A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Parachute Service Life Limit - there is no 20 year rule!

Old March 18th 18, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default Parachute Service Life Limit - there is no 20 year rule!

Sorry I missed the sarcasm.Â* Now I'm chuckling. :-[

On 3/18/2018 10:53 AM, wrote:
Lolz. No worries Dan, calling for more rules by me was sarcasm. But it is a good point. Why didn't Allan leave parachute airworthiness up to pilots and their riggers? Kind of a dbag move eh?

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 19th 18, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams
external usenet poster

People will have their windmills to tilt, but I wish something as arbitrary as age only had not crept into any aspect of gliding-aviation.

afterall, I'm 13 times older than my 'chute.
Old March 19th 18, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
external usenet poster

On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 11:53:55 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Lolz. No worries Dan, calling for more rules by me was sarcasm. But it is a good point. Why didn't Allan leave parachute airworthiness up to pilots and their riggers? Kind of a dbag move eh?

I don't believe that Allan (great speaker BTW) can mandate to individual riggers what they will or won't pack. Wall all know of packers that don't have any issues with packing 20 year old chutes. Ultimately, it is the rigger's (and manufacturer's) business decision on what they will pack based on their liability concerns. One unlucky event could meaning loosing their insurance and the doom of their livelihood.

Ultimately, my personal bottom line is that I only have one life to live and I want a new(er) chute on my back just in case. Pretty cheap insurance. John OHM Ω
Old March 19th 18, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The 20 year sham has been promoted and pushed on the industry by him. If an IA was out there pushing for a 20 year life limit on gliders you'd all be having a fit. Gliders and parachutes are both built to FAA standards, inspected and maintained by FAA certificated professionals.
On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 10:23:28 AM UTC-4, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 11:53:55 AM UTC-5, wrote:

I don't believe that Allan (great speaker BTW) can mandate to individual riggers what they will or won't pack. Wall all know of packers that don't have any issues with packing 20 year old chutes. Ultimately, it is the rigger's (and manufacturer's) business decision on what they will pack based on their liability concerns. One unlucky event could meaning loosing their insurance and the doom of their livelihood.

Ultimately, my personal bottom line is that I only have one life to live and I want a new(er) chute on my back just in case. Pretty cheap insurance.. John OHM Ω