Global Warming The debbil made me do it

Old March 7th 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.global-warming,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default Global Warming The debbil made me do it

Dan wrote in
:

On Mar 7, 11:58 am, "Dan Luke" wrote:
"Denny" wrote:

Try this
http://tinurl.us/a8b68b

Typical denier cherry picking. Take an unusually warm January,
compare it to an unusually cold January and declare that a century of
warming has been wiped out. Meanwhile, ignore the rest of graph that
shows both the extreme annual variability of the climate and the long
term trend.

What will they say if January '08 is warmer, that global warming has
started again? I doubt it.

Meanwhile, back in the real world of science:

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/2007/

http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/docs/2007/...sen_etal_2.pdf

--
Dan
T-182T at 4R4

Oh brother...

Unless you haven't notice, there is no stasis in the Earth's climate,

So?

just as there is no statis in geology, the sun, the planets, or
anything else.

So?

There never has been and there never will be.

So?

Anyone who says otherwise is lying,

And anyone who sayd the other side is saying so is lying.

with the motivations varying from
power grab to increased research funding to old boy networking.

Humans adapt, period.

That's why the Inuit survived as well as the Masi. Hot or cold, dry or
wet, humans have adapted.

And thank God for indoor heating and air conditioning.

Global warming/climate change/the sky is falling is another load of
crap brought to you by Chicken Little and his/her cohorts.

And you cans end me all the NASA links you want -- because the only
thing they've not changed their collective bureaucratic minds on is
spin recovery and that icing is bad and killing astronauts is bad.

Yeh, right.

Bertie

Old March 7th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

"Dan" wrote in message

Unless you haven't notice, there is no stasis in the Earth's climate,
just as there is no statis in geology, the sun, the planets, or
anything else.

There never has been and there never will be.

Pulitzer winning author and civil war historian Bruce Catton noted that all
North American civilization and human history is what happened between ice
ages, and someday Detroit will be crushed by ice and ground into sand. It
shouldn't take politicians to tell us, however, that there are mercury in
the fish, PCBs in the river, concrete-etching acids in the rain, smog in the
air and rampant, unexplained asthma epidemics in children.

For twenty or thirty years or more people refused to believe that smoking
was dangerous, and some still refute that second hand smoke is toxic.

As a true conservative and conservationist I tend to think that reasonable
caution is in order. Maybe it's exaggerated, maybe it's not. But, we can
all look at the damage done by excess living and industrial waste and know
that we've seen all this before. In Oregon, there was a time when trout
fry introduced to the Willamette River died almost immediately from the
toxins, and the river still smells like a latrine. For over a century
this wasn't viewed as a problem and anybody who made a fuss about raw sewage
in the drinking water was a radical.

I prefer to put the politics aside and simply look at the fact that it's
possible, and if it's possible, it is our responsibility to guard our way of
life against the potential threat. I haven't read the Gore book, didn't
vote for the guy, and I don't buy into the extremist/alarmist propaganda,
but, having been accused of being an ecoterrorist for simply stating that if
a company clearcut over a certain streambed, it would kill off our native
Coho salmon, I know the truth is in the middle somewhere and so it must be
identified and considered. Politics and economics will NEVER lead us to
the truth of the matter, but, Easter Island offers us a parable of what can
and has happened to civilizations who didn't properly respect their
environment.

-c

Old March 7th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.global-warming,alt.usenet.kooks
mariposas rand mair fheal

In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Dan wrote in
:

"Denny" wrote:

Oh brother...

Unless you haven't notice, there is no stasis in the Earth's climate,

So?

do you mean stasis or hystersis
because there is hystersis in the climate

Humans adapt, period.

humans have a unique ability on this planet
to understand themselves and the system they are in

of course having the ability doesnt mean humans are obligated to use it

That's why the Inuit survived as well as the Masi. Hot or cold, dry or
wet, humans have adapted.

- a touch of the old caligua eh
- the roman empire lasted a long time
- not too many of the roman emperors did

arf meow arf - everything thing i know i learned
from the collective unconscience of odd bodkins
nobody could do that much decoupage
without calling on the powers of darkness
Old March 7th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.global-warming,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

mariposas rand mair fheal wrote in
:

In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Dan wrote in

@f47g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

"Denny" wrote:

Oh brother...

Unless you haven't notice, there is no stasis in the Earth's

climate,

So?

do you mean stasis or hystersis
because there is hystersis in the climate

Really? That anything like the lapse rate?

