that plane to a complex single equal in speed such as
something like a 182 RG and I can't imagine the operating expenses being
anywhere close to 4x. 2x maybe.

Old July 3rd 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 2, 5:50*am, "Mark T. Dame" wrote:
A friend and I are considering purchasing an airplane sometime in the
next year or so and we are looking at high performance singles and light
twins. *We're pretty much up to speed on the ownership costs of a
Saratoga or similar, but we're not real clear on what a light twin like
a Baron or 310 would cost to operate, specifically maintenance.

I've been told that the maintenance costs on a twin are four times what
they are on a similarly powered single. *Is that accurate or an
exaggeration? *Are there any really bad maintenance hogs that we should
stay away from? *Any other advice?

Call your broker and ask about the insurance rate. That may make up
your mind right there.

-Robert
Old July 7th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mark T. Dame

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Jul 2, 5:50 am, "Mark T. Dame" wrote:
A friend and I are considering purchasing an airplane sometime in the
next year or so and we are looking at high performance singles and light
twins. We're pretty much up to speed on the ownership costs of a
Saratoga or similar, but we're not real clear on what a light twin like
a Baron or 310 would cost to operate, specifically maintenance.

I've been told that the maintenance costs on a twin are four times what
they are on a similarly powered single. Is that accurate or an
exaggeration? Are there any really bad maintenance hogs that we should
stay away from? Any other advice?

Call your broker and ask about the insurance rate. That may make up
your mind right there.

(-: That's definitely a factor, however, the whole point of going with
a twin is for extra comfort when flying IFR that if I loose an engine
I've got some better options than with a single. Otherwise, a twin
doesn't really make any sense.

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame
## CP-ASEL-IA, CFI-A, AGI/IGI
Old July 7th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
~^ beancounter ~^

" when flying IFR that if I loose an engine
I've got some better options than with a single"

the accident data does not support that....

Old July 7th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Stewart

~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:
" when flying IFR that if I loose an engine
I've got some better options than with a single"

the accident data does not support that....

Attributions should be left in when you edit.

The twin accident statistics are one thing.
An individual's skills, judgement and training
will cause a specific outcome that may or may
not follow the statistics.

Cost of ownership???? Lou Owning 46 March 30th 07 01:54 PM
True Cost of Older Bonanza [email protected] Piloting 10 April 25th 06 04:36 PM
True cost of ownership Lou Parker Owning 8 October 19th 04 11:53 PM
cost of ownership The Weiss Family Owning 74 May 28th 04 11:58 AM
True costs of a light twin... Captain Wubba Owning 20 November 20th 03 02:32 AM