Humans adapt, period.

humans have a unique ability on this planet
to understand themselves and the system they are in

Well, some do.

Bertie

Old March 7th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 7, 2:05 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:

IOW, don't confuse you with facts. Fine.

--
Dan

Ok.. facts. 20 foot sea level rise based on which incontrovertible
evidence?

Will we have a 10 foot rise in 50 years?

5 feet in 25?

Sorry, I'm not buying the sleight of hand that is the "Climate Change"
crisis of the moment.

We had far warmer temperatures earlier in our history, and far colder.

But true believers in a religious cause can't be "convinced."

Dan
Old March 7th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 7, 3:39 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dan wrote in news:50479332-f8aa-444e-b004-
:

On Mar 7, 2:05 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:

IOW, don't confuse you with facts. Fine.

--
Dan

Ok.. facts. 20 foot sea level rise based on which incontrovertible
evidence?

There's no such thing as incotrovetible evidence.

Will we have a 10 foot rise in 50 years?

5 feet in 25?

Sorry, I'm not buying the sleight of hand that is the "Climate Change"
crisis of the moment.

Great, stick a gun in your nmouth and play russian roullette, bjust
don't expect to try snd take me with you without a fight.

We had far warmer temperatures earlier in our history, and far colder.

But true believers in a religious cause can't be "convinced."

I know.

Bertie

You seriously believe all the alarmist noise?

Seriously -- what are you expecting to happen?

Even the True Believers have downplayed Al Gore's outrageous
predictions (such as sea level rise of 20 feet in 100 years).

"When Michael Crichton said that 'Historically, the claim of consensus
has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate
by claiming that the matter is already settled,' he was right. When it
comes to the natural sciences consensus is not science, and science is
not consensus."

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story....9-3004159a2185
Old March 7th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.global-warming
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Dan wrote in
:

On Mar 7, 2:05 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:

[...]

That people wil continue to pump **** into the atmospehre nad sea until
they break it.

Even the True Believers have downplayed Al Gore's outrageous
predictions (such as sea level rise of 20 feet in 100 years).

"When Michael Crichton said that 'Historically, the claim of consensus
has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate
by claiming that the matter is already settled,' he was right. When it
comes to the natural sciences consensus is not science, and science is
not consensus."

Oh well, if Michael Chrichton said it.

Jesus wept.

Now, about the work "belief" I don't "believe" anything. I can see evidence
and can see the logical result according to the best information available.

Believers generally start with a need and use the belief to fill it.
Religion is the best example of course, and one of the reasons that people
get so riled up about it is investment. And generaly a pretty short sighted
and narrow view of the investment to boot.

So, no, I don't believe it, I just see it as a likely consequence based on
my best understanding of the sciences involved. I have no investment and
I'm not crying about the sky falling.

How about you?

Bertie

Old March 7th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

Sorry to cloud your thinking, but here are the facts you desired.

Unfortunately they don't square with your preposterous claims or 20'
sea level rise.

FACT: The National Academy of Sciences reported in 2001 that, "Because
of the large and still uncertain level of natural variability inherent
in the climate record and the uncertainties in the time histories of
the various forcing agents...a causal linkage between the buildup of
greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and the observed climate changes
during the 20th century cannot be unequivocally established." It also
noted that 20 years' worth of data is not long enough to estimate long-
term trends.

FACT: Predictions of 6°C temperature rises over the next 100 years are
at the extreme end of the IPCC range (read the report).

FACT: Both James Hansen of NASA--the father of greenhouse theory--and
Richard Lindzen of MIT--the most renowned climatologist in the world--
agree that, even if nothing is done to restrict greenhouse gases, the
world will only see a global temperature increase of about 1°C in the
next 50-100 years. Hansen and his colleagues "predict additional
warming in the next 50 years of 0.5 ± 0.2°C, a warming rate of 0.1 ±
0.04°C per decade."

FACT: No one has provided data that conclusively links human activity
to the temperature rise of 0.6 C over 100 years.

FACT: No one has proven a causal link between CO2 and global
temperatures. It may be a cause, but is more likely an effect.

Dan

Old March 7th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.global-warming
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Dan wrote in news:4e7e8669-0788-4ab0-920b-
:

[...]

You won't be convinced and this pile of faulty reasoning and defective
argument isn;t going to convince me.. ....

Bertie